Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sagecom FAST 5364 WiFi seems be set to AUTO, even though channel set manually

ANSWERED
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
mistersharpe
Popular Poster

Why we all need to make new threads on this I don't know? 

But, I have exactly the same issue with WiFi channels resetting, except it seems to like channel 6. I set it to anything else, and hours later...it's 6. The support guy, when remotely looking at my router via the TR-909 protocol, was telling me it's set to AUTO, when I could clearly see 8. He said I've now set it to 8. I thought maybe it's taking the setting as it's been set remotely, but no, hours later, I'm back on 6 again. Wouldn't mind, but 6 has 13 other networks on it so the range it absolute pants! 

Come on TalkTalk, clearly a firmware issue here, put some pressure on the supplier to give us a resolution, as the WiFi is basically unusable for me, and I'm sure many other customers. From what I can see, this has been dragging on since February? 

mistersharpe
Popular Poster
Or is there an alternative router from another manufacturer you can supply, or supplementary WiFi hardware? As I'm not able to fully use the service I'm paying for here.
mistersharpe
Popular Poster
FYI: When on a support chat, the chap was saying that my channel was set to AUTO, when I could see it as 8 on the router control panel. To me, it seems that it's always AUTO and the change a user can make in the control panel is merely temporary. As the channel frequency does change (as confirmed via WiFi Analyzer Android app), but always reverts back to AUTO after an certain amount of time.
Community Team
Solution

Hi

I've made a small change from here.  Set your router as preferred and see if this helps.

Can I ask however, why is it, that you need to change your wifi channels, when left to their own settings, do you find any disruption on your devices etc ?

Thanks

Karl. 

mistersharpe
Popular Poster

Because my property is very elevated, I can see 24 WiFi networks, and most of them are on channel 6. The channel that the router insists on using. The WiFi Analyzer application shows the networks on a graph and channel 8 is the clearest for me. 6 is like a sardine can.

Can I ask about the setting, is this something I was unable to access myself?

Community Team

Hi

Yes, this is something you are unable to change from your side.  

with this change done, see how things are over the rest of the day.

Thanks

Karl. 

mistersharpe
Popular Poster

Thanks for clarifying, Karl.

Does this mean that any manual change the WiFi channel will stick going forward?

I'll report back once I'm back in the property later. Thanks again.

Community Team

Hi

Yes, any change you make now will stick.

Change things then report back in a couple of days and let me know how things are.

Thanks

Karl. 

mistersharpe
Popular Poster

Hello Karl,

I'm rather pleased to say that WiFi channel (so far) is still on the custom value of 8, for over 3 hours now.

While I have you here, another similar issue occurs on the router too. If I rename a device that is connected, when I click to rename the device from 'b8:27:eb:1d:64:09' and give it a friendly name, it either allows you to save it, but then shows the MAC address again, or gives the error, "Operation could not complete, something wrong happened" 🙈

Any other hidden settings that effect this also? 🤔

Community Team

Hi

This issue is addressed in the next firmware version that is currently in testing.

Regards,

Karl. 

mistersharpe
Popular Poster

Superb!

It's quite disappointing that the "support" on chat didn't know about the setting your changed that's fixed my channel issue, or had any idea about the device names not sticking. Why is the knowledge gap so vast?

Are you looking for any testers on the firmware?

Community Team

Hi

The firmware is currently in public testing.  We have had meetings with our device manager to discuss this, and pending the results of the testing, we should be given the green light to update the firmware for any of our community customers who want to try this, from next week.

Thanks

Karl. 

mistersharpe
Popular Poster

Excellent stuff!

Is there an official page or thread where these release are announced at all?

Community Team

Hi mistersharpe,

Unfortunately not, however we will be posting on the Community once this firmware is available 🙂

Thanks