Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sagecom FAST 5364 WiFi seems be set to AUTO, even though channel set manually

Highlighted
mistersharpe
Team Player
Hi Michelle, if I'm honest, I think the WiFi range is a little worse than the previous firmware. Don't know if the tweaks I applied via phone support have been reversed, or if any updates were made to this function, but it doesn't quite reach the extremities of my apartment now. The unit has definitely not moved - it lives in the hallway cupboard up the top and isn't touched at all.
Please advise.
Cheers.

PS: Was it updated 20d 12h38m28s ago? 😊
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi mistersharpe,

I can't see the date that the firmware was updated. Is the main issue now that the wireless channels keep changing?

Our performance monitoring tool will only change channels when interference is detected.  It will learn about each device that is connected over time.

However our Products Team have advised if you are experiencing issues and would prefer to select your own wireless channels then we can arrange for Wi-Fi optimisation technology to be switched off on your line.

Thanks

Highlighted
mistersharpe
Team Player

Hi, no the issue is "the WiFi range is a little worse than the previous firmware". The channel kept changing to AUTO (as per the post title), but this was fixed manually via a telephone support call prior to the latest firmware update. So that is no longer as issue.

But there's definitely a change in performance. My router has not moved at all, as it lives in the hallway cupboard and is out of reach. My WiFi channels are currently manually set, and have been since the manual fix over the phone. The channels used are optimum according to an app used on my phone to recommend the most efficient, and less congested one.

So would the upgrade have affected any of the manual tweaks performed during the support call, or has any functions of the WiFi been updated from the latest firmware?.

Either way....it's worse than it was, and I've effectively changed nothing my end. Rebooted it of course, but there's not much else to try my end.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi mistersharpe,

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for confirming this. Have you ever tested with a different router to rule this out? If not then please let us know and we can arrange to send a replacement router for testing purposes.

Thanks

Highlighted
mistersharpe
Team Player

Hi Michelle, so is that a 'no' to both of my questions then? And the only option is to try another router? Would seem rather spooky for something to degrade in the router at the same time a firmware upgrade occurred 🤔

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi mistersharpe,

I'm not aware of the firmware update affecting the wireless range. Would you like to test the different router to see how the wireless connection compares?

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any additional advice in regards to the wireless connection?

Thanks

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

From a very quick look at the subject title, rather than reading through the posts, has ASSIA Optimisation been turned off on this router? If still on, that will change the WiFi channel used, even when set to a dedicated channel?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
mistersharpe
Team Player

Keith, this is no longer the issue, but I've just continued this thread as it's a by-product of the solution (I feel).

Cheers.

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

So have you used a WiFi analyser? I'm sorry, but currently, I do not have the time to read all through the logs.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Quick check here and I'm showing Assia is off for this router.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
mistersharpe
Team Player

And yes, as mentioned in previous post, I've used that to find the optimal channel. Mainly to serve the extremities of the property.

I'm guessing AUTO can't cope with the scenario of clients being connected at either end of the property, where one channel selection would be detrimental to the other? Or does it have some form of QoS that will detect one client is streaming, for instance, and prioritise channel allocation for it, over one sending sporadic web requests?

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

OK, but currently I am trying to arrange everything for a close family bereavement and as such my time is limited.

If you want to send me screenshots from your analyser at about a couple of metres away & at the extremities where you have the problem, I will take a look at them for you. The screenshots I require are:-

1. Signal Strength/time graph
2. Network Quality
3. 2.4GHz APs Channels (highlight your 2.4GHz network for this screenshot)
4. 5GHz APs Channels (highlight your 5GHz network for this screenshot)

I will also need to know your SSIDs (network names) of your router, any extenders and any
Wi-Fi printers or anything else that operates in Ad-Hoc mode (broadcast their own networks).

The only problems that you may come across are not in respect of QoS, but the use of any 802.11b or 802.11g network adapters, as these will reduce your throughput of all devices when in use. If any 802.11b device is connected, but not doing anything, this will still slow the throughput dramatically on the 2.4GHz band.

Keith