would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow broadband speeds below 1mbps

13 REPLIES 13
Scottman38
First Timer

Good Morning

I have been having issues with my broadband for the past few weeks now, regularly receiving less than 1mbps download speed. I am thinking it is possibly an issue with my router as sometimes (not always) if I switch it on and off again the problem will be resolved and I will receive more typical internet speeds, however this is only temporary as a few hours later it will slow down again.

Any help or advise will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

James

Internet speed.PNG

Community Team

Hi James

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your TalkTalk telephone number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Scottman38
First Timer

Hi Debbie

I can confirm this has been done.

Many Thanks

Community Team

Hi James

Thanks for updating your Community Profile 🙂

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is showing in sync at 66.7mb.

Just to confirm, does the speed always increase following a power down of the router? What does the speed increase to?

Thanks

Debbie

Scottman38
First Timer

Thanks for your response.

In the past few weeks when I restarted the router it would increase the speed to around 30-40 mbps download speed. This would generally last for around 24 hours before I'd have to restart it again.

However as of yesterday and so far today, restarting the router is not increasing the speed. I have just run another speed test, with my laptop plugged into the router via a ethernet cable, and I am currently getting 2.3 mbps download.

Kind Regards

Community Team

Hi James

Ok, please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test using the TT speed tester so we can see the results?

Thanks

Debbie

Scottman38
First Timer

No problem. I have powered down the router for over half an hour and ran the test. See image attached. Results were 2.7 mbps download and 0.3 mbps upload. Many ThanksCapture9.PNG

Community Team

Hi James

Do you have a different device that you can run a speed test on?

Was the last speed test a wired speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Scottman38
First Timer

Hi Debbie

I have run the test on my laptop, tablet and mobile phone and receive similar results. The last test was a wired test on my laptop however I have tried both wired and wireless and results are the same.

Please see the attached screenshot of a service test of my line on your website and advise what this means and what I should expect to happen.

Many Thanks

Capture.PNG

Community Team

Hi James

Thanks for your reply.

Can I just check if your landline service is working ok when making calls? (do you have a dialtone)

Debbie

Scottman38
First Timer

Unfortunately I do not have a landline phone so I am unable to check.

Kind Regards

Community Team

Hi James

There is currently an issue raised at your exchange affecting voice and BB, I just wanted to check if you are experiencing this fault.

Please can you post back on this thread later this afternoon and we can check for further updates on this.

Thanks

Debbie

Scottman38
First Timer

Hi Debbie

If an issue has been raised can I ask what action has been taken to rectify this issue? Does this mean an engineer will be sent to look at the line, or will I be sent a new router etc?

I am currently working from home and the lack of internet is making life extremely difficult so ideally I need this fixed as soon as possible.

Many Thanks

James

Community Team

Hi James

Apologies for this.

We have received the below update:

Work is currently underway to repair a damaged telegraph pole and restore services.