Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router regularly disconnecting

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Team Player

I have been having problems with my fibre broadband.

Our router is on the middle floor of our house. We have Wifi everywhere and a TV Box and xBox connected via Powerline adapters downstairs.

We often (several times a day sometimes - 4 times in a hour the other evening) have issues losing the internet to the TV box and xBox which I thought was a Powerline adapter problem but whilst streaming on my mobile to the TV the other day (Wifi to phone then HDMI to TV) we lost connection twice. I work from home and I noticed my PC (ethernet cable to router) recently losing connection.

I added an extension to Chrome to monitor the Broadband Connection on my PC and it has logged 16 disconnections in 1.5 days.

The router is almost brand new. I just got 16.91 and 18.13 download speed (where it used to be above 21) and 2.97 and 3.1 upload.

The problem is getting worse and watching catch-up TV is a total lottery as to whether we can get through a full hour without a disconnection.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi thebobajob,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks very stable. I can't currently see which router you are using. Could you confirm the make and model please?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi

This router - https://accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/39

version SG4K10002810t

Latest log attached.

I don't know whether the Powerline Adapter problem is related or if it is 2 separate issues, no problems with adapters night before last, went down within 5 minutes last night and 20 minutes to come back up.

Highlighted

Hi thebobajob,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to test without the powerline adapters connected for a short period to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I'll disconnect them now.

Highlighted
Team Player

I don't see how the Powerline Adapters could affect the router, only the other way round. I have disconnected them for now though.

Highlighted

Hi thebobajob,

Thanks, have you also tried separating the SSID's? Which router were you previously using? Was this the same make and model or different?

Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

My SSID's have always been split and named accordingly. The issue isn't with Wifi though (except when the router disconnects from the internet).

I was using one of your Huawei HG633 routers before.

Highlighted

Hi thebobajob,

Ok, if the router has been ok up until now then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Are your router's that unreliable? Every time I have a problem all you do is send me a new router. Rather than waste more I shall re-install my old router and monitor that for a few days. As far as I know there was nothing wrong with that router (though I didn't monitor the connection), I was just offered a free upgrade with my new contract as the new one is supposedly better.

Highlighted

Hi thebobajob,

No not at all, if the router was working fine for a while and then developed an issue then we would try a different router just to rule this out. Please let us know how the connection compares with the alternative router.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I have been running our old router (HG633, v2.00t) for 5 days now and the disconnection of the Powerline Adapters has certainly improved, though not completely gone away. We have had at least 2 evenings of uninterrupted TV watching. I can't see how the router would affect this unless there was a faulty ethernet port.

I also set up a Ping yesterday evening (results attached) which shows that there are regular connection problems to the internet.

Highlighted
Team Player
I have also just got 23Mbps and 22Mbps downloads which is a big improvement from last week on the new router.
Highlighted

Hi thebobajob

Apologies for the delay.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 25.8mb and the connection appears to have remained stable since 04/07.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi

So it looks like the new router I had was faulty? Since this new hub is supposed to be better than the HG633 is it possible to get a replacement please?

Bob

Highlighted

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply.

Can I just check, was the new router a Sagemcom Wifi hub or the Huawei Wifi hub?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

It's this one - https://accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/39 - which seems to be the Sagecom?
It doesn't say what it is on the box and I can't plug it in at the moment.

The Sagecom does not appear to be very reliable, just looking at comments on the internet, which could explain the problems I had and doesn't inspire me to use a new one.

Bob

Highlighted

Hi Bob

Thanks. Are you happy for me to send a replacement Huawei Wifi hub router?

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

What model is it please so I can look at the spec?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi Bob

It's the Huawei DG8041W

Thanks

Debbie