would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow fibre speed after fixing a line fault

3 REPLIES 3
sobieski
First Timer

Hi Team,

I have been happily using my fibre broadband for a couple of years, enjoying the speeds of around 37Mbps. On Monday last week (28 January) my internet disconnected suddenly. I have later checked my phone line to discover I had lost it, too. The phone would be constantly off and the broadband would sometimes come back at a very slow speed (around 2Mbps). After rather long and painful troubleshooting via chat, a TT engineer has been booked. He couldn't fix the issue and it was escalated to the BT guys.

The BT engineer has managed to reinstate the phone line and broadband but since then my speed is around 20Mbps. I have been checking every day in hope it will increase magically but it seems to have settled at 20Mbps.

Is there anything that can be done to have the regular speeds back?

Many thanks!

Community Team

Hi sobieski,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test to see how the throughput speed compares.

Thanks

sobieski
First Timer

Hi Michelle,

I have switched the router off for 60 minutes and after turning it back on the speed went up to around 35Mbps. Thank you!

Community Team

Hi

glad to hear this has helped. Switching the router off for 30 minutes on Fibre allows the session to close and a new session to start. This is instantaneous for ADSL but on fibre the session remains active for about 20 minutes if the router drops the connection.

Thanks

Karl.