Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router issues (again)

ANSWERED
11 REPLIES 11
foxglove28
Visitor

The router in question is a HG633. To save other conversations, i have turned off for 30 mins and turned on again and reset to factory default.I have no issues with the speed to my router, i am sure that is fine. I have fibre 65 

It about what happens after and it is baffling me. I run speed tests on my mobile over wifi and see 50Mbps routinely.

My home PC which connects by ethernet over mains, has dropped to between 5 and 10 Mbps. My work PC which connects over wifi, was also just doing 10Mpps until i connected to it with an ethernet cable to the router and it tested at 50. Unplugged the cable and it is now happily doing 40 over wifi. I cannot do the same for home PC as it is a desktop.

Before anyone says that there is clearly something wrong with the ethernet over mains, the problem is with download only, the upload speed is 20Mpbs in all cases so the line must be ok so why the restricted download speed?

has anyone any ideas?

Thank you

KeithFrench
Community Star

The two different speeds over WiFi could be that they are each connecting to different WiFi bands on the router. There is every chance that the slower one could be connecting to an oversubscribed 2.4GHz channel. Alternatively, it could be connecting to the 5GHz band & be at the limit of its range.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

foxglove28
Visitor

thank you keith

I will see if i can check that out.

Does not of course expalin the same issue over ethernet

KeithFrench
Community Star

For that I would need more details, like:-

1. What make/model of PLAs are you using?
  2. What is the connection on both Ethernet ports of the adapters, is it 100M full-duplex for example? I don't just mean does it support 100Mfull-duplex, but is it actually running at this speed/duplex combination?
  3. If both the PC and the powerline it connects to supports 1Gbps (1000M), is the Ethernet cable a Cat 6 as a minimum? If you look down the edge of the cable somewhere, its Cat rating should be marked.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

KeithFrench
Community Star

One other thing, if you temporarily move the PC to be near to the router & connect it to the same LAN port that the powerline adapter was connected to, what speed test figures do you get there?

Keith

foxglove28
Visitor

Keith

The PLAs are devolo 500Mbps and the cable i can see is cat 5. i can not confirm that the PLA network on it own is  passing data at speeds it should. Other than it uploads at 20Mbps

i need to say here that i have had this network in place for some time. it has only been since i upgraded to fast fibre that these issues have seem to manifest themselves.

For me it point to the router as behaving in a way I cannot understand. Especially  when taking the behavior of  the laptop when swapping from wifi to direct cable.

foxglove28
Visitor

unfortunatley, i cannot move the desktop PC.

i have also tried turning the QoS of and on and that made no difference.

As i said in the first post. When  plugged my laptop direct into the router. i saw 50Mbps, were on wifi it only got 5. When i unplugged the cable, it now does 30 - 40 routinley on wif

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

I don't like to make guesses, I am trying to prove what the problem is. I am still waiting for you to reply to my 2nd question in post #4.

OK, another way around this, connect the work PC via Ethernet in place of your desktop PC to the PLA, what speed to you get over the powerlines then? Now move the work PC to the router & connect it to the same LAN port on the router in place of the powerlines. What speeds do you get there?

This will prove if the powerlines are at fault or if the router is at fault.

Keith

foxglove28
Visitor

Keith - i am grateful for your patience. (as well as your wisdom)

i cannot answer your question in post #4

As said in a previous post - i cannot move the desktop pc. it is part of a music production suite and is too 'embedded' to move out

What i can do is move the laptop as you have suggested:

Laptop on wifi in far end of the building away from router  35 - 40 (not the 50 coming in but fine)

laptop plugged into router direct  - 1metre cable 45mbps

Laptop into end of ethernet over mains  - 6 Mbps

So that points towards the power line. 

but the upload speed in 20 in all cases. So what can be wrong if it is only the download speed that is affected?

KeithFrench
Community Star

The question I wanted answered was number 2 as I said & you can find this out from within Windows:-

"What is the connection on both Ethernet ports of the adapters, is it 100M full-duplex for example? I don't just mean does it support 100Mfull-duplex, but is it actually running at this speed/duplex combination?"

However, that is now irrelevant as the problem is your powerlines. I would try turning them off for a while & then back on again. Then you will have to take this up with Develo's support teams.

Keith

foxglove28
Visitor

An update:

having identified the ethernet over mains issue, i replaced the old pLA units for nice new devolo ones,

Now i get 20Mbps down and 20 Mbps up

An improvement for sure. I will be speaking to devolo in the morning but i wober if my mains in the house is causing some issue

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

@foxglove28, could you possibly complete your community forum profile details for yourself with your own Talktalk landline number in Personal Information?

Please see your other thread for information that needs to be added in Private Notes. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.