Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Signal Coverage

96 REPLIES 96
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I live in a long flat house with thick stone walls - Wifi only works at end near router.  Now I am working from home I need secure wifi at other end of house.  I am already on fibre .  Other companies advertise boosts to signal - does Talk Talk offer signal boosts or anyway of increasing coverage ? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ann

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Details updated 

Highlighted

Hi Ann

Thanks for updating your Community Profile 🙂

I have ordered you a different make and model of router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Th new router seems to have improved coverage in the centre

of the house, but it still does reach to the far end, where I really need it now I have to work from home.  Other providers advertise guaranteed WIFI in every room in the house, before I look at changing providers, I am hoping Talk Talk can do something to help me? 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

talktalk sell wifi extender kits at the talktalk store

Highlighted

Hi Ann

Apologies for the delay.

@KeithFrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance. Could you help please Keith?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ann Burley 

Debbie has asked me to help you. WiFi extenders can work, but they can also make things much worse, it all depends on the amount of congestion that there is in the 2.4GHz band to start with.

To enable me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Before starting to look in depth at the current situation, it is worth considering the best router location.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello Keith, thank you for your message.  Debbie sent me a new router.  There was no instruction book in the box as it said there should be, but looking at the back of the router it appears to be DG8041W - 2.T5 i don't know if this tells you the sort of router I have, there is no make or model number on the box.  this did improve coverage to the centre of the house but not to the far end.  I have now bought an extender from the store when I eventually managed to find that on the website and again that seems to have improved things slightly but it is still not good enough in every room.  I live in a long house that was converted from a barn and farm buildings, it is all on one level so no upstairs.  the outside walls are brick and flint - all internal walls, plasterboard on top of a timber frame.  The router is plugged into the main phone socket where the phone comes into the house which I understood was the best place.  I was told to connect it there when I first had talk talk  broadband installed many years ago.  I upgraded to fibre optic quite a few years ago when I add Talk Talk TV to the package.  As far as I can say from your message, there is nothing that should be interfering with the router I have lifted the new one away from all other things like the computer ( an apple mac) a small TV on my desk .  there are no mirrors anywhere near it.  I am a dance teacher and am currently having to run classes from home on zoom.  I need to know I have a strong reliable wifi signal in the house and ideally I need to be teaching at the opposite end of the house to where the office and the router are.  I had wondered whether investing in a second extender to put in the centre of the house might help in boosting the signal to the far end, but don't want to spend another £25 if its not going to make any noticeable difference.  There seems to be a time lag between me and the others on zoom when I play music which seems to be worse for some people but not others, I am not sure if that is being made worse by my signal strength or theirs.  Any help or advice you can offer would be really appreciated. 

Regards Ann Burley 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi Ann

I use Tp-Link WPA4220 Wifi powerline adapter kit AV600 Twin Pack. The wireless one is in my garage which is at the bottom of the garden about 20 meters from the router. The other plugs into the router with a network cable you can also plug a network cable in at the wireless end if needed. Without them I get about 8mb on the speed test in the garage with them I get 42mb with the speed test. Only thing to be aware of is they don't work very well plugged into mains extension sockets so they need to be plugged into mains wall sockets at either end.

Hope this helps

Mark

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Try running wifi analyzer app on your laptop,tablet or phone it will show you where the signal is weaker or stronger as you go around your house

you my need another unit or not depending on the layout of your home,it will also show it if anyone else is using the same wifi channel 

Highlighted
Community Star

You have to be careful with the TalkTalk WiFi Extender, good as it is, currently there is a bug in the firmware that means the channel bandwidth used is 40MHz in the 2.4GHz band. The means that it uses two channels, not 1, in a band where despite there being 11 channels (sometimes 13 but it does not help), you can only use channels 1, 6 & 11. So you need 1 for the router & two for the extender and that is not allowing for any other broadband routers in your local area. This should be fixed in the next firmware for the extender, so as you can select 20MHz channel bandwidth, but as yet there is no date for its release.

Certainly, I would advise against buying any more extenders as you will make things even worse. What I suggest is, with my help, we make sure that the router & extender are using the best channels.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Keith, I am trying to follow your notes and get the info to you.  I work on apple only , and have found the appropriate section in your guide.  I have downloaded the application and havfirst lot of required info on my screen.  BUT I am sorry to sound dim, but I have no idea how to take a screenshot.  I think I read you said not to take a photo .  Can you tell me how to do this.  One other question - I don't have a laptop, only an iPad and iPhone and my main machine is a Mac.  So at the moment the computer is at the end of the house where the router is.  In order to get you info from the other end of the house, I will need to close everything down and move it to the other end of the house - is this ok?  As if I can't run it on the iPad, I can't walk around the house to check signal strength in different places.  Once I hear back from you, I will hopefully be able to send you the info. Ann 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

No problem, I appreciate it may seem daunting at first. I have no knowledge myself of Apple products, but as NetSpot only runs on MacOs, it won't be as convenient as the iPhone or iPad.

I have just done a quick search & apparently, this is how to take a screenshot on MacOs:-

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201361

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ok think I have done the first 4 taken from the router end of the house , am attempting to attach to this message but it says this file type is not supported ? am I able to email to you? 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

No, you just use the Insert Photos or Insert Pictures button the toolbar. Please see one of my earlier posts that covers this.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have hopefully put the screenshots into pdf files to see if you can see them.  They may be too small to read.  I am missing one as I seem to have duplicated one and lost the other - so if this works and you can see these ok I will redo the missing one which is the Tabular Data.  If they are too small then I may have to do the two tables separately so they can be larger.  Please let me know if these are any use? 

thank you 

Ann 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Here is attempt to send 3 out of 4 screen shots Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 11.40.57.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-25 at 11.44.55.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-25 at 11.46.45.png

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

This is the missing one from earlier the tabular data I hope 

Ann Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 12.18.55.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

Your router is currently on channel 4. Whilst I am sure you wouldn't know this, for best performance & least interference, you should only ever use channels 1, 6 or 11. Looking at your screenshots, channel 1 would be best. My guide does cover how to change this.

Keith