cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Settings for 3rd party router with TT router as bridge?

6 REPLIES 6
First Timer

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting TT Fibre broadband to replace my (very) expensive BT Fibre.

I've currently got a Ubiquiti Amplifi Mesh Wifi router, but I would need to use the Talk Talk router in a bridge mode /as a modem as the Ubiquiti is a router only, not modem.

How would I go about doing this?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Community Star

If you put the TT router in bridge mode, nothing will have internet access, you mean put it in modem mode. However, no TT router these days supports modem mode, but generally, that is not a problem.

Just leave the TT router in its default configuration, but disable the WiFi. The 3rd party router will need to be configured to go into bridge mode & disable its DHCP server. All routing has to be done by the TT router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

First Timer

Ah that won't work for me, because I need routing to be done by my router. It has a mesh Wifi system with access points around the house, and the TT router is in no way going to be good enough sending signal around the house (my old 3200AC Asus router couldn't even handle that well enough!) 

Is it then possible to use a 3rd party modem and my 3rd party router and not even both with the one TT send through the post?

I'm currently using a Huawei HG-something modem and my router with my BT internet and it works perfectly, I've never bothered with the BT Hub they sent me.

First Timer
And I also have wired connections and many port forwarding rules specifically configured to my own router so I don't think your method would be the ideal solution for me?
Community Star

I think you misunderstand this.

Your Mesh system must be in bridge mode. It still handles all of the Wi-Fi around your property & wired connections connect to the TT router. All of this is on the 192.168.1.x network (you can change that if you wish), as are the TT router's LAN ports. At this point, there is no need for any routing as everything locally is on the same network. Port forwarding will also work no problem.

Routing is only ever used when an IP packet needs to get off the local 192.168.1.x network to the internet (or in the unlikely case some other network). The TT router is connected to the public internet & has an IP address allocated to it by the network (for argument's sake let's say that is 1.2.3.4). The TT router will then route IP packets between the local 192.168.1.x network & the public or WAN IP address of 1.2.3.4.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

First Timer

Ah I see, thanks a lot.

So if I use this method, do I need a username/password as I have needed on my BT setup, or is it just going to be plug and play - disable wifi on TT, connect to my own router, put it in bridge mode and off we go?

Community Star

Yes, but don't forget to disable any DHCP server on your mesh network as well.

Keith