cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Router synced at 80/20 but speed test shows 40/10 cap

17 REPLIES 17
Team Player

Back in November 2019 I upgraded to faster fibre boost which at the time took my router from a 40/10 sync up to a 80/20 sync

Back then I posted a healthy speed test of 74.5/18.8mbps speed test and the router since at almost a perfect 80/20 https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Speed-boost-upgrade-but-no-speed-boost-Please-he...

So now I still have a healthy 80/20 sync but the difference is the actual download speed is strikingly close to 40/10 speed. I am unsure of when this change occurred, could be 1 week or 2 weeks ago as I don't constantly monitor the speed. BUT what I am sure of is that a 40/10 cap has been imposed.

The question is why? and is it temporary? Please let me know.

I know my usage has been quite heavy recently could this be a reason for the cap?

Below I've included a screenshot of the actual router sync speed and a screenshot of a TT speed test

tplink.jpgspeed.jpgstatus.jpg

My Speed boost has landed
Community Star

Hi @mrcrowley what results do you get wired, and what with your tt router? 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Team Player

I'm using a tplink router and it's wired as above. I've previously used a tt router and the results are near identical but I went back to the tplink router as it has usb3 ports which is good for sharing files on the network.

Community Star

Hi @mrcrowley so you have tested with both routers, wired and found the same results?

Could I suggest that you connect the TT router for the time being so the OCE teams can help you with the issue. 

Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow. 

Team Player
I will connect the TT router up tomorrow and post results then.
Thanks
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi mrcrowley

Your line is showing in sync at 79.3mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Hi Debbie thanks for your reply. I powered down the router as per your request. It was for about 40 minutes. I have not managed to locate the TT router yet will it be neccessary?

Screenshots below. Now slightly improved sync speed but speed test still strongly hinting at a 40/10 cap.tplink.jpgspeed.jpg

Hi mrcrowley

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be ok to test with the TT router? I can send a replacement for testing if you are unable to find the router.

Have you also tried running the speed test on a different device?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

I've just found it do you recommend I disconnect for 30 minutes again?

Hi mrcrowley

Yes, please can you leave the router switched off for 30 minutes before you then connect the TT router.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Hi Debbie so I went ahead and connected the TT router and the speed test is now much closer to its potential. While this is good news its also irritating for me as my 3rd party router worked fine until now and I did enjoy its hard drive shares. I feel I must however apologize for taking your time.

Thanks for your help.

Here's the sync/speed test screenshots for infotplink.jpgspeed.jpg

Hi mrcrowley

It's no trouble, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

It may be worth factory resetting your own router just to see if this helps?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Thanks again

Hopefully TT hasn't just started throttling 3rd party routers.

I have just noticed that my external ip address has changed since connecting the TT router so my best guess is thats whats fixed it and not the switching of routers.

In the first instance when I shut down the TPlink router for 40 minutes the ip address did not change on that occasion so the throttling may just have been occurring on the particular network route I was connected to.

Hi mrcrowley,

We don't throttle 3rd party routers so it's probably worth trying the TP link router  again

Chris

Team Player

OK guys "hands up and red faced"

I just plugged the tplink router in again which is showing 80000/19999 kbps

But still with same results in speed test but Now I've just noiticed a section labeled "Bandwidth control" in router admin page.

Unbeknownst to me Downstream was set to 400000 and upstream 9999 kbps

"Hangs head in embarrassment"

All working hunky dory again ^_^

Community Star

Hi @mrcrowley good advice from both @OCE_Chris and @OCE_Debbie.

I promise you no throttling on my Draytek router. The TP link will almost certainly work fine, you could probably put it into AP mode and keep the USB facility if all else fails? 

Community Star

Hi @mrcrowley loving the confession well done.