Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sent HG633 instead of Hub

19 REPLIES 19
Wilma46
Popular Poster

Hello, I’ve been a Talk customer for as long as I can remember, and I always seemed to have issues with the HG633 router, its range is very poor, and it drops out a lot of the time.

The router died on me, and my son replaced with one of his own, but he needed it back so I contacted Talktalk who admitted the HG633 wasn’t the best, and said they would send out a new “Hub” type which has improved range, less drop outs and overall performance improvement.

sadly I’ve been sent another HG633 which is performing just as bad as the last one.

finally, I have a fibre speed boost, and have been told to expect 50meg download, but I get 40meg max and I have to be very near the router to get this.

could someone please advise?, I’d like to return the HG633 for the updated one please.

thanks. W

WS
martswain
Philosopher

WiFi speeds are not in any way guaranteed, too many variables, old adapters in devices, interference, distance, band etc

What speeds do you get with ONE device connected to the router by LAN cable ?

Martin
Wilma46
Popular Poster

Thank you....we get roughly the same speed using LAN, and regardless if I use 2.4 or 5 ghz or duel band the performance drops off badly as I walk away from the router.

My son has worked in IT all his life and he says the router just can’t cut it (he performed lots of tests on it) the range isn’t good and I suffer drop outs as a result which is the main thing that frustrates me.

I was informed that I would receive the better hub router but that hasn’t occurred, very disappointed to be stuck with this poor router.

WS
Community Team

Hi Wilma46,

Welcome to the Community

The HG633 is a current model and your sync speed is within the predicted range for your line. Is your router situated close to other wireless or electrical devices that could be causing interference?

Thanks

Chris

Wilma46
Popular Poster

Hi Chris

No, there is nothing, my son checked everything and he has tried many different settings for the router.

When the last Talk Talk router died he gave me one of his and it performed very well, no drop outs and it was great being able to surf without interruption.

I’m 73 and I do not need the hassle of this, sadly my son had to take away the borrowed router since his job needed it (he is an IT guru).

The range of this TT router is poor, and the drop outs frustrating. I am also disappointed that I was informed I would receive nearer 50meg and that a supposedly better router would be sent.

😞

WS
Community Team

Hi Wilma46,

Would you like to try the 3782 router instead to see how the wireless connection compares?

Thanks

Wilma46
Popular Poster

Hello, this isn’t the router that was promised me though, but sure I’ll try this one you mention, thanks.

WS
Community Team

Hi Wilma46

The DSL3782 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Wilma46
Popular Poster

Hello, my son set the router up and he said the new DSL3782 router wasn’t good and worse than the original Huawei one I have.

Using the DSL 3782 gave a very poor Wi-Fi signal, measured from only 10 meters away, and a download speed of 2-3 meg when I should be nearer 40meg (or so I was told).

Shall I pack up the 3782 router? My son did all he could with it, he said it was ok (if nothing special) up close, but poor when it had to travel 12 meters into another room, even with door open.

Download speeds with our original router are yielding around 15 meg tonight so my son is putting together something to give to Talktalk that will allow me to leave even though I’m still in contract.

Thanks for everything, but Talktalk just isn’t for me.

WS
martswain
Philosopher

If, as the OCE has stated, your sync speed is within the predicted speeds for your line, the TT are highly unlikely to release you from your contract without paying the appropriate early termination fee.

Martin
martswain
Philosopher

If, as the OCE has stated, your sync speed is within the predicted speeds for your line, then TT are highly unlikely to release you from your contract without paying the appropriate early termination fee.

Martin
Community Team

Hi Wilma46,

I'm sorry to hear this. Is it just the wireless speed which is affected? Is the wired speed ok?

Thanks

Wilma46
Popular Poster

Wilma’s son here, the sync speed in this case helps my mother’s cause because it backs up the fact that she doesn’t get near those figures.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 essentially states that the service (in this case, which includes the router) isn’t either as described or advertised, of proper quality or fit for purpose. Along with the sync speed, I also know her minimum guaranteed speed too.  Typically a service provider has 8 weeks to demonstrate it has attempted to fix the issue at hand.

I have recorded, via my own calibrated equipment the Wi-Fi signal of both TalkTalk routers provided so far, and whilst they are satisfactory (just, in my opinion) within one room, the signal strength dies off drastically as it travels into another room with the door open (distance appx 12 meters).  No other equipment is attached to the router, or any microwaves (despite them being on a different frequency) etc to interfere.

I have helped my mother out, since I work in this field (25 years IT, control / Instrumentation background) by giving her decent routers from Billion, Netgear and even an open BT Hub, all of which worked fantastic. They give great signals, and a consistent level of performance too. I admit, we have never reached the sync speed and whilst my mother is fine with her not even reaching this or the minimum speed she has been quoted, she doesn’t, understandably, want mickey-take speeds, poor Wi-Fi and drop outs.

By the way, even with LAN we are still off minimum guaranteed speed, but this is a speed she is happy with.

It’s firmly up to Talk Talk to provide her with a router which is fit for purpose. I can assure you that the environment that it has to perform in is not a challenging one. Yes I could install power lines (they have their own issues when moving between router and power line however), Wi-Fi boosters or even a second router, but I just personally feel that it’s talktalk’s responsibility.

She called Talktalk, explained her problems (she can be hard of hearing, hence why she signed up here) and she informed me that she was promised the 5364 router which I was delighted with, as I have quite a bit of experience with this router and truth be told I’ve been impressed as it’s almost as good as the routers I have fitted for her, not far off the BT Hub in fact.

My mother has been a loyal customer for many many years, it’s not like she has just signed up and decided to chance her arm after regretting it.

I hate to appear difficult, but this is very simple for me, she either receives this router promised or I continue to proceed with getting her released from her contract which I am very confident of success with.  I believe people should receive the services they pay for and the law backs this up.

My mother is 73 years old, life is too short to be messing about with broadband which is poor in its performance.

Thanks for all replies and guidance, but I know what the problems are here and it’s not a difficult one to fix.

Thank you.

WS
Community Team

Hi,

As we've said, the sync speed is within the predicted range and above the guaranteed minimum. Could you run a couple of wired speed tests on the My Account speed checker and let us know how you get on

Please also see our Complaint Process

Chris

Wilma46
Popular Poster

Sync Speed: 43 meg download, 9 meg upload

Guaranteed speed: 33-46 meg down

Speedtest from Talk talk website (HG633 Router)

WiFi (3 feet away)

Test 1: 21.9 meg down, 7.8 meg up

Test 2: 18.6 meg down, 7.9 meg up

Hard wired (Cat 5e)

Test 1: 13.5 meg down, 7.8 meg up

Test 2: 9.5 meg down, 7.8 meg up

On speedtest from Which.co.uk website, maximum Hard wired speed was 18 meg down, and Wi-Fi similar.

Logged in during tests, approx Sunday 30th June, 1pm, and the router wasn't hiding inside a microwave oven.

WS
Community Team

Hi Wilma46,

Thanks for running the speed tests but did you run them on the My Account speed checker? We can usually see the results but I can't see any recent test results

Chris

Wilma46
Popular Poster

Hello, yes we made sure that I was logged in (using my account details) and then proceeded to carry out the tests.  We made a note of them though and posted them above.

WS
Community Team

OK thanks,

Strange that wired speed tests are so low. Can you please run 3 sets of pings and 3 sets of trace routes at different times of day to www.google.co.uk and can you post the results. Can you run the tests on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-perform-ping-or-traceroute

Thanks

Chris

Wilma46
Popular Poster

Apologies for the delay in replying, my son (who has his own IT company, and a degree in this too) has handed me back one of his routers and we have ditched the TT one.

He says latency has never been an issue, it was the router.

The router he gave me is working well with good range, and I’m now getting around 30meg, which can rise and fall through the day.

This will suffice for now until my contract ends, upon which time I’ll leave TT.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Wilma

WS
Community Team