Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow Fibre Broadband Speed

17 REPLIES
Highlighted
lcdhome
Participant

Since going live with the Talk Talk fibre broad band service approximately 2 weeks ago I have to report that my broadband speeds are appallingly slow and have not increased in speed at all as the system has supposedly settled in.

Typical download speeds are no higher than 4.5Mbps and I was geting a consistent 5.5Mbps download speed with my previous ISP (PlusNet) on standard broadband as opposed to Talk Talk fibre.

For reference i have a  BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4 (built in filter etc.) installed in my home which was previously giving me the higher speeds with my former ISP.

The router is plugged directly in to this master socket along with one telephone - no other internal wiring in my premises.

Can someone please action a response on this matter as I feel there is something clearly wrong with the external Open Reach / Talk Talk infrastructure.

Thanks in anticipation.

Lcdhome

Community Team

Hi lcdhome,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however the sync speed is lower than the predicted speed range for the line.

Is the voice service ok? Are you experiencing any noise on the line? Do you have an alternative router that you can test with?

Thanks

lcdhome
Participant

Thank you for your reply.

This is the second router from Talk Talk. 

I was previously using a D-Link DSL-3782 for about 1 week (but couldn't get on to my works VPN).

During this time the internet speed was about the same as it is now, hence I would suggest this eliminates the router.

I've just tested the landline telephone and there is some crackling / noise on the line - interestingly its a very wet day today in the north west.

Hope this helps you to identify the problem.

Besrt regards,

Lcdhome

Community Team

Hi lcdhome,

Thanks for confirming this. Noise on the line can affect the broadband connection so we'll need to look into this first.

Does your master socket have a test socket? Is the noise/crackle present at the test/master socket with 2 different handsets and with all other equipment removed from the line?

Once we've confirmed this then we can pass the voice fault over for investigation.

Thanks

lcdhome
Participant

Hi Michelle,

Tested the line as per your instructions but prior to testing the noise had disappeared on the line and is still not present.

There would appear to be an intermittent fault on the line - whether its this that is causing the low broadband speeds or something else remains to be seen.

I must stress that my speeds were higher with my non-fibre previous ISP than with Talk Talk fibre broadband.

regards,

Lcdhome

Community Team

Hi lcdhome,

Just to confirm, what speeds were you previously receiving prior to fibre? Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does have a test socket then can you confirm if the router is connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

lcdhome
Participant

Hi Michelle,

The router is now plugged in to the master test socket via the filter as supplied by yourselves.

One landline phone is also plugged into this master test socket via the same filter.

My previous speeds were normally in excess of 5.5Mbs on standard broadband using this same master socket - since "upgrading" to fibre via Talk Talk my speeds have actualy decreased.

Hopefully this clarifies the situation.

Best regards,

Lcdhome.

Community Team

Hi lcdhome,

Thanks for the additional information. Now that the router is connected to the test socket DLM may increase the sync speed further. Could you bump your thread (request an update) in 24hrs and we can re-check the connection stats to see how they compare.

Thanks

lcdhome
Participant

Hi Michelle,

Must be about time for an update now.

Speeds still very slow at my end

Best regards,

Lcdhome

Community Team

Hi lcdhome

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed has started to increase from 5.6 to 6mb.

Please can you leave the router connected at the test socket and switched on over the weekend, we can then check the connection stats again on Monday to see if DLM has increased the speed any further.

Thanks

Debbie

lcdhome
Participant

Hi Debbie,

At approx. 6.15am this morning i did a speed check and was still getting a download speed of just 4.64 Mbps.

This was showing absolutely no sign of improvement.

I hear what you're saying and will comply with your instructions, however the only difference now as opposed to previous is that I am directly connected to the master test socket via your filter and with 1 telephone plugged in.

Previously I was connected straight into the filtered master socket front faceplate with 1 telehone plugged into this master socket faceplate - there is no other telephone extension wiring connected within my property.

I will be amazed if the speeds rise as the only difference in reality now as opposed to previously is the use of the Open Reach filtered master socket faceplate - and this was working fine with my previous ISP.

For reference i've just done a speed test at 11:50am this morning and have a download speed of 2.87 Mbps and an upload speed of 0.88Mbps

Tested via Broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk

No one else was active via internet etc. within the household for the duration of this test.

Best regards,

Lcdhome

Best regards,

Lcdhome

Community Team

Good Morning lcdhome

I've completed a further line test and can see that the sync speed has remained at 6mb.

The predicted speed range for your line is showing between 13 and 7.1mb with a minimum guaranteed speed of 5.2mb. We would be unable to raise this as a fault to BT Openreach.

Thanks

Debbie

lcdhome
Participant

Good morning Debbie,

Our results do not match with yours, these are the results obtained over a 10 minute period just after 9.00am on Mondat 16th Aril 2018.

Download 3.89   Upload 0.73

Download 4.67   Upload 2.68

Download 5.07   Upload 1.04

Download 4.6     Upload 5.19

Download 2.87   Upload 0.88

Download 3.37   Upload 1.34 

All results obtained with Broadband Speedchecker on a single PC and all other wifi / ethernet connections either off or disconnected.

Clearly these test speeds are not as per the Talk Talk contract and are still slower than my previous ISP service which was not fibre.

Please investigate further.

Best regards,

Lcdhome

Community Team

Hi lcdhome

The throughput speeds (speed tests) will be slightly less than the sync speed.

Are you leaving a 5 minute gap in between running speed tests?

Please can you power down your router for 30 minutes (please only do this once) and then run a wired speed test using the TalkTalk speed tester so we can see the results?

Thanks

Debbie

lcdhome
Participant

Hi Debbie,

Carried out the tests as per your instructions, presumably you can see the results but for reference the download speeds seemed pretty consistent at between 5.7 and 5.8 Mbps which is a slight improvement since the 30 minute shutdown of the router.

Only time will tell if these results get better or worse.

Ive also carried out the same tests using other speeed checkers and all appear to be giving about the same results as the Talk Talk checker

I will continue to periodically monitor this, as these figures are only ever so slightly above the absolute minimum guaranteed speed as detailed in the contract.

To be honest if my internet connection stays at these speeds then all can say is that i've wasted my money upgrading to Talk Talk fibre broadband as these speeds were previously achievable via my old ISP on a standard broadband connection.

Thank you for your help and continued support as its never very pleasant being at the sharp end of disasisfied customers complaints through no fault of your own.

Best regards,

Lcdhome

Community Team

Hi lcdhome

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you continue to monitor the connection/speed over the next 48hrs and let us know how you get on.

In regards to the fibre speeds, when you signed up for fibre were you provided with the predicted speed range for your line?

Thanks

Debbie

lcdhome
Participant

Hi Debbie,

Yes I'll continue to monitor the line as per your suggestion.

The package I bought was Faster Fibre on a 18 month contract.

To quote, "You can look forward to estimated download speed between 7.1Mbps and 13.1Mbps with a minimum guaranteed speed of 5.2Mbps"

Best regards,

Lcdhome

Community Team

Hi lcdhome

Thanks for your reply.

That's the same speed range that I can also see for your line. Please let us know how you get on (following monitoring the speed)

Debbie