would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

SSL problems

ANSWERED
11 REPLIES 11
RichardW2
Popular Poster

Big problems today with my fibre broadband.  Internet connection is up, but I am finding that opening a page on an SSL website always results in an error.  Usually it reports there is a certificate problem and that this indicates someone could be trying to intercept or fool me.  

The problem occurs on all devices (PCs, iPads, iPhones) and has been consistent all day.  

I have tethered some some of my devices to my iPhone to see if that works, and it does.  So I have narrowed the problem down to the TalkTalk service I think.  

TalkTalk Tech Support have advised me a few times to “switch it off, then switch it on again”.  Unsurprisingly this hasn’t fixed the problem.  They have not given me any useful advice or diagnostic beyond that.  

Anyone have any ideas what needs to be done to fix this?  My configuration is slightly unusual in that I am using Draytek VDSL modem, and Ubiquiti EdgeRouter to manage the connection (the TalkTalk supplied router is nowhere near adequate for my needs).  The service has run successfully on this config for probably 4 months now.  

Also, can anyone clue me where to call in TalkTalk for some effective customer tech support?  There must be useful second and third line support people there; but I can’t get through to them!

thanks for any help you can bring.  

R

Richard W - I just want it to work...
Divsec
Community Star

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum. Two things spring to mind.

Which DNS are you using on the Draytek?

The sites you are trying to reach are they TeamViewer or similar. Talk talk generally blocks them but can free them up if requested.

TalkTalk will struggle to support third party equipment, you may have more success with Draytek.

Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi RichardW2,

I'm sorry to hear this. Which sites are you having issues connecting to?

Thanks

RichardW2
Popular Poster

Hi, I have been having problems connecting to any site requiring SSL.  They have all returned certificate error problems.  Examples include sites like the BBC and Google.com so it's mainstream sites.  

The errors are things like ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR and other more specific ones about invalid certificates.  

Curiously the problems became intermittent yesterday evening, and have not recurred this morning.  However I am keen to uncover the cause as this was a major problem for us yesterday.  

Please note also that the errors were widespread across machines (PCs, iPads, iPhones) and browsers (IE, Chrome, Edge, Safari), and I was able to isolate the problem to the TalkTalk connection by confirming everything worked over a mobile phone.  

I spoke to Technical Support who focused their attention on physical connections and resetting the modem (Draytek Vigor130) and router (Ubiquiti Edgerouter X), with no success whatever.  

R

Community Team

Hi 

Can you check if the error occurs when using our router ?

RichardW2
Popular Poster

I can't check it using a TalkTalk router, no.  

The SSL problems now appear to have gone away but the connection is now poor and intermittent.  It works for a few minutes then drops out, then comes back on again perhaps a minute later.  Then repeats the cycle.  

Divsec
Community Star

Gonna be really difficult sorting your problem out without a tt router to talk to, don't tell me you binned it?

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
RichardW2
Popular Poster

Let's close the thread here.  Sounds like there isn't an obvious solution and my better bet is to speak directly with TT Tech Support.  I don't think it will be too effective trying to debug things via the online forum.  

I was really just hoping someone else might have had same problem and found a resolution.  

RichardW2
Popular Poster
Solution

I think I may have resolved my problem.  My configuration for the VDSL modem was wrong, or at least was not compliant with Draytek's current recommended config.  Both the VCI and the MTU needed changing from their old values.  

The good news is that once I changed them, bingo.  The link came up nice and stable and there's been no problem since.  Which is helpful as my better half was about to strangle me (as a proxy for strangling TalkTalk).  

For anyone who needs the link to Draytek's helpful config page for TalkTalk, here it is:  

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-isp-talktalk#vigor-vdsl2-modems

Hope this helps someone else.  

R

ferguson
Community Star

@RichardW2 Glad you got yourself untangled. Just to note though that the link of yours is useless unless you are a registered Draytek user. Another member has had difficulties with this, but yet another posted the relevant content based on the same setup as yours, I am surprised you missed it:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Setup-draytek-and-fast-5364/m-p/2388845

RichardW2
Popular Poster

Thanks ferguson.  I hadn't found that other article you referred to.  That may say more about the search facility on the site than anything else.  

ferguson
Community Star

That's interesting, because when I typed "Draytek" into the search field this is what I got:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=f...