cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Resolving Slow Fibre Broadband Speeds

14 REPLIES 14
Repeat Guest

I have the fibre 35 package with broadband, phone and TV. I've carried our several speedtests during various times of the day and my downlaod speeds vary between 19.32 and 21.75 mbps and my upload speeds between 1.77 and 9.29 mbps. I have tried wi-fi and ethernet connections but the speeds remain much the same. I also have microfilters.

However my router is connected to the main phone socket via an extension cable which I believe is a standard telephone cable. The distance between the main phone socket and the router is about 7 to 8 metres. It's difficult for me to locate the router close to the phone socket. Could this be a contributing factor explaining the slow broadband speeds and if so, is there anything I could do other than relocate the router to improve speeds? Thankyou and my apologies if I've overlooked something obvious!

Community Star

Hi @jellybeanjones,

Do you know what speeds your line is meant to be able to achieve, when you signed up for your contract TalkTalk would have specified an expected speed range and a guaranteed minimum speed.

You may be able to go to the Service Centre to see the estimated speeds for your line and the actual speed you are getting.

The speed you can achieve is totally dependent on the length and quality of your phone line, so for some customers the speeds you are getting would be completely normal. So it is important to understand if the speeds you are getting are actually normal for your line, or if they are well below what is expected for your line.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.

Repeat Guest
Thanks for your response. I've updated my community profile as you suggested and I've also checked the Talk Talk Service Centre which records my service status as being a healthy broadband connection with an estimated speed of 35 to 40 mpbs and a measured speed of 40 mbps.
I hope this helps
Community Star

Ok, if the service centre is indicating a measured speed of 40mbps, but your actual speed test speeds are considerably slower, then have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session' in the street cabinet, this can sometimes help in situations like this.

If it doesn't help then staff here should be able to respond within a day or two to assist.

Repeat Guest
Thanks for the advice, I switched my router off for 40 minutes and then after switching it back on did a series of speed tests which showed the upload speed as constant around 9.30mbps but the download speed varied between 19.14 and 32.32mbps, so I would appreciate it if the Talk Talk staff could take a look into this
Repeat Guest
I've also now tried connecting my router directly to the main phone socket, so that I'm not using the extension cable, and download speeds vary on average between 17 and 21mbps, still below the measured speed of 40 mbps, so I'd appreciate a response from the Talk Talk service centre to my enquiry
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jellybeanjones,

Line test is clear and current sync speed is 40.0Mbps, are you running the speed test on devices connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

Repeat Guest

Hi Chris

I've tried speed tests with my laptop connected to my router by ethernet cable and by wifi and there isn't much difference. For example I've just run a speed test with an ethernet cable connection and it's giving a download speed of 21.55mbps and with wifi it's 20.44mbps.

Thanks

jellybeanjones

Hi jellybean,

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry to hear that there hasn't been an improvement in speed. I've re-run the line test now which is still clear and the sync speed and profile both look ok. Do you have a different router that you can test with? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

Repeat Guest

It's all very well being upgraded from visitor to sightseer to repeat guest but I'd be happier if I could get some idea as to why from a technical point of view I have a download speed that on average is 50% slower than the Talk Talk measured download speed. I first posted 9 days ago and received some helpful feedback from the Talk Talk community but which unfortunately  didn't solve the problem and I've received one post from a Talk Talk staff representative asking me for information that I had in fact already provided in one of my previous posts.

That was 5 days ago and although I responded there's been nothing since. Not very impressive Talk Talk, considering all the years I've been a customer. My contract ends soon and I would like to take advantage of one of your competitive broadband packages but I think I may be better paying more and going elsewhere........................

Community Star

Hi @jellybeanjones,

You did get a further response from @OCE_Michelle this morning, offering to send you a replacement router to test with. Not sure if you may have missed seeing that post.

Repeat Guest

Hi Michelle

Thankyou for your response. I only have the one router, which is a Huawei HG633. If you could provide me with a replacement router, particularly if you have a later model, then yes I will try testing that.

Thankyou

Hi jellybeanjones

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Repeat Guest
Hi Debbie

Thanks and I'll let you know once the router arrives

Regards

jellybeanjones