Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Reduced broadband speed on FTTC with faster fibre package

18 REPLIES 18
sweettalker
Team Player

Hi  we have been connected using TalkTalk fibre to the cabinet for several years. The connection was stable and consistent at almost 40Mb upload, almost 9Mb download.  Being out of contract gradually became more expensive so we signed up for an 18 month Faster Fibre package and also bought the latest router.  All was OK for a while but recently the line has started dropping and then the speeds fell.  Line tests via the website show no problem and I have done all the usual troubleshooting stuff advocated by the webchat assistant (including leaving the router off for 30 mins). Currently we have the front of the master socket completely removed and only the router plugged into the test socket via a brand new cable and new microfilter.  The router is showing max download connection speed of 49kB but only 15kB actual despite more than 20dB noise margin.  Strangely the upload is now showing 2.9kB max and 2.9kB actual which suggests the line is being throttled in some way - Before we encountered problems we always used to get a real world (i.e measured by speedtest) 38Mb download and 8.6Mb upload.   Is there a way to get the line checked for crosstalk at the cabinet and then initiate DLM to restore our speed ?

hopeful
sweettalker
Team Player
VDSLTo clarify the exact numbers - the router is showing VDSL downstream max 49278Kbps actual 14999Kbps with 20.3dB noise margin. Upstream only 2296 Kbps max and 2296Kbp actual with 17.6dB noise margin. Downstream attenuation is 18.5dB which seems about right so I suspect a crosstalk problem, maybe due to new connections made in the cabinet ?
hopeful
OCE_Karl
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

The sync speed is lower than it should be.  All tests are passing so nothing obvious stands out. 

We always recommend you connect the router direct to the test socket for a time to see if there is improvement, and also advise testing with another router if possible to rule out a hardware issue before we progress to an engineer.

Do you have access to another router or would you like us to provide one.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

sweettalker
Team Player

Thanks for checking.  Router has been connected via the test socket for 3 days now with no change in the line speed.  Since the noise margin is so high, the downstream limitation could be an intermittent cable fault requiring an engineer to fix but the upload speed made me think there was an incorrect setting - if was consistently 9Mb for years before why would it suddenly become limited to only 2.3Mb now ?  

Yes I still have the original HG365.  I will swap them over right now

hopeful
sweettalker
Team Player

spoke too soon - wife is on line until 18:30 so I will swap the routers over then !

hopeful
sweettalker
Team Player

OK I have replaced the router.  It is now connected directly to the test socket via a microfilter

hopeful
OCE_Chris

Hi sweettalker,

Could you leave the router connected to the test socket for 48 hours to allow DLM time to respond to any improvements by moving you to a faster line profile

Chris

sweettalker
Team Player
OK - should I reboot the router partway through or just leave it alone ?
hopeful
OCE_Chris

There no need to reboot it, you can just leave it alone

Thanks
Chris

sweettalker
Team Player
Immediately after replacing the FAST TalkTalk wifi-hub (bought in March 2020) with our alternate router (the older HG635 TalkTalk superouter bought Oct 2014) the upload speed went back to normal (speedtest measured over wifi at 10 Mb/s) and the router maintenance screen is showing max upstream rate as 14634 k bits/s and upstream line rate as a constant 9998 k bits/s with 9.5dB noise margin. However despite leaving the HG635 connected directly to the test socket via a microfilter for 2 days 7 hours now there has been no change to the downstream rate which seems to be capped at Router is still showing downstream noise margin of 20.3dB max downstream rate 44673 k bits/s but the downstream line rate remains a constant 14999 k bit/s Speedtest (over wifi) download speed is 12Mb/s. Since this always used to be at least 38Mb/s something is clearly wrong with the line driver or line driver settings. Can you please ask openreach to investigate. Also is there a warranty on the six month old FAST router which now delivers very low upload speeds ? If so how do I go about claiming a FOC replacement ?
hopeful
OCE_Chris

Hi sweettalker,

Thanks for testing at the test socket. Just before we arrange the engineer visit can you just confirm that telephone calls are clear with no noise. (we can send a replacement router if required)

Chris

sweettalker
Team Player
Hi Chris
Telephone calls seem fine to me. And yes please I would like a FOC replacement for the faulty TTSCOMFAST5364
hopeful
OCE_Chris

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days, please let us know how you get on

Chris

sweettalker
Team Player
Thanks Chris What about the engineer to fix the line speed problem ?
hopeful
OCE_Chris

Hi sweettalker,

If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

sweettalker
Team Player
Hi Chris
New WifiHub black has been connected directly via test socket since mid-day Saturday. No change - apart from a slight reduction in noise margin the download speed remains capped at 14.3Mb/s whilst the upload speed is OK so I still think the problem must be a network or line driver setting. Engineers charges seem a bit harsh but OK - I want this fixed but please remember that I have been paying over the odds for faster fibre out of contract since 2016 but seem to have little more than ADSL download speed after signing up for a new contract in March 2020 - maybe a setting was changed at that time ? Available anytime this week am or pm.
hopeful
OCE_Chris

Hi sweettalker,

Thanks for the information 

I've booked the engineer for tomorrow AM (October 06 2020, 8am-1pm) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

sweettalker
Team Player

Hi Chris

Poor upload speed was due to defective router but poor download speed and drop-outs turned out to be due to wiring at one of the boxes in the street next to ours -  The Openreach engineer you booked for us arrived on time and quickly diagnosed a problem with a poor connection in one of the boxes out on the street (not the one nearest to our house).  He swapped the wiring at the box to use another pair and then came back to the house and changed the connection at our end.  All has been well since. 

Many thanks for your help.      

hopeful
OCE_Michelle

Hi sweettalker,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks