Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow broadband in evenings since changing to fibre 35

25 REPLIES 25
RN2021
Sightseer

We were changed to fibre35 at the beginning of April. We were also sent a talktalk hub router. We are 2km from the cabinet. Most days the download speed is about 18Mbps ( we were getting about 13 on adsl). But most evenings the speed drops to below 1 ie unusable. I didn't check the evening speed on adsl as it was never an issue. An open reach engineer has been out and updated the master socket and some connectors, no line fault shows up on testing. I have switched off the router on 4 occasions and 3 times the speed has improved but I am not sure that the router should need to be switched off every evening. No other equipment has changed. I logged onto the router tonight and the dashboard says the current download speed to the router is 25 but the measured download speed on the talktalk speed checker is 1. Does anyone know if the speed on the router dashboard is correct. If it is why should the router slow down every evening?

Divsec
Community Star

Hi @RN2021 are you experiencing this issue wired or WiFi or both? 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
RN2021
Sightseer
Hi. Mostly WiFi but when I have checked the speed wired it is the same.
OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed is varying.  Just to confirm, which router were you using prior to the hub? Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

RN2021
Sightseer

Hi

I can't remember  the make of the previous router. It was supplied by talktalk about 10 years ago. The voice line seems fine with no noise. The current router is Huawei DG8041W2T5

We returned the previous router to talktalk for recycling 

OCE_Michelle

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. Does your main socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket for 48hrs so we can re-check to see if the sync speed remains consistent in this set up please?

Thanks

RN2021
Sightseer

I have plugged the microfilter router and phone into the test socket

OCE_Michelle

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to post back here tomorrow afternoon and we can re-check your connection stats to see if the speed has started to stabilise please?

Thanks

RN2021
Sightseer

Yes thank you for your help

RN2021
Sightseer

Hi

The download speed dropped again last evening. The upload speed is consistently about 1. However when I log onto the router(192.168.1.1) the download speed was 25 yesterday 27 just after I connected the router to the test socket and then 26 the whole evening and 26 this morning. The download speeds (measured on my tablet via wifi, sitting about 1 m in front of the router) were 19 at 740pm, 13 at 810pm, 4.6 at 9pm, 0.1 at 930pm. I did a wired test at 930 which was also 0.1. At 9 this morning the speed was 23 and is the same now.

The openreach engineer who was here last week thinks the problem is due to us being over 2 km from the cabinet and we would be better on adsl, which we would be happy with as the download speeds were ok on adsl(hardly ever checked them as there wasnt a problem). However I am concerned that logging onto the router gives a very different download speed to the talktalk speed checker via the internet. Which would suggest that the router is the cause of the slow download speed in the evening. I dont know whether the speed measured on the router login is in real time or the best achieved over a period of time. I noticed that the talktalk service centre measures the download speed at midnight and is always about 24

OCE_Chris

Hi RN2021,

Thanks for the information

Line test is clear and router is currently in sync at 26.2Mbps, are you experiencing any specific problems with your service, slow webpages or buffering when streaming?

Chris

RN2021
Sightseer

Not at this point in time but when the speed drops below about 5Mbps (every evening) we getting buffering with streaming and if it drops below 1Mbps webpages wont load. so we have problems almost every evening

OCE_Chris

Does the speed always drop in the evening, even over the weekend? 

Chris

RN2021
Sightseer

Hi

I think the speed drops more at the weekends There have been 6 evenings since we were changed on to fibre that the speed has only dropped to 9 so it was still usable. Every other evening it the speed drops to less than 5 then less than 1.

OCE_Chris

You've said it's the same on wired devices, are the wired devices connected directly to your router by Ethernet cable or are you using powerline adapters?

Chris

RN2021
Sightseer

I connect the PC to the router with an ethernet cable

OCE_Chris

OK thanks. Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest

Chris

RN2021
Sightseer

Hi

The download speed before I switched the router off was 23.3. After switching the router back on it is 25.4

I last switched the router off on sunday afternoon (after the speed had been 3 all day which is the only day it has been slow all day). Sunday evening the internet was usable - I didnt measure the speed but it would have been more than 5

OCE_Michelle

Morning,

If the speed increases immediately after the router has been switched off/rebooted then this does suggest a possible router issue. Can I just confirm have you recently tested with a different router?

Thanks