Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router reboot

40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi I hade this problem some months back and it has now returned. I have to reboot my router daily. As the download speed drops from 21-22mps to 8-10 mps. This was the original problem I had and was helped by an OCE who sent me a new router and everything was fine until now. Please help! Ray from Cornwall.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I have just checked my download speed via the supportal speed test and it has dropped to 4.4mps!!! The upload speed however stays constant at 1.7-1.9 mps. Razor-sticky71
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Razor-sticky71,

I'm sorry to hear this. When the speed drops does this affect both the wired and wireless speed? Are you currently using the 3782 or the HG633 router? What was the make and model of the previous router also?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the reply. I rebooted the router again last night and the speed went up to 22mps and I have checked it again this morning twice once just before replying to you and it was 22.9mps download. I only ever use wifi as when I tried ethernet it made no difference. all those months ago with another OCE I did all sorts of tests and tried the 3782 router which was no better then I was sent a new HG633 and all had been fine until just recently. I alway know when the speed has dropped as when I am surfing the web the reaction is slow. My previous router was also a HG633. Is there an updated model or a newer type that doesnt have these problems as I see on the forum I am not the only customer to experience these problems.

Regards,

Razor

Highlighted

Hi Razor-sticky71,

Thanks for confirming this. Do you still have the 3782 router at all?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

No I sent it back after the testing as it was no different to the old HG633. The new HG633 which was supplied after is the one I currently have.

Razor.

Highlighted

Hi Razor-sticky71

Would you like to test with the DSL3782 router again?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I dont really thnk its worth it Michelle as it didnt work before! Do Talk Talk supply any other type of router apart from HG633 and the DSL 3782?

Razor

Highlighted
Community Star

If you are having the same issue with multiple routers then the chances are that the problem lies elsewhere. Is everything OK with your landline? Are you connected at your master phone socket and tried the test socket if you have one?

Highlighted

Hi Razor-sticky71,

I've re-run the line tests which are still clear at the moment and the sync speed looks consistent. As you've already tested with 2 different routers then we can pass this over to our Network Team for further investigation as you shouldn't have to keep rebooting the router to increase the throughput speed.

Just before we pass this over would it be possible to retest wired so we can confirm that this is not only related to the wireless connection?

Does the master socket have a test socket and is the voice service also ok with no noise?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I am connected to the main socket and I have no problems with my landline there is no test socket. I have tried both wifi and ethernet and the results are the same. I have run another speed test again to day via supportal test and it was 22.3mps download. I will continue to monitor speed tests to see if it remains constant.

Razor

Highlighted

Hi Razor-sticky71,

Ok thanks for confirming this. If the wired speed does drop again then could you run a wired ping and trace route before you reboot the router and post the results into the thread. We can then pass this over for further investigation.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

As I explained previously i use wifi all the time as to use the ethernet means means me climbing up a ladder to the loft where the main socket is connected carrying the laptop under my arm. I am now in 72 and i find it very difficult to do! Can i do the ping and trace via wifi ?

Razor

Highlighted
Community Star

Sorry, bit confused here, is your router in the loft?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Almost its just outside it. I Live in a barn conversion so its not a conventional loft. I.E. not a door in the ceiling.

Razor

Highlighted
Community Star

That may explain the poor wireless throughput? Although I thought you said previously that you had tested with a direct ethernet connection also, hence my confusion.

Do bear in mind that your broadand service level is geared to delivery at your master telephone socket with a router presumed to be connected nearby and wired connections beyond that. Anything else is subject to many vagaries.

Highlighted

Hi Razor-sticky71,

Could I also confirm, have you tried a few different wireless channels to see how the speeds compare?

Change your wireless channel

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Sorry for the long delay in answering as I have been trying all sorts tests but they all come back the same. Anyhow I have been running a supportal speed test each day for a week and the speed stayed constant at 22.5mps download however the upload has dropped to 1.4mps. Finally today I checked my speed via supportal and once again has dropped to 7.9 mps download 1.4mps upload so I thought I would reboot the router. When I typed in the router address 192.168.1.1 to access the router page nothing happened. So was unable to reboot via my computer. I did reboot however from my mobile phone!!

Highlighted

Hi Razor-sticky71

The line tests have not detected any faults and your line is in sync at 24mb.

It may be worth arranging a TalkTalk engineer visit to investigate the drop in throughput speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Its strange my speed has been constant all week until today. What I cant understand is why all of a sudden when i put 192.168.1.1 in my web browser (microsoft Edge) nothings happens so it must be a problem with the Browser as when I used my Mobile phone which uses Google i was able to access 192.168.1.1 and was able to reboot the router and funnily enough whe i ran another supportal test it was 24.3mps which is the highest its evet been This also relates to your test which was 24mps

Razor.