Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router reboot

Community Team

Hi Razor

Thanks for your reply.

If you do experience this issue again then please can you test with different browsers and let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Just tried Google Chrome and was able to access 192.168.1.1 router with no problem so it must be the Microsft Edge Browser that is the problem. I have sent a feedback message to Microsoft.

Razor

Community Team

Hi Razor

Thanks. If the speed does continue to drop then please let us know.

Debbie

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

It has been a week and the router was behaving itself but to-day its gone haywire. I did a speed test and it was down to 8.00 mps download but upload had increased to 1.9 mps So I rebooted the router but on this occasion it made no difference the result on the speed test were exactly the same! Fed up from Cornwall!

Razor

Community Team

Hi Razor-sticky71,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which is still clear and the sync speed still looks ok. Just to confirm, was this wired or wireless?

Thanks

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I always use wifi as it is impractable to use ethernet. This morning I ran a speedtest via Ookla and it was 22.00 Mps download and 1.8 Mps Upload. I have just run another speedtest via Ookla and it started off at 15.00 Mps and gradually dropped down to 6.5 MPs absolutely useless. The upload speed however was up to 2.2 Mps. It says in my Talktalk account I should expect 12.5-19.00 MPs. What I cannot understand is if I reboot my router it usually goes back to 22 MPs. My question is why is my speed not consistent and why do I have to keep rebooting the router to fix the problem. When I check my internet connection status on the Talktalk Router webpage is says my upstream line rate is: 2058 Kbit/s and my downstream line rate is 24739 Kbit/s yet when I run a speedtest it is nowhere near this. Do I need to buy an aftermarket decent router?

Razor (Fed up from Cornwall)

Community Team

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. @KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any additional advise in regards to the wireless connection?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Razor-sticky71 

Michelle has asked me to help you with your wireless issue. The problem with just going & buying your own router, if the issue is caused by wireless interference, which is probably the most likely cause, you will have wasted your money as the problem will still be there. If it is this type of interference, I can help you fix totally free of charge.

I am not sure which router you are currently using, as earlier posts mention the HG633 & DSL-3782, so the rest of this post is more generic trying to cover all of the current routers.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

If you have the HG633, HG635, DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they are dual-band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and if the HG635 a password of "admin" as well, or if the HG633, DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

HG633/635 go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

DSL-3782 go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith,

I believe you helped with this problem I had with a previous router last year and we did all those tests that you mentioned and there was no significant fault. So what I have done is to change the router settings to the 5Ghz wi fi band to see if makes the speed constant I will then try just the 2.5Ghz to see if there is any difference.

Regards,

Razor

KeithFrench
Community Star

As I said in my last post & I would have said with your last router, making these changes alone will fix nothing. If you want my help to fix these issues then please let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith,

I forgat to mention I have the HG633 and would be more than happy to ran the diagnostic tests with you again. You will just have to guide me through the process as I cant remember what we did.

Regards,

Ray

KeithFrench
Community Star

No problem.

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone & Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

2.4GHz Networks.PNG5GHz Networks(2).PNGnetwork Quality 2.4GHz.PNGNetwork Quality 5GHz (2).PNGSignal Strength 2.4GHz.PNGSignal Strength 5GHz(2).PNG

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

@KeithFrench wrote:

No problem.

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone & Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Hi Keith here are the screen shots please let me know if you get them

Razor
2.4GHz Networks.PNG5GHz Networks(2).PNGnetwork Quality 2.4GHz.PNGNetwork Quality 5GHz (2).PNGSignal Strength 2.4GHz.PNGSignal Strength 5GHz(2).PNG

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Razor-sticky71 

Thanks for those. The main problem is that you have a very poor signal strength on both the 2.4 & 5GHz bands. The signal may increase on the 5GHz band if you move to channel 52. However, not all network adapters support channels 52 & upwards, they certainly should, but probably try & cut costs by not implementing some extra logic that is required if you use these channels.

Back to the signal strength of particularly the 2.4GHz band now. Please can you answer these few more questions:-

1. Approximately where in the property is the router located & is there anything around it such as metal, cordless phone base stations, loudspeakers & fish tanks etc
  2. Approximately where in the property is this PC, again bearing in mind what is around it?
  3. What make/model of network adapter is in this PC?
  4. Is it fitted in a PCI-e slot inside the computer, or connected via USB?
  5. Where are the antennae located, a lot of USB ones have internal antennae, so in that case where is the dongle itself?

Keith

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith,

The router is located upstairs just below a horizontal loft entrance. Inside the door is where I plug the router directly into the main internet socket( My property is a Barn conversion) There is a cordless phone base station just below the router.I mainly use my laptop downstairs which is approx. 20ft away from the router. The network adaptor is an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 3168. Which is inside my HP Pavilion Laptop. I have looked at the Network adaptor properties and can't see what channel it is on or if I can change it to channel 52.

Razor.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Is there any insulation between the upper floor/lower ceiling that might be covered in tin foil or any other metal objects? You change the channel in the router, the details of how to do this are in the guide I sent you.

Keith

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

No insulation just plasterboard. I have changed the channel to 52 on the 5GHz  as it was set on auto and will see how it performs.

Razor

Community Team

Hi Razor-sticky71,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Razor-sticky71
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Well I thought things were going reall well until to-day. I noticed my connection was slow so ran a supportal speed test and it was down to 1.9mps download but upload was the same 1.9-2.00! I am at a loss as what to do now i am just completely fed up. I did do a reboot and this fixed it but only for half an hour. As after I had my dinner it was back down to 1.9mps download. This is supposed to be superfast fibre and its rubbish.

Razor