Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router for "Faster Fibre"

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Chatterbox

I couldn't find any related topic, so starting a new one. Has anyone already used any alternative router with the "Faster Fibre"? (which comes with the aggressively advertised (a bit too much) new TalkTalk's Wi-Fi HUB)

I used to use broandband access from TalkTalk (VDSL2+, I guess) which was advertised as Fibre. I lived happily with my TPLink Archer VR400.

However, after upgrading to "Faster Fibre", it stopped connecting (DSL signal is showing, but internet connection is gone).

The Wi-Fi HUB connects to the Internet, but I cannot use it because it lacks many important features (including NAT loopback), so basically it's useless.

Does anyone know what is the technical difference between "Fibre" and the "Faster Fibre"? Any chance to re-configure and re-use the previous router? If not, how can one choose a new router, cause TPLink's box was stating that it's compatible with TalkTalk, but apparently not with all broadband options.

The web-site is pretty useless for the technical info - they don't want you to think, just look at happy people on the photos, photo of nice new Wi-Fi HUB and simply buy, don't ask questions.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Darkmind,

Faster fibre is just fibre without the 40Mbps limit, there's no technical difference from the upto 40Mbps fibre product.

If the TP Link router works with FTTC then it should work with your TalkTalk fibre service. Can you explain exactly what problem you experience with the router, any error messages etc

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Hi Chris,

That's the thing - I looked into the default settings of Superrouter and WiFi HUB and I see that indeed technically it's the same. Even more Superrouter work sustainably. It's only TalkTalk's WiFi Hub and TPLink routers which experience problems and only with new tariff (seriously, they stopped working on go live date, then started again because it was shifted by one week, and then stopped from the second go live date onwards).

The call center indicates that the line is fine and the router cannot get allocated an IP address, so they keep sending me new WiFi HUBs (4th in a row already).

I cannot convince them that there must be a problem on TalkTalk's server side with authentication on the new tariff, not with the router itself.

So, yeah, in summary:
- only when Faster Fibre is enabled:
- TalkTalk Superrouter always works
- TalkTalk Wifi HUB and TPLink establish DSL connection, but not Internet
Highlighted

Hi,

Can you please add your home phone number to your Community Profile so I can locate your details.

If unsure of your number, simply dial 17070 from your land line phone and this will confirm the number for you.

Please reply when this has been updated.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Hi Karl,

I tried plugging in my TPLink router again yesterday just to see what happens and it just started working. I still don't know what was happening before - probably some regular bouncing of TalkTalk's servers took place, but as I said I hopelessly tried to use many WiFi HUBs and my TPLink and none of them worked, and now it just magically started working without any additional settings done on my side.

Thanks,
Maxim
Highlighted

Hi

Glad its working now.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES