Back in November 2019 I upgraded to faster fibre boost which at the time took my router from a 40/10 sync up to a 80/20 sync
Back then I posted a healthy speed test of 74.5/18.8mbps speed test and the router since at almost a perfect 80/20 https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Speed-boost-upgrade-but-no-speed-boost-Please-he...
So now I still have a healthy 80/20 sync but the difference is the actual download speed is strikingly close to 40/10 speed. I am unsure of when this change occurred, could be 1 week or 2 weeks ago as I don't constantly monitor the speed. BUT what I am sure of is that a 40/10 cap has been imposed.
The question is why? and is it temporary? Please let me know.
I know my usage has been quite heavy recently could this be a reason for the cap?
Below I've included a screenshot of the actual router sync speed and a screenshot of a TT speed test
Hi @mrcrowley what results do you get wired, and what with your tt router?
I'm using a tplink router and it's wired as above. I've previously used a tt router and the results are near identical but I went back to the tplink router as it has usb3 ports which is good for sharing files on the network.
Hi @mrcrowley so you have tested with both routers, wired and found the same results?
Could I suggest that you connect the TT router for the time being so the OCE teams can help you with the issue.
Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow.
Hi Debbie thanks for your reply. I powered down the router as per your request. It was for about 40 minutes. I have not managed to locate the TT router yet will it be neccessary?
Screenshots below. Now slightly improved sync speed but speed test still strongly hinting at a 40/10 cap.
Thanks for your reply.
Would it be ok to test with the TT router? I can send a replacement for testing if you are unable to find the router.
Have you also tried running the speed test on a different device?
I've just found it do you recommend I disconnect for 30 minutes again?
Hi Debbie so I went ahead and connected the TT router and the speed test is now much closer to its potential. While this is good news its also irritating for me as my 3rd party router worked fine until now and I did enjoy its hard drive shares. I feel I must however apologize for taking your time.
Thanks for your help.
Here's the sync/speed test screenshots for info
Hopefully TT hasn't just started throttling 3rd party routers.
I have just noticed that my external ip address has changed since connecting the TT router so my best guess is thats whats fixed it and not the switching of routers.
In the first instance when I shut down the TPlink router for 40 minutes the ip address did not change on that occasion so the throttling may just have been occurring on the particular network route I was connected to.
OK guys "hands up and red faced"
I just plugged the tplink router in again which is showing 80000/19999 kbps
But still with same results in speed test but Now I've just noiticed a section labeled "Bandwidth control" in router admin page.
Unbeknownst to me Downstream was set to 400000 and upstream 9999 kbps
"Hangs head in embarrassment"
All working hunky dory again ^_^
Hi @mrcrowley loving the confession well done.