Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow broadband speed due to noisy line

22 REPLIES 22
CaptJohn
Team Player

My broadband speed has recently (within the last month) slowed down from about 30 Mbps to 9Mbps. Having contacted the TalkTalk technical department they keep wanting to send me a new router and/or wait 48 hours. None of this will work due to the reason that I have had this problem before and I know the solution.

More than once in the past my broadband speed has decreased due to noise on the line. Accordingly the broadband speed decreases automatically in order to work through the noise. When the line is cleared of noise the broadband speed does not automatically revert to the optimum speed as this has to be done manually.

I have this information on good authority from a BT Openreach engineer.

The TalkTalk technical department is not interested in my comments and will take no notice of what I say. They think that a new router is the solution. I suppose it's cheaper than calling in BT Openreach to fix the problem but it just doesn't work. Waiting 48 hours and monitoring the speed doesn't work either as nothinh changes.

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Just to confirm, is the noise still present at the moment or is the line now clear?

Thanks

CaptJohn
Team Player

I answered your question in Outlook so I will repeat it here as well.

There is no line noise now. There had been some crackling which had come from the BT Master box but the contacts were cleaned and now the line is clear. However the speed is still 9 Mbps and needs to be reset.

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn

Thanks for your reply.

If the line is now clear then we can focus on the broadband connection.

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting to see if DLM now starts to change the profile and increase the speed?

Thanks

Debbie

CaptJohn
Team Player

DSL filter now plugged into test socket (so that I can still use the landline).

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn

Thank you. Please can you post back on this thread on Wednesday and we can check the connection stats again.

Debbie

CaptJohn
Team Player

The download speed is 9.3 Mbps and upload 6.7 Mbps.

No change then!

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn

Apologies for this.

I've checked and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased. Is the landline still clear when making calls?

I can then raise the slow sync speed fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

CaptJohn
Team Player

The landline is still clear when making calls. I'm still plugged in to the test socket. The router has been on continuously.

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn

Thanks for your reply.

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn,

I've replied to your PM

Thanks
Chris

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn,,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied requesting a bit more information 

Chris

CaptJohn
Team Player

Please see my PM.

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn,

Thanks for the PM. I've passed on your availability to our network team, we'll let you know when we receive confirmation of the date and time slot booked.

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn,

Our network team have booked the engineer visit for 29/01/2019 AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Chris

CaptJohn
Team Player

Hello Michelle

OCE_Chris has been dealing with this case for sometime now and has declared that there is a potential fault. BT Openreach has been called in to investigate and will be in attendance from 0800 to 1300 today.

The fact is that, fault or not, the broadband speed has dropped from a consistent 30 Mbps to a consistent 9 Mbps.

As I have explained many times now the likely cause of this is (or was) noise on the line which may be audible or inaudible. This causes the line speed to decrease to compensate and once the noise has cleared the line speed has to be reset to its optimum rate. This was explained to me by a BT Openreach engineer and TalkTalk seems not to be aware of this process.

CaptJohn
Team Player

Communication between myself and the OCE team seems to have ground to a halt.

Have all possibilities to resolve my problem been exhausted?

My download speed is now 11 Mbps and upload 6.5 Mbps.

Is it possible to get my speed back up to the level that it was a few weeks ago which was around 30 Mbps?

Is it possible to find out the outcome of the investigations of the BT Openreach engineer yesterday?

Did he actually appear?

Community Team

Hi CaptJohn,

Thanks for the PM, sync speed is still 30Mbps so can you switch your router off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest - please let us know how you get on

Chris

CaptJohn
Team Player

Hi Chris

TalkTalk email has been down since last night but it's now up and running.

I've done as you requested - turned router off, waited at least 30 minutes and switched it back on again.

Checked the speed and now it's:

Download - 26.7 Mbps

Upload - 6.4 Mbps

So a vast improvement on before. It took quite some time to get back to this speed but now I know to contact "Community" and not the technical Chat line.

Can you tell me why the speed reduced to 10 Mbps and why it does this every so often?