Did you mean: 
Need help?

Really low speeds on faster fibre with speed boost

14 REPLIES 14
Team Player

Hi problems today im getting 3.9mbs download and 18.7mbs upload

Community Star

Hi @johnnycass,

Is this a speedtest from a wired device, it is always best to do a speed test from a wired device to get accurate results.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line that might be affecting your speed. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

Have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session' in the street cabinet, this can sometimes help it reconnect at a better speed.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.

Team Player
Have`nt tried unpluging for 30 minutes just 20 seconds i`ll try that now. thanks for the quick reply.
Community Star
The equipment in the street cabinet will 'remember' your session information for up to 30 minutes, so if you switch your router off for a few minutes and then back on again you will end up getting reconnected to that same session. So if the issue was in any way related to that session you would still have the same problem.

By switching off for over 30 minutes you guarantee you will get a new session when you switch it back on. It might not help, but is a good thing to try just to eliminate that as a possible cause anyway.
Team Player

That seems to have sorted it. Thanks for the help. 

Team Player
No this isn't fixed yet. I see my connection drops to 6-10mbps download speeds and jumps up to 70mbps throughout the day. All tested via wired connection.
Chatterbox

Hello

I do have exactly the same problem. Despite being on the fibre with boost and a "guaranteed" speed of 40Mbits, all I am getting for three days in a row is 8mbit (as shown in the modem status, speedtest from my PC shows about 7.5). Best performance in the last week was 38Mbit 😞

Contacting TT Team via chat does not work "we are sorry, we cannot respond to your chat atm".

I have turned the modem off for one hour (just to be sure that it was off for longer than 30 mins) - no effect.

I am failing in finding a way to contact anyone at TT to check the connection and open a ticket - been trying the "chat to us" for three days without success.

talktalk2.png

Community Star

Chat is available every day, @maximus4, but often busy. Links from here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

You must start your own thread, even for a similar issue,  as forum staff will only reply to the original poster. 

Please return to the message board and click on start a topic. 

You'll also be required to complete your community forum profile details. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard; make sure you put in your landline phone number and a fallback mobile phone number; click finish to save. 

Staff reply during the day Monday to Friday. 

It may take a couple of days to get a response. 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi johnnycass

I'm sorry for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 76mb.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

back to a crawl this morning again. Suppose a new router wouldn't hurt to try. 

Hi johnnycass

Thanks for your reply.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Chatterbox

thank you for the answer - I didn't realise that I have to create a virtual persona of myself to contact a service company about their poor service -- I guess that is TT's way to keep customers away. 

Hi @maximus4

Please can you create your own topic on the Community, we can then look into this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

Chatterbox
let's try that

Hi @maximus4

If you click here and then click on start a topic button in blue.

Thanks

Debbie