Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router Query

13 REPLIES 13
Team Player

Good afternoon all!

Just a quick question about 2 of the TalkTalk routers. I have both the HG635 and the new Sagemcom FAST 5364-3.T8 router. The issue I have is I don't know which one to use. The HG635 seems to sync at a higher speed on my line but the Wifi isn't as great compared to the new Super Wi-Fi router.

The new Sagemcom FAST 5364-3.T8 router has great Wi-Fi signal strength but syncs at a lower speed, the download sync speed in particular there can be as much as a 2mbps difference. Also the firmware on the new router is a lot more sluggish in comparison to the HG635's and I have no idea what the System Log is doing but it keeps racking up random entries and accumulated more than 1200 entries on the first day of it being turned on with something that seems unnecessary (same thing repeated over and over).

What routers do you guys use and generally what sync speeds do you get? I'm on a 40/10 profile as my line doesn't support higher speeds (aluminium damnit!).

Anyone use third party routers, are they much better firmware/sync speed wise?

Thanks!

**EDITED to correct router name**

Community Star

Please can you specify the make/model of the other TalkTalk router, for some time know numerous models have been labelled the super router?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Team Player

Apologies, I have the Sagemcom FAST 5364-3.T8 and a HG635

Community Star

The 5364 (or TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub) has a far higher Wi-Fi specification than the HG635. Personally, I would use this for that reason, but investigate the speed difference. Is this just based on a wireless speedtest, or the router's downstream line rate? This is the first place to look and can be found by logging on to the hub & going to:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub > xDSL

Feel free to include it in here if you want advice on this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Team Player

Hi Keith,

The speed stats are based on the sync speed information on the routers admin page. The HG635 pretty much maxes out the downstream sync speed at 39.9mbps (39998 kbps) and isn't far off with the upstream at 8.9 mbps (8905 kbps).

The FAST 5364 syncs at a downstream speed of 37.3mbps (37382 kbps) and upstream of 9.7mbps (9764 kbps) which is unusual seeing as I'm using the same master socket (with built in filter) and even the same DSL cable.

Unfortunately neither router gives detailed stats on noise margin, attenuation etc as this information is either a "0" or not displaying info.

I find the firmware on the FAST 5364 is sluggish in comparison to the HG635 too and is prone to forgetting all the friendly names I set for devices too (although I understand this is being looked at).

Strangely too my HG635 reports my maximum downstream sync rate being a possible 47.9mbps although the Openreach engineer who conducted a line test last week said my line was only capable of 43mbps. The FAST 5364 stated my maximum speed was this 43mbs that coincided with what the Openreach engineer said. Is it possible the HG635 is showing an incorrect current and maximum sync speed?

Thanks,

Vysey

Community Star

Forgetting the friendly names is a firmware bug I reported some time ago now and I am awaiting a fix on this along with other things. The noise margin was a bug as well, but is fixed in later versions. What version of firmware is your router running? As to the speed issues, what is your minimum guaranteed download speed?

Keith

Team Player

My HG635 is currently running firmware version v1.14t.

The FAST 5364 is using firmware SG4K10001E00t

I am reaching my guaranteed minimum speed which is 36mbps so that's not the issue, just curious as to why/how the 2 routers seem to sync at different speeds and report a completely different line maximum sync rate

Community Star

As you are getting your guaranteed minimum, then I doubt if TT will deal. As a customer myself I cannot comment on why they are slightly different.

Keith

Team Player

Yeah I understand that, I don't expect TalkTalk to do anything about it. Was just curious if anyone was using a third party router and any suggestions on what ones. I game and stream a lot so a router with good QoS features would have been good.

I understand that neither the HG635 or FAST 5364 can be put in a "modem only mode" so was looking for a router with a built in VDSL modem too.

Thanks!

Insightful One

There are plenty of people with 3rd party routers of varying types and probably as many reasons for choosing them, but usually because they offer capabilities beyond those provided by routers supplied by TalkTalk.  I personally use a Draytek Vigor 2762 because it has the capabilities I require. It is targeted at business users rather than your typical home user so provides excellent facilities and flexibility with regard to user management and security, this includes comprehensive QoS facilities.  There are also routers from companies such as ASUS which are specifically targeted at gamers. These routers will help reduce contention problems within your own network but ultimately your gaming performance will be dependent on the quality of the link with the gaming servers and their performance.

Team Player

Thanks for your replies all!

I've opted to try my FAST 5364 again and strangely enough it's now connecting at the same speed as my other router. So will see how things pan out and may keep using the FAST 5364 for now.

In the future I am still looking to change for maybe an Asus gaming router, one that has a built in VDSL modem but for now I'm happy with the current sync speed on the 5364. Time will tell if it stays at this speed however, we shall see!

Also is there somewhere that I can see a Change log for the firmware updates on the FAST 5364 so I can see what they do?

Whizz Kid

Hi Birchcroft, I have a Draytek Vigor 2830n that I would like to use. My line was with TT business fibre at 70Mb, it is now with TT residential fibre at 35Mb. My problem is the DrayTek router worked fine with TT business but doesn't work with TT residential. Could I trouble you for your settings?

Insightful One

@jaspertatI've just PM'd you screen shots of my router settings.  Hope they help

Whizz Kid

Thanks, I'll give them a try.