Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow Broadband.

34 REPLIES 34
MickC1
Participant

First noticed broadband speed had dropped from circa 27 to 9 when I tried to watch Sky football on my desktop last Friday (18/10/19).

My 3 year old Dell i5 Windows 10 desktop is hard wired to the router which is immediately adjacent to the router. Router is within 1 metre of the Openreach socket.

I've tried all the usual things

1. Reboot router

2. Switched to wifi connection.

3. Reset adapters/checked for more up to date drivers

4. Disabled the internal wifi adapter and tried an external USB wifi adapter

5. Uninstalled TalkTalk F Secure (ie went back to windows anti virus)

6. Uninstalled the last two Windows 10 updates

7 Updated to F Secure Online Defender anti virus

All without any success.

Current Ookla speed test is d/l 8.4 and u/l 9.4.

This is somewhat similar to when I first joined TalkTalk. With Plusnet I was getting a d/l speed of circa 38. Swopped over routers and speed was 9. Talk Talk advised connection to router was 40.

Managed to overcome when I installed the F Secure and got d/l speed of 27 which I could live with.

Hope someone can help.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Please log onto your router & get me a copy of your DSL Line Stats.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

MickC1
Participant

Hope this is the right info.

Internet connectivity - IPv4

Connection Type - DHCP

VLAN id - 101

Addressing Type - DHCP

DNS - Obtain DNS automatically

DNS1 - 79.79.79.79

DNS2 - 79.79.79.80

Dashboard says d/l 40 & u/l  9.7. Recent speed test was 9.4 & 9.1.

MickC1
Participant

xDSI data

D/L Actual Rate 40000; Max Rate 42234, Noise Margin dB 7.4; Attenuation dB 21.1 & Power dBm 14.2.

The corresponding U/L figures are 9723, 9723, 6.3, 0.00, 7.4.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Your router is sync'd right at top speed. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Community Team

Hi MickC1,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats look ok. Please can you switch the router off for a full 30 minutes and then run another wired speed test so we can see how the throughput speed compares following this.

Thanks

MickC1
Participant

Hi Michelle,

Switched router off for 30 minutes plus.

Ran TalkTalk speed test - result D/L 10.6; U/L 9.3

Community Team

Hi MickC1,

Thanks. Could I just confirm, was this a wired speed test?

Thanks

MickC1
Participant

Yes.

Although the router is immediately next to my desktop I use a wired connection.

MickC1
Participant

As a check.

Did another speed check via wired connection and results are D/L 10.9 & U/L 9.3.

Immediately did a speed check via wifi connection and figures were 11.1 and 9.2.

Not much different.

Community Team

Hi MickC1,

Thanks for confirming this. I've re-checked the connection stats again and the line test is still clear and the sync speed looks ok. Do you have a different device that you could run another speed test on for comparison?

Thanks

MickC1
Participant

Borrowed a laptop and ran the talktalk speed test with laptop wired to the router - D/L 37.6; U/L 9.1.

At the same time the same test with my desktop, result was D/L 11.8; U/L 9.3

Community Team

Hi MickC1,

Thanks for testing this. @KeithFrench, would you be able to offer any advice in regards to the slow desktop speeds?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

Please supply details about this pc, plus is it doing anything in the background such as updates, cloud storage etc?

Keith

MickC1
Participant

Computer is a circa 3 year old Dell Inspiron Desktop

Intel Core i5-6400 @ 2.7Ghz

x64 based processor

RAM 8Gb c50% used

HDD 1Tb c 10% used

Nividia GT730 display adapter

Qualcomm wifi adapter

Realtex ethernet adapter

Currently using Windows Firewall and AVG Free anti-virus

Dont use any cloud. Backup to an external HDD

Task Manager currently

4 APPS - firefox, device manager, windows explorer, task manager. Only figure of note is firefox using 650 to 750Mb

CPU ticking along at c5% but will blip up to c30% due to AVG,etc.

Performance of Ethernet shows no send or receive except for occasional blip of S(end) 8 to 16kbps and R(eceive) 8 to 64kbps

72 Background Processes but all figures are minimal.

Other background. When I first moved to TalkTalk in October 2018 my speed with Plusnet c38 dropped to 9 when I swoped over routers. I eventually got a speed of 27 when I installed the F Secure anti-virus which I've been happy to live with - hence I've tried windows anti-virus plus AVG and the updated F Secure - all without any change.

Always use a wired connection to the Desktop which is adjacent to the router and router is within 1 metre of the fibre socket.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Thanks, is the Ethernet connection running a minimum of 100M Full Duplex?

Keith

MickC1
Participant

Checked the Realtek adapter and it was set to "auto navigation" - changed to 100Mbps full duplex - no change to d/l speed

KeithFrench
Community Star

I expected it to be set to Auto-Negotiation, but that can sometimes fail, which is why I asked not what it was set to, but I asked you to confirm what it was actually running.

You can get some of this from "Network & Internet settings in Windows 10 followed by "View your network properties", but one of the few ways to be certain about Duplex is to run this PowerShell cmdlet:-

Get-NetAdapter | ft Name, Status, Linkspeed, macaddress, fullduplex

Keith

MickC1
Participant

In Windows 10 Powershell - Get NetAdapter

Name: Ethernet

InterfaceDescription: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

ifIndex: 15

MacAddress: F4-86-39-93-C1-CE

LinkSpeed: 100Mbps

Does this help?

KeithFrench
Community Star

You missed off the all important fullduplex on the end of the cmdlet.

Keith