cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router connection keeps dropping out (not just WiFi)

17 REPLIES 17
jibbitt
Popular Poster

Hi there,

I have the Fibre large service and have been using the HG633 router for a number of years. Several times a day, both the wireless and wired connections drop out for all devices.

Previously I was using another brand's router and had no issues, but I switched to the Talktalk one as I purchased a device whose performance depended on 5GHz WiFi, and my other router was not dual band.

I have a laptop / VOIP phone / TV / android box connected over ethernet, and multiple phones / a games console and a couple of Chromecasts connected over WiFi.

I have a background in IT & infrastructure support, so have checked a lot of factors. Of course, I have restarted the router when this problem has occured.

When it happens, BOTH WiFi and Ethernet drop out (across all devices, regardless of connection type). This is not just the fibre connection failing, as the actual devices disconnect from the router and cannot see the network or ethernet connection, respectively, when it happens. A minute or so later, it will come back online.

My laptop is configured for both WiFi and ethernet, but prefers ethernet (so if it loses wired connection, it immediately attempts to connect to the WiFi). When it drops out, it loses ethernet connection, then tries to connect to Wifi, which it does after a short while, before the ethernet comes back.

It is NOT the router restarting itself, however, as when I connect to it over HTTP, it often shows an uptime of several days (even immediately after a drop-out).

The router also appears to be on the most recent firmware.

It has begun to happen more frequently, and I would say it's now around one or more times per hour. This can be quite frustrating when watching streaming content, online gaming or, most importantly, talking to a client on my VOIP phone when working from home. This currently doesn't feel like it's a £60 per month service.

ferguson
Community Star

What are the Broadband and Internet lights on the router doing when these drop outs occur? Subject to that I have flagged this up to the support team for you, give them the usual day or so to respond.

Community Team

Hi

All tests are clear, no issues showing this side. 

Would you like to try a replacement router to rule out a hardware issue ?

Thanks

Karl. 

jibbitt
Popular Poster

Thanks for getting back to me OCE_Karl. Sure, that sounds like a reasonable idea.

Presumably it would be at no cost to me. Would it be the same router (HG633)? If not, would it also be dual band (I assume so, but worth checking)?

Many thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team
jibbitt
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the new router. It was set up, and seemed to be slightly better (though I was still getting the occasional dropout). I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but since I renewed my contract (from legacy package 'Fibre Large', to 'Faster Fibre' with a speed boost) a few days ago, it's been much worse.

The line entirely drops out during online gaming and Skype for Business meetings. It does, now, appear to be the actual fibre line itself dropping out (the local network appears to stay connected). Any more suggestions? It's strange that this is not detectable at your end. It's extremely frustrating at the moment.

Many thanks.

Community Team

Hi jibbitt 

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and the connection appears to be stable.

Does the connection drop if you connect wired?

Thanks

Debbie

jibbitt
Popular Poster

Yes, as I said in my previous post, the local network connection remains, but the incoming connection appears to drop out. On my laptop, it manifests itself as the LAN icon (image of ethernet cable and monitor) having a warning triangle appear, and a mouseover tooltip reveals that the *internet* is not accessible to the machine (I forget the exact wording). When I am sitting at my desk, my always-wired VOIP phone also loses its connection at the same time.

Community Team

Hi jibbitt, when you changed the router, did you also swap the filters and the ADSL cable? Is the router connected to a multigang adaptor with other devices and if it is can you connect it to a solo power socket for testing please? 

jibbitt
Popular Poster

I didn't. I have done so now (with the identical ones supplied), and will report back in a day or two.

It is connected to a multigag surge protector, but I am confident the router is not losing power intermittently. The uptime on the HTTP config panel will show as days and weeks, while having 'dropped out' tens of times during that period. I can plug it directly into the wall socket for your process of elimination, but feel that the uptime counter already eliminates this.

Community Team

Hi jibbitt,

Ok, let us know how the stability compares.

Thanks

jibbitt
Popular Poster

Hi there. I'm afraid I've also had dropouts this afternoon.

Additionally (and this may be considered a separate issue), I've just moved from Fibre Large (out-of-contract, rolling) to Faster Fibre with a speed boost and my download speed is comparatively awful. I was told before committing that it would remain the same, and I would not detect any differences, but I have gone from consistent, regular speedtest.net results of 70+mbps to around 35mbps. The highest I've got is around 50, in non-peak times. Before, I wouldn't get less than 65. This is very disappointing (and unexplained).

Community Team

Hi jibbitt, the router is showing that there's wifi congestion on all local channels. I've checked the line synch speed and that's showing as 79.6mbps.  If you test with a wired device does the test still reflect the low speeds?

jibbitt
Popular Poster

It is also the case with wired connections. Checking WiFi channels with an app is generally the first thing I do when I'm getting a poor signal on a wireless device.

Interestingly, the *wired* connection that was only giving me ~30mbps consistently, went back up to 60+ when I replaced the new router (see the replacement I was sent earlier in this thread) with the old (identical) one again. So it's not a problem with the line by the look of it, but I'm not sure what's going on with the new router. The only things changed on either when they were each set up were SSIDs, passkeys and disabling SIP_ALG for VOIP.

So to clarify:

- I do not appear to have a current issue with speed (outside normal fluctuations).

- The new router did not stop the dropouts (but killed connection speed).

- I replaced the cable/filter as advised earlier in the thread. I still had dropouts on the new router.

- I tried the old router again, which resolved the speed issues.

- I will again monitor the connection with the new cable/filter on the old router (as too many variables had changed before to make any reliable conclusions regarding the cable/filter).

- I will report back again if I have continued dropouts in the next day or so.

Community Team

Hi jibbitt,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the stability compares over the next 24hrs.

Thanks

Tomwebb64
Popular Poster
Hi Jibbitt, I am having the exact same issue. I too have experience with computers and networks and cannot seem to find a solution anywhere online, did you manage to fix your issue? If so I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
T. Webb
djnutz
First Timer

i get drop outs every few minutes its a pain in the ass really not happy with talktalk and the phone convo`s are just a waste of time i know how to reset router etc. i feel like wringing the so called tecs necks , think i will go back to virgin soon atleast ant problems they got sorted within a week this as been the same since we changed to talktalk

Community Team

Hi djnutz,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks