Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Problem with Fibre Broadband Speed - Below Minimum Guaranteed

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Would one of the OCEs be able to assist please.  A few months ago BTOR moved our line to a nearer FTTC location.  We received improved speed of around 39-40MB.  Recently the speed has dropped off to below 20MB.  I used the online service status checked which reported a fault and TT sent me a new router.  That is installed with new cables and plugged directly into the master socket.  The problem still persists and the online service status says we are below minimum speed and there is an issue, but no longer identifies the router.  Speed and interrupts seem to be getting worse.

We have no telephone extension wiring at all and are plugged directly into the master scoket.  I have a wired connection to my PC.  Internet speed test shows anything from about 2MBs to 18Mbs,  Router at the moment is reporting 20MBs.  As mentioned we were getting 40Mb and are now having problem with Zoom and Team conference calls and downloading films, so something is wrong.

TT show our speed range of 14-26MBs, but I don't think this has been updated since we moved cabinet.  I spoke to BT to see what they would offer if I moved over and they said we should get 31-36MB at our location.  This ties in well with the actual 39-40 we were seeing.  So it seems to me there is a line problem somewhere as we are on a new router and directly wired.

Could you perform some checks at your end - the service status checker seems to confirm there is a problem.  If so can we get an engineer to look at it.

C

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @cgclassics your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear soon.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi cgclassics,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Just before we arrange the engineer visit can I confirm if the master socket has a test socket and also how long the new router has been connected for?

Even though there is no wiring it would also be good to rule out the faceplate too.

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle.  The new router has been installed for about a week, but I am getting the same speed as the old one, which the Service Status dashboard said should be replaced.  The dashboard says that our speed isn't as good as it should be.

We have a new Mk4 master socket installed by BTOR about 12-18mths ago.  I have tried with and without the faceplate removed but it does not seem to make a difference

When BTOR moved the cabinet we got 39-40Mbps which based on an online chart of speed versus distance from the new cabinet was about spot on.  BT also say if I moved service to them to expect 31-36MBs with a guaranteed minimum speed of high 20s.  I can't understand why TT say on my account the speed should be 14-22Mbps?  What is noticeable is that when our download speed dropped from 39-40Mbps the upload speed hasn't dropped and is still around 4-5Mbps.

Is there a possibility that due to covid our speed has been throttled back?

Highlighted
Philosopher

Despite the ongoing conspiracy theories, TT are NOT throttling speeds due to Covid.

Martin
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I just checked what speed Sky are quoting for my address and it is 32-37Mbps, so very close to BT.  So I went onto TT as if a new customer and for my address the speed was 31-48Mbs download and upload 6.2-10.7Mbps, both significantly in excess of what I am getting.  The minimum guaranteed speed for my address from TT was 25.2Mbps.  All of this is consistent with the 40Mbps that I was getting before the performance dropped off.  So something is definitely not right,

Highlighted

Hi cgclassics,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Chris - no not that I have noticed.

Highlighted

OK thanks, would you like us to arrange an engineer visit? If you would, we'll just need to confirm some details 

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Yes I think that sounds like the next step.

Highlighted

If you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also send you a PM to confirm some other details 

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I have replied to your PM.  Also to confirm I accept potential engineers charges if they are on my side of the equipment.  Visit anytime, any day please.

Also could you confirm why the TT speed on my account details is so very different to the guidance I get when going in as a new customer with BT, Plus-Net, Sky or even TT as a new customers. Those all show low to high 30s as the speed range, even TT as a new customer for my address, and I was getting high 30s.  but I can't understand why the service status page says I should be getting mid teens to mid twenties??  Grateful if you could clarify.

Highlighted

Hi cgclassics,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied

Chris

Highlighted

Sorry, I just wanted to check that you understood when you would be charged as you said you accept engineers charges if they are on my side of the equipment but there are other scenarios where you could be charged - if you could confirm that it's OK to go ahead I'll book the engineer

Chris