cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router Problems and False advertising.

Community Team

Hi John

The engineer visit has been arranged for 06/03/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Johnross000
Team Player

Ok, so engineer has just left after doing line tests and checking the connections using his equipment in the master socket.

He says that the speeds i was capable of getting on a 80/20 line was not going to be higher than 55 as this is what the line test showed. He then went to the outside of the house up the ladder to check the cable coming into the house at the other side of the wall. He said i was approx 500m from cabinet but i dont know exactly how far away i am, and wether it made any difference.

The wierd thing is that my upload speeds are perfectly fine according to what i can achieve, so why is the download speeds so much lower, could this be problems with the downrate speed on the router? I have had the D-Link and HG633 since joining but still had the intermittent issue of connection loss and having a red light constant on Internet on a few occasions.

I am now wondering why i was told my guaranteed speed of at least (65.4Mbps) cant ever be achieved and surely there is no point in paying extra to achieve this, even though i was supposed to expect well over 75Mbps on signing up.

I hope that you will agree that i should not be charged for this callout as it seems that there isnt anything wrong with my end, but rather being told that the speeds i was recieving are the maximum that the line was recieving, and that i should be recieving some compensation for not reaching the minimum i was supposed to and also wish to remove the speed boost as it isnt worth paying extra for for a few Mbps.

I would like to confirm that i should not be recieving any surprise engineer charges for a speed which albeit the line rate maybe 80/20, that the speed that was guaranteed cannot be achieved, am not able to increase any more than 55Mbps even when connected directly to the router with Ethernet cable and using the MasterSocket in the house, in my mind i cant see how else i can obtain any higher speeds from the router than this.

I would also like to request that new customers in my area should be made aware of this fact too.2019-03-06.png

UPDATE - I recieved a call from the Tech team and confirmed that the speeds were as much as i was going to get, so have agreed that downgraded the package to the 40Mbps as there isnt point in paying for a boost that isnt working properly and ironically i realistically didnt tell the difference in speed anyway from the 40Mbps, which i nearly enough anyways...

Community Team

Hi Johnross000,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding and thanks for the update. How is the speed at the moment? If you do receive any charges related to this visit then please let us know and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Johnross000
Team Player

Hi, thanks for advice, the speed has now been downgraded to a 40/10 conection and so far this is what i am getting, i also recieved the new Sage Wifi Hub (makes a big dfference too) to ehich i am impressed with so far compared to the user interface with the old one.

My new package has been reduced however i am not sure about getting the refund in the speed boost i had paid and i understand the new package price has been reduced when this will start.

FYI the software i have on the new router, is this the latest? it is showing as

SG4K10001400t

PS i recieved a call from Tech Services about the engineer visit and was confirmed i wouldnt recieve any charges for this call out due to the problem being unobtainable speeds, not as a fault with my setup.

Community Team

Hi Johnross000,

Thanks for the update. This is not currently the latest version of firmware, however this is usually updated once the router has been connected. If the firmware hasn't been updated since your last post (overnight) then please let us know and we can update this for you.

Thanks

Johnross000
Team Player

Hi,

Yes it was updated overnight to version SG4K10001E00t

Is there a web page or link showing the detail of what the upgrade has improved?

John

Community Team

Hi John,

Unfortunately not and I don't currently know the exact improvements that this firmware delivers. How is the connection at the moment?

Thanks