cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Red internet light - new customer

ANSWERED
22 REPLIES
Highlighted
Ollychoo87
Popular Poster

So my live date was yesterday and I've not been able to connect to the Internet at all - it's got a red light on the Internet but everything else is green- I have spoken with talktalk and I have been passed over to the technical team, I was then told it would take 48 hours for a response but then told 72 hours by the complaints department, which I find ridiculous that I'm a new customer and it looks like I'm not going to get anywhere for the first week as I know they will end up saying that I will have to have an engineer out...I don't see how this is far, I've looked through allot of things to see whether I can do anything myself but nothing seems to work. Is there anything I can try to get this sorted myself? (I've tried to log into the router but I don't want to do something that would make things worse ..it seems like it's quite a regular problem - really wish I'd done my research before signing up :/ 

KeithFrench
Community Star

When this fail condition is encountered, the connection to the exchange equipment (or fibre cabinet if fibre) is normally OK, but there is a virtual path that needs to exist from this equipment to the internet. It is this virtual path that is down. This can be caused generally by:-

1. Authentication issues
  2. Network issues
  3. IP filter issues
  4. An unusual line fault that does not affect basic connection.
  5. Router configuration issue or faulty router

The best way to resolve this is for me to pass this to one of TalkTalk's OCEs to investigate the condition for you now.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Ollychoo87
Popular Poster

thank you Keith, that would be amazing if you could! from what i've seen from previous forum posts you've always been very helpful! much appreciated :) 

KeithFrench
Community Star

No problem, I already have passed it to the OCEs yesterday when I promised to do so. Hopefully, you might get a response today from them.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Ollychoo87

The issue has been passed to our network team to resolve, It looks like you are failing to authenticate on the network,there isn't anything that you can do at your side,  they will work on this and hopefully fix this soon.

Apologies again for any inconvenience this may cause. 

Ollychoo87
Popular Poster

So we've just had an engineer out and shock horror, there was nothing that he could do! He said it's a problem with the router (which is brand new!) or something that you haven't done your end! Waste of time! Someone needs to sort this out ASAP!!!!!! 

Community Team

Hi

A new router is on the way to verify this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Ollychoo87
Popular Poster

So how long is that going to take? 

Community Team

Hi

The router usually arrives within 24 - 48hrs, so could be with you tomorrow.

Thanks

Karl. 

Ollychoo87
Popular Poster

new router has been delivered - completely different router & OH shock, it's not working either.

my house mate is calling today to make an official complaint because this is an absolute joke!

Ollychoo87
Popular Poster

now waiting for a supervisor to call me back, apparently wanting to send another engineer out - who will then say there is a problem with the router! what a joke!

Community Team

Hi

I'm really sorry to hear this, as a new router has been tested it is unlikely to be the cause of the problem.

Out teams can arrange a follow up engineer when they call.

Thanks

Karl. 

Ollychoo87
Popular Poster

We had an engineer come out on friday, who said the line was fine - so i don't see how there can now be a problem with the line in the space of three days....

Community Team

Hi

Sometimes engineers can miss something, there could be an issue with the link at the exchange etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

Ollychoo87
Popular Poster

Two engineers, Two routers and still no internet. 

Community Team

Hi Ollychoo87,

I'm sorry this is taking so long to resolve, this has been escalated within our network team and is currently under investigation. If you don't hear anything before can you bump the thread in 48 hours and we'll check for further updates 

Thanks

Chris

Ollychoo87
Popular Poster

Still heard nothing, I was promised that if this wasn't sorted by the Saturday just gone that I could cancel free of charge - I then spoke to someone on Sunday and they pretty much backed me into a corner and told me to wait till wednesday and if nothing I could cancel STILL NOTHING. I have been nice & I have been patient but this is disgraceful! I want this to be finished so I can go find a reliable provider! 

Ollychoo87
Popular Poster
Solution

after another phone call to say an engineer needs to come out - i have finally been allowed to leave - so GOODBYE!

Community Team
Bora-pat
First Timer

My 1st day active after moving to new home, Red Internet light kept showing on Router, after a while, it turned green & flashes but couldn't connect to Internet at all. Called Support for help, they said just adjusting the speed & intermittent problem for next 10 days ? I didn't have this trouble before I moved home. Since other users are facing similar problem, it must be a hardware or software problem on the router. Can Talktalk look closer into fixing this asap? After all, it's useless to say go LIVE but one can't connect to Internet at all !! While reporting this using mobile network, my router had been showing Red Internet light all the time!