Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Request a DLM reset please

45 REPLIES
Highlighted
laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

Hello. I was wondering if any of the TalkTalk staff could help me or at least point me in the right direction, I am looking to get a TalkTalk staff member to request a DLM reset for my line. When I first went with TalkTalk I had great speeds and really low ping in games. Since then I have reset the router a few times in the first few days of the contract which caused DLM to kick in and put my connection to interleaved which creates higher pings in video games as well as my connection speed dropping from 76 to 63mb. After reading about the waiting process for it to manually readjust I waited for 17 days and interleaving was still present with no errors on the line at all. My ping was still higher than it should be in games and my download remains at 63. I have since reset the router today and left it off for 30 minutes in an attempt to trick the DLM to reset after reading but that did not do anything and I am still in interleaved with no errors. Please could  you request a DLM reset so I can get the low ping back once again like I said there are no errors on the line and I have already tried waiting 17 days prior to switching it off today. Thanks. Sorry for the long message.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @laz123jordan

I can if you wish escalate this to the TalkTalk support team for a check of your line to see if there are any faults.

However, if the line is intrinsically faultless, i.e. you're getting speeds above the minimum guaranteed, then Openreach will not accept the line back for fault resolution nor will they accept a request to send an engineer to reset the DSLAM (and hence DLM) in the green cabinet.

Openreach are, however, instructed to reset the DSLAM after any fault resolution.

So, is 63Mbps (assuming that's the sync speed or access line speed) below the minimum guaranteed for the line? If it is I'll escalate to the OCE's straight away and they'll pick it up on Monday.

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

Hey thanks for the reply. The minimum speed guarenteed to us was 66.

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

Also I would be greatful if you could escalate this thanks.

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

Here is a screenshot of the guaranteed speed as well as a few weeks worth of speed tests. As you can see it never goes above 63 and the ping is higher than it used to be.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @laz123jordan

Escalated into the OCE Workflow.  Hopefully they'll pick up on Monday.

Leave your router powered and connected to the line until you get a message from the OCE's.  They'll check the line performance and the router and will have options to discuss with you including escalation to Openreach if a fault is present.

Is your router and microfilter currently connected to your Test Socket (if you have one) where speeds will be highest?  When you do a Broadband Speed Checkup (Click here) do check on a device connected by Ethernet cable to the router rather than on wireless as the wireless speed can be lowered significantly by interference.

Your router will show you the access line speed or 'sync speed' that relates to the minimum guaranteed speed. 

Log in to your router, by opening a web browser like Firefox or Chrome etc and then enter in the address bar: http://192.168.1.1

Username: admin
Password: (your own password) or the HG633 & DSL-3782 have unique router passwords top of the rear label on the router.

Then go to the DSL / Broadband Information and copy and paste those Line Statistics here.

• DSL-3782 router - Home page and click on DSL / IPV4
  • HG633 router - Maintain > System Information and click on Broadband Information

In the absence of a fault, the OCE's can offer more targeted advice on how to get your speeds above the minimum guaranteed speed.

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

I have just performed a speedtest over ethernet using the talktalk speedtest checker and the speed i got was  46.8 down and 14.9 up. We only have one socket but it's a master socket which is new its the one that has the micro filter already inside of it but that's all i know it has two connections phone on the bottom and broadband above it. 

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
0 days 10 hours 19 minutes 12 seconds

Restart DSL

It shows 67 sync but I have not had higher than 63 since interleaving became enabled. The reason it is only 10 hours up time is because after waiting 17 days to see if the DLM automatically went back to fast I turned off the router for 30 minutes today after reading it could trick the DLM into going back to fast so I had lower ping. All i care about is the lower ping really I just hope something shows so TalkTalk can ask for a DLM reset because like I said it is my fault the line went into interleaving in the first place by switching it off a few times in the first week. Once again thanks for your replies.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @laz123jordan

A filtered Master Socket is good. The best in my opinion for fibre is the NTE5c with VDSL service specific faceplate.

Sync speed is, as you say, 67.4Mbps so only just above minimum guaranteed speed.

The signal to noise is a touch more than normal and coupled with the level of interleaving indicates the line is quite way off being the perfect line you'd hope to see for a low latency connection.

Let's hope that there's a deterioration in the metallic line that can be assigned to a fault.

When you connect a phone to the line is the background crystal clear or are there any crackling noises?

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

When using the house phone sometimes you are able to hear crackling. This also has occured while just checking the line without being in an actual call so I know it's not the handsets fault. Plus the handsets we have are new and it was also there with the previous ones. I've had TalkTalk fibre since February 2014 and left 1 and a half years ago to join virgin. We joined TalkTalk again just before christmas. Prior to leaving I had 76 download on the dot sometimes more and 19 upload easily. The ping on speedtest connecting to the same server was around 9 as well as my video game pings being extremely lower. For example I used to have 9 ping on speedtest where as now I have 20-30 connecting to the same server. It's the same case for League of Legends. Before I had 17-19ms and now I have a constant 34MS where as my sister is also with TalkTalk and she lives down the road and she is seeing the low 17-19 ping with a speedtest ping of 9-10. I have no idea what could be causing the the higher noise as you said. I really don't know much about that other than higher noise is bad. 

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @laz123jordan

The audible crackling on the line's voice service would lead to a diagnosis of a poor connection. A corroded joint or an imperfectly made joint anywhere on the metallic line from green street cabinet to your router.

The newer Master Sockets with Test Sockets behind the customer removable lower faceplate enable the customer to test direct to the incoming line without home extension wiring in place. If the 'connection' fault is still present at the Test Socket then it's definitely an issue on the Openreach network.

Voice service has noise impairment - the broadband service will also be impaired. The DLM will try to compensate. The Signal to noise ratio ends up being set higher than normal and speeds drop. The interleaving of data is to try and avoid too many unrecoverable packets which just have to be retransmitted and hence also slow everything. The interleaving increases latency.

So, in summary, fix the metallic line joints or other related physical impairments, get a crystal clear line for voice and the broadband will come good.

• Line Test - let's hope the impairments show up on testing
    be prepared - sometimes they do not.
  • Openreach Engineers - the ones with the skills to track down these difficult to find faults are SFI - special faults investigation - but you might just get a lines engineer - some are good at their job.

It now just rests on TalkTalk being able to fault the line and handback to Openreach for repair.

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

Alright thank you for explaining everything. Hopefully on Monday I will receive a reply from TalkTalk with the results of the tests as well as what is going to be done. I will definitely attempt to test the line via the test inside of the socket.

Community Team

Hi laz123jordan

Apologies for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. Your line is in sync at 67mb.

Is the noise on the line present at the moment? Could you test with just the phone connected at the test socket, with the router removed and let us know if the noise is still present in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

Hello Debbie.

I'm not really worried about the download it's just more the ping. I require lower latency as I am a gamer so it makes a lot of difference to me. Regarding the noise it is random so i'm not sure how using the test socket will help. The noise on the line comes at random times it's never in a pattern. This makes it difficult to test if its there or not. I just need to be able to get rid of interleaving mode really. However as previously said when I first switched the router on i was in fast mode until i manually turned off the router once and ever since I have been on interleaving. Is it possible to get an engineer to reset the DLM at all without the fault actually appearing on your line test? It means a great deal as I know there is nothing wrong except the noise level sometimes as well as the noise.

ferguson
Community Star

Using the test socket will eliminate all internal equipment, which includes the faceplate.

In all honesty though I can't see any way in which Openreach would accept this as a fault. Their fibre DLM system is quick to intervene downwards, but less so to improve. Your best bet is to sit it out, resist rebooting your router, 21 days or more can be the cycle for improvement.

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

Hmm. I first tested the phone line in the test socket and it worked fine with no noise on the line. After this I plugged the filter that came with the router into the test socket, (the one with the broadband and phone line). The noise level on the line still didn't appear but the high noise on the downstream/up remains. I will leave it in the test socket over night and tomorrow put the face plate back on the socket. I just doubt waiting will do anything because I waited 17 days previously with no success haha.

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

Okay so I did notice when I was using the test socket my sync speed was 69mb but now that I have gone back to the normal socket entrance it has  gone down to 67 again also the noise got slightly higher again. Could this be an issue with the actual socket? It was fitted around 6 years ago it just says BT MK2 on it.

Community Team

Hi laz123jordan

Would it be possible to leave the router at the test socket for 48hrs whilst BT's DLM is monitoring the connection?

If the connection improves whilst connected at the test socket then this would indicate a possible fault with the face plate or internal wiring.

Thanks

Debbie

laz123jordan
Conversation Starter

Sure no worries

Community Team

Hi laz123jordan,

Thanks for this, sync speed is 67.7Mbps and interleaving is low, can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll take another look

Thanks
Chris