cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Request of HG633 Firmware Update

ANSWERED
32 REPLIES
Highlighted
Allison40
Team Player

I am also having a lot of trouble with my wifi and my firmware version is  v1.21t.

Please could I request an update if its available for my HG633 router

many thanks

Allison

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Allison40

This new topic has been created for you so you can receive individual help.

An OCE has been asked to push the firmware / software version update to your HG633 router currently on 1.21t software version.  The update is 1.21t demo.  It is a pre-release version of a forthcoming router update and is helpful in preventing router rebooting caused by compatibility issues with some device apps particularly streaming / video apps.

The OCE will deliver that firmware update to your router by remote management.  So if you've switched off remote management in the router then re-enable.  Otherwise, just leave the router connected and powered and it'll be updated.

The OCE will liaise with you right here to make sure its working ok.

Gondola - I'm a customer with PlusTV +
Community Team
Solution

Hi Allison

I've updated the router firmware for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Allison40
Team Player
Thank you so much for getting that sorted so quickly. Its very much appreciated
Stoic Warrior
First Timer

Firmware Upgrade request for me, too ... I am a new TalkTalk customer and this is my first post on the forum (hope this gets posted correctly) ... I had to get a telecom guy in last week to sort out my in-house wiring and as an adjunct of that he recommended I either buy a different moden than the HG633, or request a firmare upgrade ... my device's firmware reads Hardware H.1.01 and software v1.15t ...

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Stoic Warrior

To post correctly and create your own topic (Click here). And add your landline number to your Community Profile (Click here). Save changes.

Community Team

Hi Allison40

Thanks for keeping us updated :-)

@Stoic Warrior  - Please can you create a new thread, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Allison40
Team Player

OCE_Karl wrote:

Hi Allison

I've updated the router firmware for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Hi Karl,

Ive restarted router to make sure its updated but im still getting terrible wifi with our 2 laptops (used in the same room as router). Before I go out and buy 5Ghz adapters etc is it possible this router has a fault on its wifi signal? If you could check it out for me I would be grateful

thanks

Allison

Community Team

Hi Allison40,

Thanks for the update. I've completed a line test which hasn't detected a fault. I can see quite a few re-connections on the line, however the connection looks stable for the last 24hrs.

Just to confirm, are you experiencing this issue in both a wired and wireless state?

Thanks

Allison40
Team Player

OCE_Michelle wrote:

Hi Allison40,

Thanks for the update. I've completed a line test which hasn't detected a fault. I can see quite a few re-connections on the line, however the connection looks stable for the last 24hrs.

Just to confirm, are you experiencing this issue in both a wired and wireless state?

Thanks

its pretty stable using a wired connection (but very inconvenient due to router location). It was jamming up a bit between 9 and 10 last night using ethernet cable. The wireless connection is mostly unusable with both laptops on the 2.5Ghz band. I have run various tests to make sure there are no viruses or updates that are outstanding etc. My neighbour has moved his router as far away as he can and has also moved his connection to channel 1 while I was on channel 11. I have been making a lot of enquires locally to find out which companies wireless wifi is working. It appears so far that a lot of people locally are having talk talk wireless problems and other companies routers are working without issues. I dont have the talktalk TV stuff so thats not clogging my signal and we also live in a normal 1940's solid brick built 2 bed house. I am currently regretting the contract I just renewed and would appreciate any more help you can give

Community Team

Hi Allison40,

Thanks for confirming this. @KeithFrench - Can you offer any additional advice in regards to the wireless connection?

Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

... and just to provide a full picture, here's Allison's other topic where the wi-fi issues were first discussed:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/HG633-router-keep-loosing-wifi-connection-with-all-dev...

KeithFrench
Community Star

Intermittent drop outs or breaks in signal might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. However, other factors should be investigated first.

When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

If you have the HG633, HG635, or DSL-3782 they are dual band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" if the HG635, or if the HG633 or the DSL-3782, use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

HG633/635 go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

DSL-3782 go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not improve your speeds, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Allison40
Team Player

Gondola wrote:

... and just to provide a full picture, here's Allison's other topic where the wi-fi issues were first discussed:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/HG633-router-keep-loosing-wifi-connection-with-all-dev...

Cheers Gondola

Allison40
Team Player

KeithFrench wrote:

Intermittent drop outs or breaks in signal might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. However, other factors should be investigated first.

When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

If you have the HG633, HG635, or DSL-3782 they are dual band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" if the HG635, or if the HG633 or the DSL-3782, use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not improve your speeds, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request

18 th may18 th may

18th may18th may

31st may31st may

31st may31st may

Sorry pics are upside down my iPhone is doing something weird when I upload to talk talk. I downloaded wifi Analyzer and scanner and 18th May are the first tests. Since then my immediate neighbour on 1 side (freak like me ) moved his router onto channel 1 and I moved mine onto channel 11. I've not seen the other immediate neighbor yet to ask what her network is called. The photos from 31st May are taken just now. There is only a laptop and my mobile currently on at my house.

If there is a better type of analyzer to use I'm happy to download. The lights on my router are green. The internet, wireless and Ethernet lights all flashing (various lengths of time). I have had to move the router to front windowsill so I can plug in Ethernet cable and use broadband.

thanks

Allison

Allison40
Team Player

KeithFrench wrote:

I only send this out to people who request it.

just to confirm I did rename my signals when Gondola reccomended I do so.

When signal drops off the lights stay green with intermitent flashing (in green). Im connected to 2.4Ghz with the laptops (they dont have 5GHZ adapters). the mobiles are connected to 2.4 as they dont pick up the 5 Ghz signal upstairs (even though they are really close to router) 5Ghz only worked in the small living room with router.

Allison40
Team Player
mine is the aktalk730
I just noticed when the signal to lap top doesn't work the internet, wireless, and Ethernet lights flash simultaneously!
thanks
Allison
KeithFrench
Community Star

I’ll send you some more info, but it won't be until this evening.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Allison40

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone & Android operating systems. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Allison40
Team Player
No problem and thank you for taking the time to reply. My laptops don't have a 5Ghz adapters.