cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Renewed Contract, Ungraded to Faster Boost Fibre but not getting anywhere near 66.8 Guaranteed Speed

71 REPLIES 71
RazzOne
Wizz Kid

Hi OCE's

Can you look into my Fibre Speed please as I am not getting the Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 66.8Mbs.

I renewed my contract yesterday and got the Fibre Speed boost as a deal but speed tests reveal around 40Mbs Download and just under 9Mbs upload. I have switched my router off several times but still no difference. I have also checked the connection speed in the router admin but this is showing as: Upstream as 19239 (kbit/s) and Downstream as 61077 (kbit/s) but I certainly am not getting that internally.

I am performing the test on a Hard Wired PC with Ethernet Cable and just so you know I literally live across the street from the fibre cabinet and copper cabinet!

Hope to hear from you soon

Ry 🙂

RazzOne
Wizz Kid
Just to add my router is an old HG633 with: Hardware version: H.1.01 and Software version: v1.21t
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quite common with a fibre regrade.

Just switch your router off for a minimum of 30 minutes to ensure you start a new session.

p.s. Repeated reboots can effect your speed as BTOR's DLM system can't tell the difference between a fast power cycle and a fault, so try to avoid

p.p.s You firmware is also down level which an OCE can sort out for you, but that doesn't significantly effect your line speed.

RazzOne
Wizz Kid

Thanks umanu2 but you are trying to teach Grandma to Suck eggs.

I know repeated reboots/re-connections will cause issues with the profile/speed. I merely was letting the OCE's know I have performed the suggested measures. Which was one reboot yesterday and one today.

Believe me, I know, I have been with TalkTalk for over 12 years and I used to be on Copper which was 3 miles away from the exchange so they had to Up the Voltage to dangerous levels so I could subscribe to the TV package and or get the guaranteed minimum speed.

Cheers

Ry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies. Your level of expertise wasn't immediattly evident from your initial post. Apologies again.

Your last email didn't say how long your power cycle had taken but 30 minutes is the minimum to clear any regrade issues with fibre - but again apolgies if you are already aware of this.

Good luck.

RazzOne
Wizz Kid

No Need to Apologise Dude.

You were only trying to help...... thank You 😁

Community Team

Hi Ry

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 61.1mb.

Did you power down your router for a full 30 minutes?

Thanks

Debbie

RazzOne
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

Just lost connection for about 10 minutes, that must of been you performing the line test.

No, i have not powered it down for 30 minutes but I have just performed another speed test and Downstream was 57.18 and up 8.52.

The connection speed at the router is: 

Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 19198

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 61387

Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 19194

Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 88448

Should I disconnect for 30 minutes and see what that gives me??

Minimum guaranteed should be 66.8. If I get this or above at router I will be happy. The router suggests I can get 88448!

Cheers

Ry

Community Team

Hi Ry

Thanks for your reply.

The throughput speed (speed test) looks good based upon the sync speed of 61mb.

Please can you leave the router connected at the test socket over the weekend without rebooting, we can then check the connection stats on Monday to see if DLM increases the sync speed any further.

Thanks

Debbie

RazzOne
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

Just come back online after leaving router off for 30 minutes. Performed a speed test and it looks like Download Speed (62.49Mbps) is improving but upload is still struggling to reach 10Mbps should be minimum of 17.9.

The Downstream link speed at the router is only at 60915, again this should be 66800 minimum.

I will do as you say leave it connected to see if the DLM improves and then get back to you.

Thanks for your time, Have a GR8 Weekend 🤓

Ry

ferguson
Community Star

I strongly suggest you resist the urge to reboot your router any further, it is likely that this has interrupted the DLM process and it may take some days to reset at a better level. Try to be patient, your broadband is more than serviceable even as it is.

Community Team

Hi Ry

The sync speed has dropped slightly to 60.9mb.

Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

RazzOne
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

Yes currently connected at the test socket?

Nipping out for an hour though

Cheers

Ry

Community Team

Hi Ry

I can raise this over to our Network Team for investigation or would you prefer to monitor the connection for a while longer to see if DLM increases the sync speed any further?

Thanks

Debbie

RazzOne
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

I'll leave it a few days to see how it pans out then I'll get back in touch probably Wednesday

😊

Community Team

Hi Ry

Ok no problem, we can check the connection stats again on Wednesday.

Thanks

Debbie

RazzOne
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

The download sync speed is still low at 60.6mb and also when I run a speed test I only get around 10mb at best upload even though its synced at 19.3mb so that also needs looking at.

Thanks Again

Ry 🙂

Community Team

Hi Ry,

Just to confirm, do you have a different router that you could test with?

Thanks

RazzOne
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle

Sorry no I don't.

Ry

Community Team

Hi Ry

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie