would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow internet again

52 REPLIES 52
Highlighted
Father Cool
Chat Champion

Ok I'm getting fed up of the service. It seems that I can't go more than a month after sorting out issues that I end up in the cycle of painfully slow internet (1 to 2mbs) which results in me having to reboot my router to get back up to the high 20s.

I am 100% convinced now that talktalk cannot maintain a download speed.

Router downstream rate says 28000 or so speedtests on both wired and wireless between 1 and 2 mbs until I reset the router. I have been through this with technical must be 10 times now and I am sick of it. What do I need to sell to get a proper connection?

KeithFrench
Community Star

I will ask one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Father Cool,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Are you using the HG633 or the 3782 router?

Thanks

Father Cool
Chat Champion

Its  HG633, the downstream rate is good at 29.5k but I'm experiencing the ever returning problem of the download speed from all devices slowly drifting down each day to an unusable 1 to 2 mbs. If I reboot the router I get 27mbs or so for a while but it then drifts down again until its useless, watching Netflix so so bad I may as well have smeared grease on my eyeballs, its worse than when I was on standard broadband, hell its worse than dial up! Not good for a service I am paying extra for. I have had this problem now since I signed up for fibre broadband a couple of years ago and nothing seems to solve it. I have also tried a 3782 router in the past but to no avail. 

Community Team

Hi Father Cool 

Apologies for this.

Have you also tried factory resetting the HG633 router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

Thanks

Debbie

Father Cool
Chat Champion

Not this time but I did in the past with no improvement to download speed after the initial reset of course, the speed just tails off over time, requiring another reset.

As the downstream is running at full I can only assume that something is not working correctly in the router.

Would I see improvement if I bought an aftermarket router do you think?

Community Team

Hi Father Cool

We can send replacement HG633 or DSL3782 router for testing. Alternatively if you contact our Customer Service Team then they can discuss sending a WiFi Hub.

Thanks

Debbie

Father Cool
Chat Champion

I have already been sent replacement versions of both of those routers and the problem persists.

What is the wifi hub?

Community Team

Hi Father Cool

The WiFi Hub is our latest router.  If you contact our Customer Service Team then they can discuss sending a WiFi Hub.

Thanks

Debbie

Father Cool
Chat Champion

Would this be a free router?

Community Team

Hi Father Cool,

There is usually a charge for the WiFi hub.

Chris

Father Cool
Chat Champion

So I have to pay extra to get a service that I am already paying for. Awesome service guys.

Community Team

Hi Father Cool,

I think the WiFi hub was suggested as you'd mentioned getting a 3rd party router, it's entirely up to you, we're not suggesting that you have to get it.

Do you still have the 3782? If you do are you able to retest with it

Chris

Father Cool
Chat Champion

The point was, if it is the router and you have a better one then I shouldn't need to buy an aftermarket one.

I do still have the 3782 yes.

I will try it later.

Community Team

Hi Father Cool,

Ok, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Father Cool
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle,

It was no better. I am now again stuck in the endless cycle of needing to restart my router every few hours because the speed just bleeds off constantly. I restarted my router about 2 hours ago and from 26mbps I am now back down at 2mbps. This simply isn't good enough. I have never had a a good reliable connection and I am seriously beginning to believe that I never will with Talktalk. I work from home, the internet is our entertainment as we only stream tv and movies, we don't have any other tv connection, and yet we have to put up with connections worse than when I was on standard broadband, we got 7mbps then and it was awful. I chose fibre to get me an acceptable 25mbps (although that is pretty poor tbh). I rarely get 10mbps any more.

Community Team

Hi Father Cool,

I'm sorry to hear this. You shouldn't have to keep rebooting the router to increase the throughput speeds.

I've re-run the line tests which are still clear and the sync speed looks consistent. Thanks for retesting the 3782 router, did the drop in speed affect both wired and wireless devices?

As soon as we've confirmed this then we can pass this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Father Cool
Chat Champion

Thanks Michelle,

The router downstream says 33XXXmbps so that seems fine however we never see that in downloads, even when the downloads are 2mbps the downstream still reads 33XXXmbps so something is not right.

I have a PC connected via ethernet wire (albeit through a powerline adapter) and several devices cionnected via wifi. all devices show the same slow speed. The location of the router doesn't lend itself to connecting anything directly via wired connection over a long period of time to test the speed drop though. However I wouldn't expect the powerline connection to read the same as the wifi if there was a wifi fault but it does which points to something else I fear.

Regards

FC

Community Team

Hi Father Cool,

How quickly does the speed drop off at the moment? If it's quite quickly then would it be possible to test the wired connection with the powerline adapter removed to see if this is also affected and to rule this out?

Thanks

Father Cool
Chat Champion

Tested without the powerline and its is still the same.

I switched to the master socket by removing the faceplate of the socket and connecting with a filter which off course restored the speed for a while but has gradually droppd back off to less than 2mbps.

Not happy.