Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Should Wifi Extenders extend wifi?

ANSWERED
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

We have just installed a power adapter wired to our router, and a wifi extender in another room which has bad wifi (due to wall thickness). This is connected via a cable to our youview box so the TV works.

I (stupidly) thought that the wifi extender would also extend our wifi into that room as well...

How do I get a laptop/phone to pick up the wifi from the extender, as when I move towards it with a device the signal actually gets weaker!

I tried to tak directly to the wifi extender (http://dlinkapFA70.local./) so I could see if I could make sure the SSID was correct, but I cannot connect to it.

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Community Star

What make/model of extender do you have?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

D-link (Talk Talk supplied) DHP-W610AV (part of supplied kit DHP-W611AV).

Highlighted
Community Star

Yes, it does extend WiFi, but often with any extender, the choice of WiFi channels can be crucial. However, just changing channels without the use of a WiFi analyser, can also be counterproductive.

I can help a lot with this if you want it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Any advice gratefully received - thanks Keith!

Firstly, how do I 'see' it, so I can then connect to it.

The Talk Talk provided instructions seem to imply it is seamless and your device will just connect to the strongest/nearest access point, but I can see in this case it is not doing that and my laptop remains tethered to our router some distance away.

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

First, it is worth seeing if your PC can detect it (do you know what its SSID should be)?

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith,

Many, many thanks for your help and very extensive document!

I did already have an analyser on my Androind phone (in fact the one you recommend - just had not used it for a while), and using that I can see what the issue is.

When moving from room to room it seems to take a couple of minutes for the devices to detect the strongest signal, for some reason I thought it would be just a few seconds.

So, yes, the extender is picked up by the phone and laptop, but only after a couple of minutes, and the signal is stronger than that from our router.

Really appreciate your help.

Highlighted
Community Star

What WiFi band are you connected to, are all SSIDs the same name & what channels are you using?

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

The SSIDs are the same name. The extender is using channel 13 (2.472GHz), the router channel 6 (2.437Ghz).

Highlighted
Community Star

You should only use 1, 6 or 11, not 13. Do you want to send me the screenshots from the analyser's 2.4G channel view & AP list from each of the two rooms, in case there is anything else that can be improved? I will need to know your SSID name. You can either reply in the thread using the Insert Photos button on the editor's toolbar, or you can PM them to me.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the screenshots.

First off move the extender to channel 1 or 11. Next, you need if at all possible to move the extender away from the TV (I know you said you used the wired port on the extender for the TV), but it should improve WiFi reception & hopefully improve roaming. If it is possible to get it about 2-3M away from the TV & maybe use a longer Ethernet cable back to the TV.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith,

How do I move the extender to channel 1 or 11? I cannot access it using the default AP setting given on the back of it.

Highlighted
Community Star

I'll have to find a user guide & get back to you on that.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have finally managed to connect with it, seemed a little intermittent.

I have changed the channel to 11.

Highlighted
Community Star

Although I won't be able to look that up until later today, if this set is anything like the current one, there is a security feature built into it that could be blocking your attempts.

Try to access it from a device connected to the router, not the extender. I think they may be set to block management access from a device currently connected to the extender.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Star

The only user guide I can get is for the D-Link firmware, not the TalkTalk one, but I think it likely that you will need to access it from a device connected to the router, not the extender.

Please can you let me know how things are since changing to channel 11?

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi gw3200

Apologies for the delay.

How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie