Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Real patchy wifi speeds on my HG635.

13 REPLIES 13
VirtuaMcPolygon
Team Player

I'm getting intermittent massive drops of speed over wifi. Both 2.4g and 5g bands. 

I can fix it of sorts by resetting the router or using eithernet. Hardly a great solution having stick a cable into my router when it happens. 

I'm on the 1.06 firmware. Does it have a firmware fix for this or is it possibly a hardware issue. I cannot imagine it's a distance issue. I've only a smallish flat and everything is on the same floor and my signal strength never drops at all. 

Been annoying people since 1976.
OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi VirtuaMcPolygon

I'm sorry to hear this.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

VirtuaMcPolygon
Team Player

I’ll try it if you think it will help?

OCE_Debbie

Hi VirtuaMcPolygon

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

VirtuaMcPolygon
Team Player

Thank you for the quick reply. Will do. It’s pretty obvious when it drops in speed. It’s pretty drastic. It drops to around 2-3 Mbps for WiFi speeds

OCE_Debbie
VirtuaMcPolygon
Team Player

Hi Debbie.

Thanks for the replacement router you sent me. It turned up today. I've plugged it in and then unplugged it and put the old one back in. You have supplied me a HG633 router where I had a HG635.

I didn't clock this until I started to do some work. My home setup is a MacPro and a speed high speed NAS plugged into the router and I use a MacBook pro and other things on WiFi. 

I cannot use this router as the eithernet ports are only 100mbps where my old HG635 had gigabit eithernet ports. I need that speed as I use After Effects and I'm constantly throwing large video files around and it's a massive speed drop from 1000mbps to a 100mbps. Even if the tempation of making extra cup's of coffee when dumping files across is appealing 🙂 

Can I return you the router and if possible could you supply me a new 635 or equivilant spec one if you don't supply them any more?

OCE_Karl

Hi

Unfortunately our team does not have an option to specify which router is dispatched, this is based on current stock levels at the warehouse. We only have the option of selecting the Huawei or Dlink model when placing an order for equipment.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

VirtuaMcPolygon
Team Player

Does the D Link have 1000mbps either ports?

If it does. Could you dispatch me that and I will return this one?

EDIT: I've just googled D Link and talk talk to see if it does. I'm guessing it's the DSL-3782 router? It's also got 100mpb ports.

You surely must supply a router with 1000mbps ports? My old 635 which is a couple of years old which was great until the wifi went squiffy on it has them?

OCE_Karl

Hi

The ethernet ports on the Dlink model are 10/100.

Karl,

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

VirtuaMcPolygon
Team Player

😞

You cannot supply the 

https://accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/39

It's basically the same spec as my current 635? 

OCE_Karl

Hi

Currently we have no option to order the WiFi hub for existing customers and can only replace current routers with like for like.

You can give our customer loyalty teams a call as they often have many offers that are not publicised, and ask them about the option of a WiFi Hub.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

VirtuaMcPolygon
Team Player

Thanks. They are going to supply me a Wifi Hub to test.

OCE_Karl

Excellent, glad our Loyalty colleagues have helped.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips