Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow broadband speed

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

My broadband service is monitored through a SamKnows White Box. I see that up to 21Nov I was getting around 30Mbit download speed (I'm on a faster fibre service) which is normal. After 21 Nov, the speed has dropped to 10Mbit download.

I've done the usual things - check the connection, rebooted the router but to no avail.

I had a chat session with customer service this morning - they reset & rebooted the router (which was inconvenient, as it cleared the SSID that I'd set up on the router, so had to re-configure this afterwards). Was told to leave it for 30 mins or so to settle down - checking again shows it is still running at 10 Mbits.

I have a new WiFi hub

The Xdsi line status is UP, & Link status is UP BUT

Actual Rate KBPS Download is only 10000  & 8496 up

Maximum Rate down is 43013 & 8496 up

So - it looks like the base link is running at 40Mbit, but you are only providing a 10 Mbit service.

Speedtests from the white box (hard wired to the router) or from my phone or laptop (on WiFi) are giving less than 10Mbit download speed.

I've had 3 attempts to talk to customer service using online chat - sadlly my laptop has dropped wifi a couple of times so the sessions were lost & I had to start explaining the issue over again.

WHAT IS GOING ON???

I have to go out now, so am unable to repeat the pain of trying a chat session with customer service.  I DON'T want my router to be reset again - putting the SSID back to the delivery default will break connectivity for all my WiFi connected devices (when TT supplied a new router, I changed the SSID and WiFi password to match the old router that was being taken out so that I didn't have to reconfigure a pile of devices)

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line?

Have you recently made any changes to the equipment set up? Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi

Just looked back at advice from when this has happened in the past - so switched off router for 30 mins & now powered back up - still running at 10 Mbit/sec.  #Fail

Logging into the Router I see that the line is up, Actual rate is 10 Mbit/sec, Maximum rate is 43Mbit/sec.

It looks like YOUR NETWORK is configured to drop my line speed to 10Mbit/sec

Voice is fine with no crackles

I'm paying for a 30+ Mbit fibre service.  this is not good enough.

Highlighted

Hi Dave_R

If you have tested with a different router at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit as the line tests are not detecting any faults but the speed is low.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

the underlying line is running at 40Mbit/sec so it is not going to be the line that is causing a problem.   I suggest you check the router at your end - for some reason it has decided to drop the data rate down to 10Mbit/sec

I have also tried swapping out the router for my old one - same result - line is at 36Mbit but speed is a solid 10Mbit

BTW my account is supposed to have a MINIMUM guaranteed speed of 22Mbit.  You've not been delivering this for the last 2 weeks now.

Thanks

Dave R.

Highlighted

Hi Dave,

Your router is syncing at 10Mbps because BT's DLM system dropped your line profile from 40Mbps to 10Mbps on the 21st November. DLM moves to a slower profile if there are to many disconnections and/or errors on the faster profile

Switching your router off for 30 minutes wont help as the line profile is limiting your speed

Is your router currently connected to your test socket (if you have one)?

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris

All sounds sensible as an explanation.

No - not connected to test socket, but I can do that right now..... give it 5 mins & I'll reconnect via test socket.

Dave  R

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

OK- router now connected via test socket.

Status on router now showing.....

Line 1 Downstream /Upstream

Actual Rate [Kbps]10000 / 8496

Maximum Rate [Kbps]42797 / 8496

Noise Margin [dB]25.40 / 6.10

Attenuation [dB]23.60 / 0.00

Power [dBm]11.90 / 4.00

Highlighted

Hi Dave,

Thank you. Is it possible to keep the router at the test socket for at least 24hrs as it can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to make changes to the speed if the connection remains stable?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Sure thing - will do.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

So, 48 hours after swapping connection to the test port on the openreach box & the line is still running at 40Mbit but the data rate is STILL throttled back to 10Mbit. That is LESS THAN 1 THIRD of the "superfast" rate I'm paying for.  Bearing in mind the carrier is up at 40Mbit there is no reason for my service to be brought down to 10Mbit.  #NotHappy #NotImpressed

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

So tonight switched off the router for 40 mins.... finally back up to 30Mbit/sec

Disappointed that it has taken so long to.fix.

Highlighted

Hi Dave_R

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased.

Please can you continue to monitor the connection and let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

Thanks -  yes. I have a SamKnows whitebox monitoring my line (which is how I spotted the speed had dropped in the first place!)

Highlighted

Hi  Dave_R

Thank you. If it does drop again then please let us know.

Debbie