Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow fibre connection

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Over the past few days my fibre connection is running at around half its usual speed. I can usually expect around 22Mbps however I am only achieving ~11Mbps currently. I have done a 30 minute power off to no avail. I have posted line stats below. Can one of the OCEs have a look at this please? Many thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi frh187,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed is varying. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Ok, my HG633 Talktalk router is now plugged directly to my test socket with the filter originally provided. Updated line stats from the router admin screen attached. Still not achieving my usual sync speed. I've also verified there is no obvious noise on my landline.

Highlighted

Hi frh187,

Thank you. It can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to start making changes to the sync speed if the connection remains stable. Would it be possible to keep the router connected at the test socket for 48hrs to see if the sync speed increases? If their is no change then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Yes, I’ll leave it connected and post back here to let you know in 48 hours. 

Highlighted

Hi

We will be here when you need us (except for the weekend) 🙂

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Popular Poster
I left my router plugged in to the test socket for 24 hours with no improvement. I then realised that with the faceplate removed from the master socket my internal landline extension wiring is disconnected meaning that my home telephone does not work. I live in an area with no mobile reception so it is not feasible to leave it set up this way for a further 24 hours and be without telephone service. The master socket is a relatively recently installed (2 years) NTE5 mark 4 with a filtered faceplate which previously connected reliably at 22Mbps so I do not think this is likely to be the cause of the slow sync speed. I also don’t think the issue is related to the router: I have tried connecting both with the TalkTalk-provided HG633 super router and with an Apple router connected via an Openreach Huawei HG612 fibre modem and get only just over half my usual sync speed either way. Can you advise further? Many thanks.
Highlighted

Hi frh187

Thanks for your reply.

I would suggest testing with a replacement router first as the next step following this will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to the property.

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi,
Please go ahead and send out the replacement router - I'll test with that. I'm assuming that if an Openreach visit is necessary the cost of this would be covered by TalkTalk?
Thanks.
Highlighted

Hi frh187

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

In regards to possible engineer charges, this help page provides further information Engineer charges

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi,
The new router has now been connected for 4 days with no improvement in my sync speed - still only getting 11-12 meg when I previously got a steady 22Mbps. Is the next step still an Openreach engineer visit?
Many thanks.
Highlighted

Hi

All tests are clear and the sync speed is within the estimated range although at the lower end of the range.

We can progress towards an Openreach engineer but I cannot guarantee they will not declare that the service is working as expected.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

We have had the new TalkTalk router working for about a week now and the connection speed has not improved. We are mostly getting around 11Mb/sec but sometimes less - down to 7 and even 4Mb/sec. This is disappointing, being as we were regularly getting about 22Mb/sec for the past year. The connection speed appeared to drop immediately after the electrical storms in Scotland in the first half of August and has not gone back up.

Thanks for all your help so far, but I would like you to arrange for an Openreach engineer to check the line please, to see if it can be improved.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi frh187

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi frh187

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 07/09 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

Thanks very much for your help.

I'll be back in touch following their visit.

Kind regards,

frh187

Highlighted