would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Re: Bringing you up to speed with full fibre

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Hi folks, I notice that Peteuk mentions experiencing Broadband "drop out's" with his FTTC (I think that's what he ment in his post).

I am on FTTC and have been for several years, I was extolling the virtues of this to my next door neighbour who was having grave trouble with her TT POTS connection dropping out with irritating regularity.

"Oh, get it changed to Fibre, I have not had a dropped connection for over a year" said I!

That was it seems tempting fate!

I was watching a "Box Set" on iPlayer on Saturday 12th Oct, which stretched into the early hours of Sunday 13th, and having finished, I then turned to my PC to finish some work only to find that there was no internet connection despite all the lights on my Router showing green!

I re booted the router to no avail but after about 10 minutes, the "Internet" light turned red!

...bit late to inform me!

I just couldn't understand how I managed to watch three hours plus of Catch up TV on iPlayer without any interruption, yet  immediately I try to use my PC, Phone and any other connected device, no connection despite the routers lights telling porkies!

Same thing happened again, in the wee small hours of Tuesday morning, .

This time I didn't touch the router and it eventually re-connected.

...Wednesday night, or maybe it was Tuesday night, whilst watching broadcast TV, a notification popped up on screen saying "Your Broadband connection has been re-established" ...or words to that effect.

I had no idea that it had been interrupted, since I was not using it directly at the time.

Since I cannot find out about historical faults/problems with the broadband connection to my home, I would appreciate some detail/explanation regarding these three outages in almost as many days.

Whilst I would imagine that any necessary maintenence work is likely to be carried out between 23:59 and 04:00, 

I would hate to think that I am responsible for this recent batch of outages just because I was extolling the virtues of the FTTC service to my neighbour!  😁  😁

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Steamywee

There is no indication of any line fault, What router are you using, as it sounds like it may be locking up, causing the problem. 

Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Hi OCE_Arne,

My router is a Huawei HG 635.

Never had any trouble with it ...as far as I know.🙂

Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Not sure really, 'cos I've been more than happy with this one.

I'm really surprised that these recent events were not "maintenance  related".

Would I be able to swap them back if I tried another one?

Aso not sure of the implications for my "smart plugs/bulbs", and wouldn't like to upset Alexa! 😊 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi,

Thanks for the update. You would need to re-connect all your devices to the new router. Would you like to try a different router to rule this out? Have you tried factory resetting the router? You would need to reset this up again following this.

Restore your router to factory settings

Thanks

Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Thanks OCE_Michelle, I think these options might invoke more problems than they cure at the moment!

If the drop outs become more frequent, or intrusive, I will certainly take up your offer.

For the moment though I'm happy to continue using the HG635.

Could the router also be responsible for another "oddity"?

...I occasionally watch ITV Catch-up on my PC  since ITV in their wisdom, strip out the subtitles from their broadcasts when viewed on the TV via the Youview box.

On these occasions I am surprised to find that the stream halts every now and again appearing to be buffering, though my download speed is a very respectable and consistent 36/7Mbps!

Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Seems I spoke too soon!

Just experienced a sudden slow down which is continuing. 🙁

Ookla test result at 21:00 :-

Speedtest.JPG

Maybe I do need that Router after all! 

Edit:

Just thinking about it, I notice that when accessing the router's home page and selecting "Check my network status", it takes 7-10 seconds to load the screen!

and that is just over my local network (My PC is wirelessly connected)

Also, I have noticed that the Power and Broadband lights are solid green whilst the other four, Internet, Wireless, TV, and Ethernet whilst green are rarely "still/solid" as they used to be if there was no "in or outbound traffic" in progress.

Flashing of these four lights in the past was a visual indication of downloads or uploads in progress.

Could "Alexa and friends" be responsible for creating this gluepot?

Highlighted
FritzCT
Problem Solver

Try dslreports for your tests as it gives a bit more info about what's going on.

The HG635 is an excellent bit of kit but now quite old. My HG635 had similar performance issues whilst in its death throes but your problem could easily be elsewhere. 

Fritz

Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Thanks for that FritzCT, I am not really capable of "reading the runes" cast by these speedtesters!

I have just re-tested with both Ookla and your suggested DSLReports site and fortunately I seem to have emerged from the gluepot as can be seen from the results:

Ookla test tenpasteleven.JPG

This one at approx 23:10

DSLReports testfivepasteleven.JPG

This one approx 23:05

Just signed up with DSL (Keep thinking of Damned Small Linux!) to be able to save my history, however I'm afraid the associated additional detail is beyond my comprehension! 😬

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Steamywee

The last results posted look absolutely fine,  Continue to monitor and let us know how it goes. 

Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Hi OCE_Arne, I agree it's back to its normal solid speeds both up and down.

What bothers me is why it has these catastrophic episodes, and the permanent "light show" from the router's display regardless of any up/download activity (to my knowledge).

The attached short video was taken today at a time when the following items were connected via WiFi, none of which were active at the time.

• Two PC's
  • Two Mobile phones
  • One iPad
  • One Amazon Fire Tablet
  • One Echo Dot
  • One pair of Home Plugs (connecting YouView Box)
  • One Television
  • Four Smart Plugs
  • One Smart Bulb

Any Ideas what might be happening? 🤔

Hmm! tried twice to attach the video using the paperclip since I don't have a YouTube account, it's only 20 seconds is there any way for you to see it?

Highlighted
Community Team

The activity of the lights sounds fairly normal.  Its nothing to be concerned about. 

Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Not convinced as they used to remain solid if there was no traffic! 😟

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

@Steamywee wrote:

...I occasionally watch ITV Catch-up on my PC  since ITV in their wisdom, strip out the subtitles from their broadcasts when viewed on the TV via the Youview box.

On these occasions I am surprised to find that the stream halts every now and again appearing to be buffering, though my download speed is a very respectable and consistent 36/7Mbps!

Just on this point, I have found this too. On ITV Player only and only on my MacBook. No issues whatsoever with any other player, nor on any other of the many devices in our home. So I just shrug my shoulders and blame ITV.  

Highlighted
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Wise decision!

I have sent several emails to ITV, and their various Subtitle providers also complained to Action on Hearing Loss in the hope that they might put some pressure on the broadcaster's  decision makers, ...response, total ignorance! 💩

Highlighted
FritzCT
Problem Solver

Just signed up with DSL (Keep thinking of Damned Small Linux!) to be able to save my history, however I'm afraid the associated additional detail is beyond my comprehension! 

Your line looks good. Buffer bloat is basically how long the queue is for your router to send  packets so its saying your queue is very small and quality is calculated from latency, jitter and packet loss all of which must be very low for your connection given the A+. You can get more info on line quality using the line quality test in the tools menu on DSLReports. For true down/ up speeds you should probably use the TT speed test results as I believe they are the speeds to the TT servers so it eliminates any issues beyond their servers.

Getting back on topic you could try disconnecting all devices and then reconnecting one by one to see if you can isolate the traffic to one device. If it does the light show with no devices attached then I guess it points to a router/ network thing.

Fritz