Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router DSL-3680 security issues

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Sightseer

Good evening,

I've joined this community as recently I found concerning info regarding my router DSL-3680, that these routers are vulnerable to hacker attacks and are not safe to use. My question is, how can I be sure that my data is safe and protected when my internet door is open via that router.

Regards,

Highlighted
Wise Owl
Over the years there have been many reports relating to many routers being open to attack by hackers, including routers from the likes of Cisco who pride themselves on the security of their products. So for any system connecting to the outside world, with whatever router, it is sensible to take precautions to protect the system and its data. Things to do include:

1. Change all the default passwords, making sure you use a strong password. Ie one that uses a mixture of upper/lower case characters, digits, and special characters. It should be longer than 10 characters.

2. Ensure the router firewall is enabled.

3. Ensure that all devices attached to the router have up to date anti-virus software.

4. Enable the devices security features, eg the firewall on windows.

5. If you are particularly worried about particular data/files consider encrypting it, and possibly even storing it on removable media which you only attach when you need to access it, depending on how concerned you are.

6. Ensure you enable the security features on your browser, and avoid visiting unknown sites or clicking on suspicious links, as this is probably a more used form of attack than exploiting router weaknesses.

Finally remember no system is 100% secure, and that most attacks on home systems are down to phishing attacks and the downloading of software when clicking on compromised websites or links. Attacks via router weakness is much more rare, but if you are really concerned about you could always buy a 3rd party router with advanced security capabilities.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi miku,

This is quite an old router. Would you like us to send a replacement router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm looking forward receiving my new router, also knowing that my data is going to be safer in future.
Much appreciated,

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

Router on the way.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES