Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Signal Coverage

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

From what I can see your Mac's MAC address (confusing eh) ends in a7:2e:5a, so it is connected to the extender's 5GHHz band, but for some reason only as an 802.11n device, which is slower than the normal 802.11ac mode. Do you know what WiFi adapter that you have in it? Maybe it is not an 802.11ac compatible device?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

sorry I don't know what a WIFI adapter is - any idea where I would look ? In the system set up - where I sent you the screen shots from, there is a heading 802.1X under that it seems to be blank 

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 15.49.00.png

I have both network connectors plugged in , to two different ethernet ports on router,  the first one has 3 green lights, the second one only two green lights top and bottom which seems to imply not connected to extender .  the extender shows 3 lights but nothing showing in netspot.  haven't changed any settings on it yet. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 15.53.54.png

Highlighted
Community Star

WiFi adapter - this is the WiFi card in your Mac.

I would agree that it sounds like it is not connected. Try again, but temporarily disconnect the network connector for the first extender. Then if it comes up OK, reconnect the original pair.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have tried that I unplugged the first one and just plugged in the second one and I even tried the connect button at the bottom but still only two lights.  I have plugged the first one back in now.  Any idea where I would find info on the WIFI card ? I will see if I can message the person who replied earlier . 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks for that , any idea where I can find info on what WIFI card I have? 

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@Ann Burley wrote:

Thanks for that , any idea where I can find info on what WIFI card I have? 

> Menu >  > About This Mac > System Report > Network > Wi-Fi > Then give the system a moment or two to compile the data

~R.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Does this help with the info you were asking for ?

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 16.50.27.png

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

Yes I think that will do, it is too small to read on my phone right now but shouldn't be fine on my pc. I will have a better look early this afternoon.

The extender that works in the middle of the house, does it work where you tried to plug in the other one?

Keith

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

That was so much easier to read on the PC, even tried a magnifying glass on the phone, but couldn't read it. It does seem like 802.11n is the best it can really do, at least it is 5GHz capable, that is something. How are you getting on?

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Well, I definitely can't get the second extender to work (so that is the one I bought, not the new one that Debbie arranged to send) .  I have tried the connect button on the bottom as it mentions in the booklet but I still only get two lights never the powerline light.  I tried disconnecting the first one as you suggested , but still no luck.  

With the new extender, if I keep it in the middle of the house I get the sort of signal i was sending you yesterday - around -55 / -61 2.4g level is green in netspot, the 5g is orange. I tried to move the extender a bit further away from the router, but altho there are green lights on the extender, netspot shows red bars and signal around -79 / 81 so nowhere near strong enough.  

So the original extender I paid for (only about a month old) no longer seems to work and the new one still doesn't solve the problem of improving signal at the far end of the house.  If I had a second extender that did work, is there a way the second one can link to the first one (in the middle of the house), rather than being linked to the router which is obviously too far away, so creating some sort of a chain?  If not then I don't see how this will ever work.  

I am struggling with Talk Talk altogether at the moment as the TV box is also now not working - and I am sure one of those extenders has packed up completely as well.   Aaarrrrgh!!!! 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Ann,

It isn't easy is it? When I suggested moving the working extender to the power outlet of the faulty extender, I just wanted to know if all of the lights are correct, to rule out any mains problem or incompatibility (different electrical ring circuits etc).

I am sure it says something about setting the extenders up, that you should disconnect any others beforehand.

So disconnect the working ones & then connect both units of the faulty set, close to the router, then do a factory reset on that extender by pressing in the reset button (can't remember where it is exactly without a unit in front of me, but it is in the booklet. Then see if they pair up OK & leave both there like that for at least 15 mins before moving the extender to the other side of your property. If all is good then try adding in the current good set.

I think you can use one network connector to two extenders, but like that the bottleneck is that there only one Ethernet cable connecting into the router for both units, thus halving the available bandwidth. I will have to try & find out how to do that, because I have never wanted to try it.

Probably best to create a new thread for the YouView, once done give me the address of it & I'll escalate that over to the OCEs. 

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have now tried to reset the faulty pair 3 times still to no avail - the Powerline Light is OFF on both the Connector and the extender.  However, while the extender was still plugged in right near the router - there was good signal showing on netspot - both levels were green and signal around -50.  I have now moved it half way down the house and the 2g signal is on -46 and the 5g on -62 and gone orange, so not great but similar to the other pair - so the lights say there is no connection - but netspot implies there is something.  Altho I have just waked down to the extender with the IPad and that says there is no internet .  

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have started a new thread for TV .  I went to Help with Your Service and then TalkTalk TV and started a new post.  I called it TalkTalkTV not working .  I tried to link your name to it, but am not sure how you do that . 

Highlighted
Community Star

OK I'll see if the OCEs can replace them for you, I'll send a request across now & then find your TV thread.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks for all your help 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ann

Apologies for the delay.

@KeithFrench is this for a replacement router? (apologies for the confusion)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

You have already sent a new router.  I think what @KeithFrench was asking for is a replacement for  the extender kit I bought but now isn't working at all.  However, I also need to know if the new set can be linked to the set you already sent me.  There is no point just having two sets connected to the router if neither of them will reach to the far end of the house.  Do you have a more powerful router ?  Or a means of boosting the signal so it will cover a larger distance?  

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ann Burley 

Do you know if your house has multiple electric ring mains for the power sockets at the far end where you are having these problems? If you look at your electric consumer unit, you may have just the one fuse or circuit breaker, if all power points are on the same ring circuit. If you have more than one fuse/circuit breaker for the power points that might indicate that the network connector could be on one ring main and the extender on a different one. I have never seen anything definite to prove if any powerline adapter (whoever supplied it) would work reliably in this manner & may account for the powerline light on yours going out.

This is total supposition on my part of course.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Yes, Ann is right, that in my opinion that the extenders could be at fault, unless her property has an unusual electricy=trical supply as per my previous post.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ann,

Could I just confirm, did you receive these adapters as part of the install or from the TalkTalk Store?

Thanks