Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router issues and low speed after Fibre 65 upgrade

12 REPLIES 12
cfrazher
First Timer

I have recently extended my contract and upgraded to the fibre 65 but did not receive the free wifi hub that is meant to be on offer with this package.

I am still only receiving download speeds of around 35mbps which was the same on the previous fibre 35 package, despite our upgrade and price increase.

Our old router (HG633) fails to establish a connection in several rooms in the house including the entire upstairs and the speeds have not improved post upgrade even when stood right next to the router.

Could we please be sent a replacement black WiFi hub as is supposed to be standard with the Fibre 65 package? 

Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @cfrazher,

When you upgrade you will not normally be sent a new router unless your existing router does not support the package you are upgrading to.

Have you checked the sync speed that you are getting on your router. If this has increased to speeds of over 40mbps then have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session' in the street cabinet, this can sometimes help get your speed test results up to something closer to the sync speed.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within two or three working days. You may get faster support from the live chat or by phoning up during opening hours.

If the staff did think there was a problem with your current router they would be able to arrange a replacement for you.

cfrazher
First Timer

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked the sync speed and even that is only reaching around 42mbps each time I look.

I have now reset the router and left it off for over half an hour as advised, but the speed has not been affected.

The main issue is still that there is no connection possible in some parts of the house, which is probably the range of the router, and I would like to test it with a WiFi Hub, as is supposed to be standard with the fibre 65 deal that I'm on.

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi cfrazher

Apologies for the delay.

I have ordered you a replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

cfrazher
First Timer

Thanks Debbie,

We have received the Wi-Fi hub but the problems with range in parts of the house have continued.

This week we had a Talk Talk engineer come in (report number SA2475153) who agreed that whilst the speed coming into the house was 42mbps, which is okay but below expectation for the fibre 65 plan, there was still a problem with the WIFI's range getting around the house. With myself and my daughter working at home this is proving to be a real issue, as she is even having to tether her phone and use 4G data rather than connect to the Wi-Fi, as there are so many outages and drops in speed.

The engineer said that we need a TalkTalk Wi-Fi Extender Kit in order to get the speed coming into the house upstairs and in all of the rooms where it is required. Can we please be sent one of these to test if this will get rid of the problem?

I have been a customer with TalkTalk for many years now, but this situation is rapidly becoming unworkable and I may have to look into a service with another ISP that can guarantee me coverage in every room of the house.

OCE_Debbie

Hi cfrazher

Thanks for your reply.

In regards to the WIFI extender, have you had a look at our accessories store

cfrazher
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

Yes we have seen the WiFi extender kits available, could we please be sent one so we can test if this will be solution to our problem and enable us to get the coverage across our house that we are already paying for. The engineer did not have one with him so he could not check and could only speculate that this would be the solution.

OCE_Debbie

Hi cfrazher

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I've ordered the WIFI extenders for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

cfrazher
First Timer

Hello,

We received the extender following your post however unfortunately it has had minimal effect on both the range and speed of our connection.

Regularly we are seeing results like below - which was taken in the same room as the router.

I am also annoyed that TalkTalk charged us for an engineer call out when the individual (number cited in previous post on this thread) found that there was a problem with the range and speed within the house. Could you please direct me to how I can get this charge refunded? As it was made clear to me that engineer call out fees are only paid if they cannot find any fault when they visit.

Unfortunately it seems that we are running out of options to improve this service and I'm going to have to look at other providers who can guarantee at least a workable speed in the house.

cfrazher_0-1618251596441.png

cfrazher_0-1618252215188.png

cfrazher_1-1618252288750.png

Thanks,

Clifford

OCE_Michelle

Hi cfrazher,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like me to raise this as a complaint and request for our Tech Complaints Team to contact you directly to discuss this further?

Thanks

cfrazher
First Timer

Yes please, my details are on my profile

OCE_Michelle

Hello,

I've raised a complaint over to our Tech Team now and requested that you are contacted as soon as possible.

Thanks

Gav 31
Sightseer

The router won't help. I'm experiencing the same issue and I've been sent the WiFi hub black. It's like there is a cap on my speed. I've a bright spark engineer coming today seems to me though the issue is the fibre 65 package it's faulty and is not ready for use

Gfalcus