Did you mean: 
Need help?

Powerline WiFi Extender- Slow Download but Fast Upload

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hey everyone,

Looking for some help please.

I recently bought the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Extender Kit as I have a room at the opposite side of my house form the router that has poor signal and always drops out.

When my desktop connects to the router it runs at normal download speeds of between roughly 65-75Mbps download, its too imtermitent and will consistently disconnect which is why I thought I would try the extender kit to get something consistent.

When I plug the powerline wi-fi extender in (I've tried power sockets getting close and closer to the router) I mainly get download speeds of around 0.5-1.5Mbps but normal upload speeds of around 15-17Mbps, this seems really odd.

Very occasionally I get a download speed of around 55Mbps, which I would be happy with if it was consistent but it then drops out after a minute or two and returns to either very slow or not connecting.

I've tried turning every appliance in my house off while trying to troubleshoot for interference but its made no difference.

The same applies for other devices I have tried, my phone and laptop.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can potentially provide me with any ideas or tips that this might stem from?

I have seen a couple of articles online but they seem to relate to AMD drivers which I dont have installed anyway.

So far im considering it a complete waste of money.

Many thanks for any help,

Stephen

Highlighted
Community Star

It is not that the extender is faulty, but a case of WiFi interference.

You need to make sure that the router & extender are using the best Wi-Fi channels (also taking into account other routers in your locality), or the extender could interfere with the router or vice versa. If you would like me to help you with this, please let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah some assistance would be great. I am familiar with how to login and change channels etc.
Are there specific ones I should try and use to see if this cancels the issue out?
Highlighted
Community Star

You shouldn't be choosing channels without knowing how congested the band is. I will send you some information about this tonight.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster

2.4.PNG5.PNGNetwork Quality Powerline.PNGNetwork Quality Router.PNGStrength.PNG

Hey sorry for the delay in reply.

I spent about 2 hours just trying to get some sort of signal on the wifi to be able to uplaod these.

Hopefully I followed what you needed.

Highlighted
Popular Poster
I get the feeling I haven't done something right here.

Another odd one is that when I have Acrylic open for some reason im now experiecning my signal not working at all... but as soon as I close it starts working (ish). I'll have a look at trying to run one of the other tools.
Highlighted
Community Star

I can't remember, have you disabled the 2.4GHz band on both router & extender, or set your network card in your PC to only use the 5GHz band? There are no channels showing up at all in the 2.4GHz band.

Log into either the router or extender & move the 5GHz channel to 52, but note, because of DFS regulations, it cannot broadcast on channel 52 for at least one minute, whilst other checks are done.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hey,

I had disabled the 2.4GHz network at the time of doing this.
I got fed up last night and pushed all the reset pins, uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it.
I'll update you tonight with how its looking and what results changing to channel 52 make.

Many thanks for your input so far!
Highlighted
Community Star

No problem, whenever you have the time. I was just a bit surprised to see no 2.4GHz channels.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster

2.4GHz.PNG5GHz.PNGNetwork All.PNGSignal 1.PNGSignal 2.PNGSignal 3.PNGSignal 4.PNG

Hey,

So I've tried this again and hoping you can help further.

I thought I had it after setting to channel 52 but then I faced the exact same issues again.
Just as I managed to get on and write this im nack to almost speeds of about 25 down and 12.5 up.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Highlighted
Community Star

First off, the 2.4GHz band, you need to move the extender to channel 11, as it is currently interfering with the router. I can see the extender on channel 36, but the router is showing as channel 52, with an RSSI of -64 in the AP summary, but nothing is showing in the channel display at the bottom of the 5GHz channels. Not really sure why that is.

Keith