Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow fibre

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Team Player

My speed had started dropping and I registered a fault but have now sorted it which has stopped my disconnections . The line has been stable for days . It seems I've been put on the 5db profile . Can it please be put back onto the 3db now ? Be much appreciated. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi fridaycider906,

I'm sorry but we are unable to manually change profiles, the whole process is automatically managed by BT's line management system (DLM) - you are currently on a 4db profile. Can you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and check to see if the speed has increased 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for the reply.  I had my router off for over an hour to fix the fault and left it switched on since . So will I just have to wait now for it to switch once it monitors a stable line .

Highlighted
Team Player

I was initially getting about 29meg until fault which was as low as 15 and now at 21 so should it increase automatically now ?

Highlighted

If the connection remains stable then it should move you to a faster profile 

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

The router is connected to the filtered master socket bt mk4 . Then we have an extension cable off that to our phone . 

Highlighted

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Haven't had any issues but I dont use it much to be honest. 

Highlighted

Would you be able to connect the router to the test socket and leave it there for a couple of days, to see if this improves your connection stats enough for DLM to move you back to the 3db profile?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

I'll give it a go sometime this week . Do I have to leave it 30 mins before I turn the router back on?

Highlighted

Hi

If you leave the router ff for 30 minutes this will close any current session and allow a new session to start.  This can help going forward when testing for a few days.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player

Also can you see anything in the last 3 days that has been a problem as the attention is 26.10db which isn't too bad as I've looked into .?

Highlighted

Hi

We are seeing a possible issue on the copper line, why Chris asked about any issues with the phone, but other levels look ok.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for the reply. 

Would that mean  that an engineer would need to visit if you can see a possible fault .?

Highlighted

Hi

If the broadband does not pick up in the test socket after 24hrs then we can arrange an engineer.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi . Sorry for slow reply . Tried test socket and now down to 17.8 in speed . Came home to red light on router last night and had to reboot to get connection and have tried another talktalk router .
Highlighted

Hi fridaycider906,

DLM moved you to the 3db profile yesterday so can you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and we'll see if there's any speed improvement

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player
Ok will do and I'll monitor it
Highlighted
Team Player
Does it make any difference if I leave the router off for more than half hour?
Highlighted

Hi 

20-30 minutes is enough time for the session to close.

If you leave the router off for more than 60 minutes then DLM may think the connection has dropped and make a change to try to restore the connection.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips