cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Renewal Slowdown Woes

13 REPLIES 13

I signed up for 'superfast' broadband 18 months ago, and for the first 12 months had a lot of trouble getting a decent speed. After several engineer visits one BT engineer managed to get me a good signal by rerouting a connection between poles so that I was getting a downline speed in the 60s (effectively giving me about 55mbps) and this has been pretty consistent for the last few months.

So when the time came to sign up for another 18 months to lock-in the price, I was happy to do so. Three or four days later my actual speed over ethernet has dropped back to the mid-30s - and wi-fi in the low 20s.

Is this just coincidence?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Just renewing your contract cannot cause a speed reduction. You have a fault, I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi lifeonanotherplanet 

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault. Is your landline service working ok when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, landline seems OK.

Community Team

Hi lifeonanotherplanet 

Thanks for your reply.

Have you also tested with an alternative router at the test socket? I can then pass this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

I have tried that (though that router was itself replaced with this one) - have rebooted and switched on and off, but downstream line rate stuck at 41 (giving me 38Mbps on ethernet, and between 8 and 26 wi-fi).

Community Team

Hi lifeonanotherplanet 

Thanks for your reply.

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi lifeonanotherplanet 

The next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi lifeonanotherplanet 

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have passed your availability for an engineer visit over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi lifeonanotherplanet 

The engineer visit has been arranged for 26/07 PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Thank you

Community Team

Hi lifeonanotherplanet 

No problem 🙂

Debbie

The engineer couldn't find any faults in the house or on his readings. He reset the speed in the cabinet giving me a downstream rate of 64Mbps (upstream 17) so just hoping that holds.🤞

Community Team

Hi lifeonanotherplanet 

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie