cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Router rebooting 3/4 times an hour.......

13 REPLIES
Highlighted
Loghenge
Team Player

Firstly, a little background info.....

About 3 weeks ago I noticed my fibre was running at 14 Mbps instead of the usual 67 Mbps.

Openreach sent an engineer out on 7th March to fix the problem. He found an incorrect cable in the cabinet and replaced it with the correct one.

That evening I was back to my usual 67 Mbps and everything was fine.

The following day my router started to reboot about 3 or 4 times an hour, sometimes more.

I have done loads of testing and tried numerous fixes but to no avail. These include:

Swapping the router with another TT one that I currently have due to a different issue that is now resolved.

Swapping the power supply.

Switching off 5Ghz

Factory resetting the router

One thing I have noticed is that the router is now receiving a download speed of 75 Mbps, which I have never had so I am wondering whether something in the config at the back end has changed and my line is receiving too much data or some such thing......

When I was receiving 67 Mbps, I was getting router reboots about once or twice a week but I was prepared to put up with it. So this may have been a sign that there is an issue somewhere.

Last night, the router did manage to stay up for about 8 hours but then it rebooted again, just before 7:00 am and again just before 8:00.

Community Team

Hi Loghenge,

I've run a test on your line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection appears to have stabilised since your last post.

How have you found the stability of your connection since your last post?

Thanks

Loghenge
Team Player

I did also log a call over the weekend and it appears to be a little more stable since then.

Two obvious reboots whilst watching the football yesterday but a lot better otherwise.

Will keep monitoring over next few days and let you know.

Community Team

Hi Loghenge,

Ok thanks for the update and let us know how the connection compares over the next 24-48hrs :)

Thanks

Loghenge
Team Player

Hi Michelle

I was having my best run, up for 32+ hours but then it rebooted again on Tuesday evening.

More tweaking required I think.

I'm also still receiving a good 5 or 6 Mbps than I was before which maybe he issue.

Community Team

Hi Loghenge

I've changed your router firmware version, please let us know how the connection compares following this.

Thanks

Debbie

Loghenge
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Had the best run yet, almost 6 days without a reboot but I just checked it and the router rebooted 2 hours ago :(

Community Team

Hi Loghenge

I've checked the connection logs and I can see this re connection.

Did you experience any faults with the landline service when you experienced the drop in connection?

Is the router connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Loghenge
Team Player

Hi

I didn't notice the reconnection until later when I logged on to see how long the router had been up.

Also, very rarely use the landline so unlikely we would ever notice anything there.

The router is currently plugged into the master socket but not the test socket.

Community Team

Hi Loghenge

Thanks for your reply. Would it be possible to test the router directly at the test socket?

Debbie

Loghenge
Team Player

I could but I have had this problem on and off with 3 different micro-filters.

And I am now using one of the new Bt Vdsl Mk4 With Combind Nte5c faceplates.

Community Team

Hi Loghenge

Has the connection improved since we changed the firmware version?

We can raise this as a fault to our Network Team if the connection is still dropping with a different router, filter and cable at the test socket.

Thanks

Debbie

Loghenge
Team Player

Its hard to say if firmware improved things.

It certainly had its longest "up time" of nearly 6 days since having it upgraded.

I have also noticed that i am still receiving about 6 Mbps more than I used to get but this could be down to the replacement cable outside. 

Community Team

Hi Loghenge

I can raise this over to our Network Team but as the connection is remaining stable for a period of time then they may be unable to detect any issues.

Would it be ok to monitor the connection for a little while longer to see if it remains stable for this time period again?

Thanks

Debbie