Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow Faster Fibre

ANSWERED
33 REPLIES 33
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

For some time now I've been getting "slow" speeds on my faster fibre. Around 20-21 Mbps download and 10 upload. As I check fairly regularly, I'm embarrassed to say it's since 9th March it significantly dropped from a reliable 37 Mbps. 

This isn't much faster than the standard broadband it replaced and way below the average 38 Mbps offered and obviously achievable at my end.

From all other points of view it's working ok, no breaks etc.

I've run the TT self test and it appeared happy. Can't see how it can have deduced that? Have reloaded router.

I'll take responsibility for not raising it earlier, but would appreciate it if TT could look at it from their end.

Cliddy
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi des09

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any fault and your line is in sync at 22.4mb

Is your router currently connected at the test socket? I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Many thanks for getting back.

To answer your points.

You say it's syncing at 22.4, which reflects the average speed I'm seeing.

Are you implying that's an ok speed?

The router isn't connected to the test socket (that's inside the BT box I believe?) It's connected to the outside in normal way (left hand slot) and hasn't been touched since installation.

So regarding the router, yes I'll obviously take any possible solution.

Regards Dave

Cliddy
Highlighted

Hi des09,

Thanks for confirming. If the master socket does have a test socket then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for 48hrs first before we send the replacement router to see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed?

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi, thanks for getting back.

Just to remind you that the original reason for raising this fault, was because I belatedly realised that I have been getting slow speeds.

I was not overly concerned as it was not causing any problems.

However as I had upgraded to fibre on the last contract renewal I am not getting any appreciable increase in speed compared to my old connection.

But today it was down entirely for the first time.

Have taken your advice and connected to the test socket and will leave it in place until you say otherwise.

Connection is back up and same speed 20.3 Mbps.

Regards Dave

Cliddy
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

No improvement to date. Generally around 20Mbps, often lower than 2Mbps.

Could you just also confirm what my anticipated average speed should be please?

Regards

Dave

Cliddy
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Any progress please?

Cliddy
Highlighted

Hi des09,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can discuss the issue further

Thanks
Chris

Highlighted

[content removed - posted in error]

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Ok, have sent you a PM.  At the time of sending you the PM yesterday, I recorded a speed of 0.68 Mbps and before sending this today 11.8 Mbps.

Although I accept full responsibility for not reporting it earlier, these speeds have been the same since late February. I was going to attach a screenshot of speed test reporting. But it won't accept the file type.

Regards Dave

Cliddy
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi, 

It's over two weeks now since I raised it on here, aside from the fact it's been on-going since February and no constructive improvement has been made.

I'm no expert but the near consistently now to a top speed of 20mbps implies to me there is some sort of cap set on it.

Since my upgrade to fibre last year until February of this year I was reliably getting 38mbps.

Prior to my upgrade I was getting a reliable 16mbps on regular BB.

So I suggest that if the fault can't be fixed, you "unupgrade" me, refund my charges and I will happily continue on my old service. Until my contract end.

Cliddy
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

There's been no progress or communication. Therefore please set it motion my request below.

Cliddy
Highlighted
Community Star

Repeat posting moves your topic to the back of the queue each time. Sit tight and the support team will respond. 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Ok, thanks I accept that. But as you will see from above I've had 3 different OCEs responding, but  no-one has actually progressed anything.

I'm not sure if that's worse than no response at all.

Cliddy
Highlighted
Community Star

I understand your frustration. Give them a chance, if anyone can get this sorted then the OCE will do their best to help.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Just received an email from TT apologizing for delay in fixing this etc.

Suggests I go via chat line.

But on the summary page I get on my email app it refers to an Amazon voucher. As much as I'd probably feel I justify one, within the email it makes no reference at all to it.

Is it a scam ?

Cliddy
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

It's all happening here!

Before contacting Chat, I thought I'd run the TT automated service check again.

This time it's decided there is a fault and is sending a new router.

This was suggested back on the 29th June but never followed up.

Could someone please thank the computer.

Cliddy
Highlighted

Hi des09,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Sorry for not getting back sooner but I thought it better to let the  new router bed in.

To sum up,  the best speed I've received for the last few months is 20 Mbps, before that on regular broadband I was getting an excellent 16Mbps.

On first loading the new router I was still getting 20 Mbps and a regular dropping to way below that.

After leaving it a few days that is still the position.

Basically even allowing for the ≤4 Mbps "speed increase", I was better off before the upgrade to fibre.

I still repeat my suggestion from a couple of weeks ago, that I feel some type of cap has been placed on it (hopefully by mistake!) because even though it's up and down, it never goes above 20Mbps.

Hope you can help, other than putting me back on non fibre or I'll accept a capped fibre at non fibre cost!!!

Cliddy
Highlighted

Hi des09,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris