Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Separate VLANs with super router?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
First Timer

I just wondered if anyone knows if its possible to set up multiple separate VLANs using the Talktalk super router (I don't think you can from what I've seen), and if not what the simplest/cheapest way of doing this might be?

Just use a different router or add an access point (& switch?)?

I am hoping to set up a separate closed VLAN for some wifi cameras, and looking for the easiest way to do this (to isolate them). Not an expert here so very grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Insightful One

From what I've read it doesn't.  Personally I chose to buy my own router, a Draytek 2762, as in addition to offering VLANS (😎 it also has multiple (4) SSIDs allowing friends to access the Internet while stopping them accessing my network, a much more flexible firewall than on the standard router, and built-in support for incoming VPNs, although that can be a bit flaky possibly because I only have standard fibre with the associated lower upload rate.

There are of course other routers which offer VLANs and whichever one you go with you will have a bit of a learning curve to  get it set up the way you want.

Highlighted
First Timer

That's really helpful, thanks very much. I'll look into routers and the one you suggest, guess it would be easier to just have the one device I can learn to set up how I need (don't need anything too complicated).

Cheers for the advice!

Highlighted
Insightful One
The setup of routers providing VLANs will be more complex than an ISP supplied routers because of the greater capabilities offered. That said getting the basic functionality working should not be a problem and there are a number of threads on this community offing advice on connecting 3rd party routers. When it comes to setting up VLANs the various router manufacturers have their own helpful communities and support pages.
Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks so much for all this. I've been looking into alternative routers, it looks like ones with proper VLAN support are a bit more than I was hoping to spend (well over £100). Although there are cheaper ones (e.g. netgear and TP Link) with a 'guest network' option, which although not perfect (not so secure? or customisable) might do the job given my needs. Still working things out!

Insightful One

If you use the TP-Link guest network facility then you will be able to isolate your cameras from you network provided the all connect using WiFi.  This will allow them to send email alerts and upload ftp pictures to a ftp server on the web.  You would not be able to access the cameras from your main network.  So in order to configure them or access their video streams you would either have to connect to the guest network or implement DDNS and port forwarding on your router in order that you access the cameras from your network via the internet.

Highlighted
First Timer

Awesome thank you. Foolishly thought this would be a lot more straight forward!

I'm leaning towards the TP Link AC1200 (or 1600), the parental controls will be handy too. I was tempted to push the budget for a Draytek like you, but think its probably beyond my ability to set it all up properly. The TP link sounds a bit more novice-friendly, and enough for my needs! Do you think this is a reasonable choice (for someone with v limited knowledge of networking....)?

Thanks again

Highlighted
Insightful One

No problem.  I went with Draytek because I have experience of them and needed (in reality probably wanted) some of the additional features it offers in order to practice/improve my networking skills. From what you have said it seems likely that the TP-Link will meet your needs. It might also be worth looking at the ASUS and Netgear ranges of routers. Each of the companies has its fans and detractors so you just have to look at specs and reviews and pick the one that best meets with your requirements/budget.