Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow ethernet via TT router

6 REPLIES 6
Participant

Dear TT Community,

I recently bought a TP-Link gigabit ethernet switch to manage the network I have at home. One of the things I connect is a Raspberry Pi that I use as a NAS server.

When I connect the RPi directly to the switch I can get a 30mb/s read & write speed to HDDs. However, when I connect the NAS drives via the TT router, I get 9mb/s.

I have the HG633 router.

Is there anything obvious that might be throttling the connection? I noticed the TT router only has 100mb ethernet ports so perhaps this is the reason?

Thanks,

iW0ker

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

The HG633 router does have 100mb ports so there will be a slightly lower transfer speed but the overall communication speeds should not be that noticeable.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Participant
Thanks for coming back. Generally, browsing the internet & streaming etc works really well. The issue is that on transferring large files to the NAS (100gb+) it's significantly longer when the speed is reduced.
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi iW0ker,

Thanks for the update. @KeithFrench - would you be able to offer any advice?

Thanks

Community Star

Hi @iW0ker 

What type of Ethernet cabling are you using between the Pi & this switch, Cat 5, 5e or 6? What speed & duplex is the Pi's network adapter actually running at (not necessarily the same as what it is capable of)?

If I understand this correctly, the Pi is controlling multiple HDDs, are mechanical HDDs, SSDs & how do they connect to the Pi, SATA2, 3 etc?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Participant
Hi Keith,

Thanks for coming back.

The rPi runs 1 x 500GB WD SSD via USB 3.0, and everything is connected via CAT 5e cables.
On reflection, I think it's the limit of 100mb connections via the TT router.

I assume there is no way to replace this with a GB router (without buying a new one)?

Community Star

Try speaking to the loyalty team on 0345 172 0046

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?