Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Recent government announcement - legal right to minimum speed of 10mb

20 REPLIES
Highlighted
marksc
Team Player

In light of the governments recent announcement that everyone in the uk has a legal right to have a minimum download speed  of 10mb ( by 2020 ) who would i need to contact about this?  At the moment my line (fibre enabled) is only capable of speeds between 5mb and 6mb max which is pretty poor.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Mark

The Government recently rejected BT's proposals because BT wanted this Universal Service Obligation to deliver at least 10Mbps as voluntary.  The UK Government have yet to put the legislation in place and then they expect Ofcom to take 2 years to put the regulatory details in place.  This is why the USO for 10Mbps broadband is not in place yet and will not be until 2020.

However, this topic is awaiting the attention of the TalkTalk support team to see if your speeds can be improved now.

There are a number of different factors that can affect your broadband speed, both inside and outside of your home. Click here for info.

There's a note on Service Status - Broadband (Click here) explaining that some locations are experiencing slowdowns at peak times because the Openreach trunk fibre has reached its maximum capability. Openreach are installing more capacity to meet peak demand. Have a look to see if you're in one of those locations.

Here's how to do a Broadband Speed Checkup (Click here).  Useful to do that check in the morning, afternoon and evening to see if there are peak-time slowdowns.

If you have a master socket that isn't pre-filtered to cope with interference picked up on home telephone extension wiring or don't have your router connected via a microfilter to the master socket then the speeds could be lower than expected simply because of that.  But the principal factor in speed is simply distance from the cabinet that your fibre to the cabinet service is connected to.  Here's a graph showing distance versus speed for an up to 80Mbps connection.

80Mbps FTTC Distance vs Speed.jpgDistance versus speed

What model router are you using?  HG633 or DSL-3782?  Both can provide you with an indication of the speed that your line is operating at.  Here's how to log-in to the router (to change the wireless password) and you can also see the line statistics and check the sync speed.

If you're mainly using the router's wi-fi then speeds could be lower than when using a wired Ethernet connection so you'll always be asked to check speeds, for example with a notebook connected to the router with the supplied Ethernet cable. 

The OCE's will offer more guidance once they've checked the line performance.

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer *
Community Team

Hi marksc

The speed range for your line is 9 - 18mb due to the distance from your local cabinet.

Your current sync rate is 6mb so below predicted.

Can you check the home phone and confirm you have a clear dial tone with no noise on your line.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

marksc
Team Player

Hi Karl,

I can confirm that there is no noise on my line and i have a clear dial tone. Just wondering where you are getting these stats of 9 -18mb? I'm assuming they come from openreach.  However i have been through this a couple of times over the past couple of years and i have been told by a openreach engineer that the sync speed i'm currently getting is not far off what my line is capable of.  Hence my original question about the governments recent announcement.  I have noticed recently that  my existing router (HG635) appears to be not allowing a connection to the internet every now and again. This can only be resolved by switching the router off and on again.  

Community Team

Hi

The proposed government announcements do not come into play for  couple of years.

The current figures are given by openreach at the time of install.

If you think the current router may be at fault, we can try another before looking at an engineer.  Would you like to try this ?

Thanks

Karl.  

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

marksc
Team Player

Hi Karl

I don't believe the router is responsible for my sync speed. Having said that, i would like to try a newer router as my current router appears to drop my internet conenction sporadically requiring the router to be switched off and on again.

Community Team

Hi

I've a different model router on the way to you for testing.

Thanks

Karl. 

marksc
Team Player

Hi Karl,

The new router arrived today (DSL 3782).  However i believe it is incompatible with my setup as i do not have a seperate openreach modem.  My existing router ( Talktalk HG635 super router) has in inbuilt modem.  Please advise.

marksc
Team Player

Hi karl,  Just to add to my lat message i can't get the internet light on the dsl 3782 router to go green i.e. connect.  Have tried resetting the router several times.  Can get a connection on old router.

Community Team

Hi marksc

You don't need a BT modem for the DSL3782.

Please can you connect the router directly at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

marksc
Team Player

Hi Debbie

There is no test socket on my master socket. I unscrewed the facia plate but i can't see any test socket to connect the router to.  My master socket has in built filters so doesn't require any additional micro filters.  I always keep my router connected to the master socket. Internet light is green for HG635 but red for DSL3782. No idea why.  Is there a config setting on DSL3782 that needs changed?

Community Team

Hi marksc

Thanks for your reply.

This router should work as soon as you connect it up.

Would you be able to post a photo of your master socket?

Thanks

Debbie

marksc
Team Player

Debbie,

Its a BT OpenReach MK3 socket. My question is how is the HG635 router able to connect to the internet and yet the DSL3782 can't?

Community Team

Hi marksc

This socket should have a test socket underneath the face plate, are there 2 clips either side of the socket?

If you are still experiencing this fault at the test socket then I can send a HG633 router for testing.

Thanks

Debbie

marksc
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

I managed to get the d link router that was sent to work.  I was about to send it back but attempted one last connection and for some reason it connected normally i.e. the internet light when green.  However i have noticed since i got in touch back on the 13th February about issues i was having my top internet speed has levelled out at approx 4.5mb.  This is with either my old or the new router connected and it makes no difference if i have a wired connection to the router. Before the 13th Feb 2018 i was getting average speeds of 6.5mb.  From your end i'm wondering if anything was done on my line that may have reduced my speed further? I work from home regularly and need my broadband speed to be better than this.  Not sure what is going on. Please advise.

Community Team

Hi marksc

Thanks for your reply.

Did you also test with the router directly at the test socket? (DLM may increase the sync speed in this set up)

Thanks

Debbie

marksc
Team Player

Hi Debbie

I couldn't get either router to successfully connect to the test socket - the only way i could connect to the test socket via the router was to use the microfilter connection.  Before the 13th Feb 2018 i have been geetting speeds of approx 6.5mb so not sure why this has now deteriorated to 4.5mb or less. If my average speed gets any less my fibre broadband will not be fit for purpose. Please advise.

Community Team

Hi marksc

Just to confirm, you connected the router directly at the test socket using a micro filter? (apologies for the confusion)

Would you still like me to send the HG633 for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

marksc
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I connected the router at the test socket using a microfilter.  I could not get an internet connection when i did this for both the old and newer router.  I don't think sending the HG633 router would make any difference.  Can someone run some tests on my line to see why my sync speed has dropped to between 4.3 and 4.5mb? It wasn't great when i was getting 6.5mb but 4.5mb or lower is pretty poor!!!

marksc
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Can i request that this issue gets escalated. There has to be something wrong with my line to be getting fibre speeds of just over 4mb when i was consistenly getting speeds of over 6mb for the past year.  I get a monthly SamKnows email that details my average internet speed over the previous month and it has never been this low until a couple of weeks ago.