Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow internet speed and getting worse

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi, 

I pay for faster fibre upto 76mb and for over half a year it was around 58mb which was fine. In the past month or so it has reduced slowly from 58 to 51 to 37 and today it is at 27mb. This is the link rate direct from the router and it is connected wired.

27mb is barely 1/3 of what you are advertising and I personally think this is horrible. We have been given multiple routers and I am already connected to the master socket, and we don't turn the internet off frequently so I don't understand why this is happening.

My internet contract expires at the end of this month and if we can't get this fixed I'll just have to go elsewhere because this is unfortunately all too common here.

Apologises for the harsh tone but I am frustrated with these numbers. Please advise,

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi SBibi

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see that the line is in sync at 25mb.

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for 48hrs so we can see if DLM starts to increase the sync speed in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi,

It has been connected at the test socket for months it's always connected on there

Highlighted

Hi SBibi

Thanks for your reply.

Have you also tested with a different router and filter? The next step following this would be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to the property if the sync speed is below the predicted range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have connected the new router that we got last month and used the filter that came with it.

The router settings seems to be the older one that we used to have over a year ago because the whole page looks older. Also the speed is the same at the moment.

I don't understand why we can't just get the wifi hub because this router that I've had 5+ of always just seems to get worse each time. Anyways, I've connected it now but will see if it does anything, although I don't think the router was the issue.

Highlighted

Hi

If you can keep the other router connected for the next 24hrs, if the speed does not improve then the only option we have is to arrange an engineer.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Chat Champion

So far all it has done is go from 19up/25down to 16up/22down.

I'm not turning the internet off though. 22 download speed when paying for 76 is actually abysmal.

Highlighted

Hi SBibi,

Line test is passing but your sync speed is still low. Can you switch your router off and leave it off for 30 minutes. If there's no improvement then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I turned it off for an hour and it is still at 22mb download when turning back on. Please escalate this to an engineer, although I don't wish to be charged for an issue that is not of my volition. 

Highlighted

Hi SBibi,

If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges 
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you'd you to confirm some details

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Yes I do. Please organise the earliest appointment, any time is fine. But let me know in advance. Thanks

Highlighted

Thanks for the PM. I've booked the engineer visit for December 23rd 2019, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi,

The engineer came out today and did a lot of tests and concluded that there was a problem with the line because the previous engineer did the wiring incorrectly and it was causing issues with syncing. Therefore I cannot be viable for any costs as it was not of a fault of my own.

Moving on, the speed has now changed from 16/22 to 12/45. The download speed is better which is good, although it's still not as good as it was before. And the upload speed has dropped moreso which is strange.

I think something still needs to be changed or looked into. For one, the router settings/firmware still looks like it is the much older one that I had over a year ago. Maybe this can be updated? Please advise what else can be done as it still isn't up to par. Although please do not do anything that can make it worse as I like the fact that it is now 'fast' and not 'interleaved' which is very helpful for ping.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Never mind, it looks like it has automatically changed to 11/39 and gone back to interleaved. Also since switching to this new router there have been a lot of WiFi issues with disconnects or it being really slow. Please can you update the router firmware or something to fix this?

Even after an engineer visit we havent gotten closer to the numbers it was the majority of the time of the contract, and I don't see why this is such an issue. My contract expires January 4th and I would really like this resolved before then please, or I'll have to start looking elsewhere, especially since the Internet has just become more unstable since creating this thread.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Correction, it is not a WiFi issue, it's both WiFi and wired. Whatever the engineer did, it just made it worse. The internet drops out multiple times an hour when it never used to do that before. Although it may be the new router that I installed who knows. Either way it is frustrating and needs to be resolved as something is terribly wrong with the internet since the new router / engineer visit.....

Hi SBibi,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test which is clear, however the connection does look unstable. Is the connection still unstable if you re-connect the original router? If the connection is still unstable with both routers then we'll need to arrange another engineer visit.

Thanks