Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Recent Fast Fibre upgrade - not getting the promised speed

17 REPLIES 17
Trekian
Team Player

We upgraded from ADSL+ to fast fibre about 6 weeks ago. Our upgrade email promised a minimum of 25Mbps with predicted 29-40. 

After the 10 day config period we were only getting a max speed of 13-15 Mbps. 

Rebooted the router in the test socket with a new filter and no phone. Waited for the line to settle, still not getting over 20Mbps. This was with no devices connected, wireless on the laptop turned off, and connected via ethernet, using My Account speed checker. 

Bought new face plate for the socket, Still no better. 

Called Cust services. Line check OK. Said that they would have to send an engineer to check router. I was a bit reticent as I do not want to pay for a visit. Argued with the rep that OCEs have sent out spare routers to other people on this forum to test. Have not heard from the engineer to book visit in any case. 

Also now a bit miffed as I was sent an email uping the price of my telephone boost that proudly promoted the new Wifi Hub. Email says it is a game changer. I won't begin to start about the Wifi issues that we have as I want to get the speed issue sorted first.

Funnily enough, soon after the call to customer services, the speed lifted to 28Mbps, This lasted for less than a few hours and currently this evening the speed has dropped to 9MBps. so much for a speed that "never drops, no matter the time of day" to quote the marketing email.

Please can an OCE help, just want what we were promised.

Regards

PS have word file with screenshots of the speed check results. 

Please can an OCE

Community Team

Hi Trekian

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 24.4mb.

There are re connections showing on the line which can affect the sync speed. Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs without rebooting so we can see if DLM changes the profile in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Trekian
Team Player

Thanks, Debbie for your prompt reply.

As requested I have plugged the router into the test socket via a microfilter with no telephone connected. Just done at 19:45 on Friday 8th

Looking forward to the result.

Kind regards

Ian

Community Team

Hi Ian,

Your router is in sync now at 29.4Mbps, have you noticed any improvement in throughput speeds?

Chris

Trekian
Team Player

Getting 28 at the moment but I want to leave it for 24 hours longer and then put the router back into the normal socket.

That is where we have been having the issues

Thanks

Ian

Community Team

Hi Ian,

No problem, take as long as you need to monitor.  If the speed remains consistent in the test socket and does drop in the faceplate then this could indicate a faulty faceplate.

Thanks

Karl. 

Trekian
Team Player

Thanks for the reply.

With the faceplate in,  the speed using a short ethernet cable is 28.3 with no devices connected, and the test laptop with wireless switched off.

Then tested wireless less than 1 metre from the router under the same conditions; got 28.3Mb!

However, within the next 10mins, with 2 laptops, 1 tablet and 2 mobiles connected wirelessly on 2.4GHz, the speed in our lounge downstairs from the router less than 20 feet from the router was down to 3MB then, 6, then 18 then back to 6MB. 

We have also suffered from regular wireless dropouts between 2-5 times per day at random times, on 2.4 GHz for some months. We have tried channels on Auto, 1,6 and 11, with varying degrees of success. That is also why the router is upstairs.

So it would seem that the speed has increased to 3MB above the promised minimum, but when on wireless it can be extremely variable. So, very pleased about the sync speed, but help on wireless disconnections would be appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Community Team

Hi Ian,

"However, within the next 10mins, with 2 laptops, 1 tablet and 2 mobiles connected wirelessly on 2.4GHz, the speed in our lounge downstairs from the router less than 20 feet from the router was down to 3MB then, 6, then 18 then back to 6MB. "

Having multiple devices connected shares the available bandwidth so a drop in speed on any one device is normal. The drop in speed on any one device will depend on how much bandwidth the other devices are using/what application are running

Chris

Trekian
Team Player

I understand that, but this happens regularly, and normally we are only browsing the internet, with perhaps 1 stream from youtube. It doesn't normally have any effect, but I thought the whole point of fibre was to allow multiple devices.

Anyway, you seem to have sorted out the sync speed for which I am greatly pleased.

Kind regards

Community Team

Hi Trekian

I can send a replacement router to see how the connection compares, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Trekian
Team Player

Yes Debbie,

I would appreciate that.

Kind regards

Ian

jojosjakey
First Timer

when i upgraded to fast fibre i did so with a guaranteed min speed of 38mbps (according to talktalk website) my download speed has never been higher than 31mbps (on maybe 3 occasions) and the average speed is approximately 17mbps....having researched other fibre providers they state that for my area i should be getting speeds of 66mbps plus. why am i not getting what i'm paying for

jm dear
Community Team

Hi Ian

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48 hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

jojosjakey
First Timer

I have requested a new router 6 times but refused. why?

jm dear
ferguson
Community Star

@jojosjakey If you are having issues with your broadband then you should start your own topic rather than post on someone else's to avoid confusion.

jojosjakey
First Timer

sorry my mistake...first time using community.oops

jm dear
Trekian
Team Player

Hello

In reply to OCE Debbie

Router received - thanks. 

Turns out to be the D link version.

Been up and running for 2 weeks with only 1 wifi drop out, Compared to our old Huawei this is a great result. Wifi speed currently 23.8Bps has been £28.

Therefore, I am currently happy with the new router and the old one will be in the post tomorrow. 

Thanks for all your help with this.

Kind regards

Ian

Community Team

Hi Ian

Thanks for keeping us updated, please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie