Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Reduced download speed

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Chatterbox

I am on 75 Mbps download speed usually and today it has been reduced to 22 Mbps. If I am being throttled I want to be notified about it. This download speed should not be so slow at 8 in the morning. 

Highlighted
Philosopher

What is your downstream line rate as reported by the router ?

Speed test results are not reliable, servers can have issues and WiFi can have interference.

Martin
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @patricklyons95 are you connecting wired or WiFi when you run your tests?

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Chatterbox

I always have a wired connection. 

According to my package my downstream is 78 Mbps. 

Highlighted
Philosopher

Is that speed from the router admin page at 192.168.1.1  ?

Martin
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Yes.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi patricklyons95,

Line test is picking up a potential issue. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

My question isn't related to telephone lines whatsoever, especially since I don't have a telephone, please reread my first post.

When I signed up to talk talk I was promised 78 Mbps and this is what I have been getting. I know this through wired connection results. Recently it has been reduced to 22 Mbps and I want to know why. Don't ask stupid questions. 

Highlighted
Philosopher

@patricklyons95 

The TELEPHONE LINE is how your broadband is delivered to your home.

@OCE_Chris is asking a completely valid question, as issues on the voice side of that line can and often do affect broadband.

If you need an engineer visit, there are two types, line and broadband, so to determine which one you need the voice side of the service really does need to be checked.

Do you get it now ?

Martin
Highlighted
Chatterbox

And how exactly do I determine if there is noise on the line when I don't have a landline? Makes no flippin sense. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Borrow a handset, or buy one? 

Highlighted
Chatterbox

I'm not paying extra for an issue I didn't cause. This is crap service as usual.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@patricklyons95  as the esteemed Community Star @ferguson says, beg, steal, borrow or buy a handset.

Martin
Highlighted
Community Star

Could always phone a friend?

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Chatterbox

So you don't want to be helpful, instead being useless *@#][!![]'#[@#]!*. Bye. 

Highlighted
Community Star

As long as broadband is delivered down phonelines there is always the chance that the voice side can cause issues. If you are unwilling to test with a phone then do be aware that this makes diagnostics more difficult and could end up with a charge for an engineer visit, which will be far more than a cheap handset.  

Highlighted
Community Manager - TT Staff
@patricklyons95, the guys are just trying to offer some support and customers just like you, please respect others in the community and keep your language family friendly please.

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @patricklyons95

The fibre service you are on is FTTC or Fibre To The Cabinet.  From the local cabinet to the home, is copper wire.  This section of line is shared between the internet and voice (phone) services.  Line noise is one of the most common causes of speed degradation, so checking if you can hear any noise or crackles on a phone line is a standard diagnostic question and something that can be checked quickly.

Line tests are detecting a high resistance at a copper joint, so something that is affecting the copper section of the line, and this can often present as noise or interference on a phone also, so my colleagues are trying to be thorough with their checks so they can deal with the issue for you.

If you do not have access to a phone handset, then that's ok, and I know the issue is frustrating, but please don't berate our community members for trying to assist.

The next step is to arrange an engineer for you.  I'll drop you a PM with the info required.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE