would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow internet

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Sightseer

Hello,

We are on Superfast Fiber contract, but only getting around 20Mb/s. Just checked speed on talktalk website and is 17.6Mb/s.

Until not long ago we used to get around 45Mb/s (measured with a cable) which I was relatively happy with.

But paying for something which is supposed to give you 67Mb/s and only getting 17Mb/s is not fair at all. We have the new hub router from talktalk.

The speed has been reported but without any results yet. I wonder if the speed has been dropped just to keep up with the high internet traffic demand caused by the self isolation.

Another possible thing for slow speed might be the fact that I used to turn the  router off at night. Just read that is recommended to leave the router on all the time, otherwise the system might drop the speed down on purpose in order to stabilize the line. Is that true, and if it is how long it will take to come back to normal?

Just to let you know that I have restarted my router, left it off for about 30min.

Thank you

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi, it is true that turning the router off and on multiple times can cause your speed to reduce. This is because the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) will see the disconnection of your router as a potential fault and will start to reduce your speed to try to give you a stable connection.

However if you just turn the router off once at night, and then on again in the morning this should not be a problem, DLM is only likely to step in if the router is disconnected and reconnected multiple times per day.

I believe the way DLM works is that it looks at your connectivity in 15 minute 'windows', if your connection drops during one 15 minute window, then as long as the router remains off for the rest of that 15 minute window and whole of the next 15 minute window then the DLM system is clever enough to know that you have intentionally switched your router off, and therefore it would not count that disconnection as a potential 'fault'.

For example if you switch your router off at 7 minutes past the hour, then as long as you leave it switched off until after 30 minutes past the hour then DLM would not consider that line drop as a potential fault. It is only if your line exceeds a certain number of 'faults' in a day that DLM might take action.

DLM collects stats during the day, and if action is required it will make changes in the early hours of the morning (this would cause your connection to drop and reconnect), if DLM has reduced your line speed due to a fault then it would also gradually increase your line speed again once your connection was stable and not showing faults. I think it can start increasing your line speed after 24/48 hours of stable connection.

An additional reason why it is good to leave your router on overnight is that Talk Talk themselves may carry our maintenance work at night, for example upgrading the firmware of your router.

Highlighted
Sightseer
Hi, thank you for your reply. To be honest I did turn it off a few times a day, everytime I left home. And I've been doing that for months. I will leave it on from now on and check if the speed improves in the next few days. I will come back in about a week time if the speed doesn't improve.
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Would also be worth logging onto the router and checking the connection information, just to see what speed your line is actually syncing at. It will very much depend on what router you have on exactly what you need to look for, but on my router there is a section called 'Broadband Information' and within there it lists the 'Downstream line rate (kbit/s)'.

I personally just have the standard 38Mb fibre, my 'Downstream line rate (kbit/s)' shows as 39806, and when I do a speed test I do actually get somewhere around 37Mb. So that shows my download speed is making pretty much full use of the speed the line has actually synced at. So would be interesting to compare your sync speed and real world download speed (i.e. are you syncing at a good high speed up around 70000, or is it only syncing at a much slower speed that is more similar to the actual download rate that you are getting.

Highlighted
Sightseer
Just checked, and I've got the following:
Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 7200
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 22380
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 23214
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 69280 (does this mean the line is capable of supporting a speed of up to 69Mb/s?)
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 17.4
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 16.0
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 2.4
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 4.7 (I believe this is something to do with the noise on the line, but don't know what these values should be)
Upstream output power (dBm): -2.7
Downstream output power (dBm): 12.6
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi John_Wayne

Apologies for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 22.3mb.

I can see re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed. Is the connection dropping or have you rebooted the router?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer
Hi Debbie,

The connection is not dropping, I have turned the router off for about 30min yesterday following these recommendations:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Fix-slow-broadband-speeds/ta-p/2204649

I will leave it on for now on and hoping to see a gradual improvement over the coming days.

Thank you for your support
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi John_Wayne

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you post back here on Wednesday and we can check the connection stats/speed again.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer
Ok, will do.
Thank you Debbie.
Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 69280

When your router connects it talks to a bit of equipment in your local green street cabinet called a DSLAM, your router and the DSLAM will decide on the sync speed that your line should connect at. This number is the maximum downstream rate your line could theoretically handle if it was not being limited in any way (i.e. by the DLM reducing your speed to try to keep your line stable).

Despite the maximum rate indicated above your router and the DSLAM decided to sync at around 22Mb, so this will mean that whilst it is synced at that speed the absolute maximum real world download speed your are going to get is going to be a bit under 22Mb.

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 16.0

If the DLM thinks your line is unstable it will instruct your connection to target a higher noise safety coefficient (often called Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)), this number is basically how much louder the broadband signal is from the normal background noise on your phone line. When your router syncs it will attempt to achieve the targeted SNR, the lower the speed it syncs at the higher SNR it will be able to achieve, so if the DLM has configured your connection to require a high SNR then this will force your router to connect at a slower sync speed to try to achieve that SNR target.

So it may well be that due to multiple drops on your line (due to your regular off/on cycles) the DLM thinks you have an unstable line and has instructed your connection to try to achieve a SNR of 16db, this may then be forcing your router to connect at 22Mb in order to achieve an SNR of 16db. My connection shows an SNR of around 10db, and that gives me the maximum sync rate than I'm entitled to of 39806.

Downstream line attenuation (dB): 4.7

Attenuation is a measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and your router, the main cause of this degradation is simply the length of the copper phone line between the DSLAM and your router, so the lower this number the better. I think 4.7 is a good number, mine is around 10.

So let's hope that if you leave the connection up for a few days you may see the DLM start to increase your speed. If so you should start to see your Downstream noise safety coefficient (the target SNR) drop, this will then allow your Downstream line rate to increase to be much closer to your theoretical maximum.

I'm not sure what the standard target SNR is for your router, but from documentation I have read the BT standard is 6db, the TalkTalk standard is 9db, and the DLM is able to increase that up to 18db in order to try to stabilise a poor connection. I have a pretty stable connection, and my SNR is around 10.

Highlighted
Sightseer
Wow, very good explanation.
Thank you Skynet_TX
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi John,

How are you getting on? 🙂

Thanks

Highlighted
Sightseer
Hi Michelle,

Please see below router info (Wednesday @1.50 PM). As you can see, no improvement unfortunately.

DSL synchronization status: Up
Connection status: Showtime
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 23098
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 69964
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 17.2
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 15.6
Line standard: Vdsl2_ANNEX_B
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 4.6
Upstream output power (dBm): -2.8
Downstream output power (dBm): 12.6
DSL up time: 2 days 12 hours 55 minutes 38 seconds

Thank you
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi John_Wayne,

Thanks for the information

How many telephone socket do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Sightseer
Hi Chris,

I have a FTTC Mk3 socket in which are plugged the router and the phone. There are two more basic (classic type) unused sockets in the house.
I have tested the router via the test socket through a filter and the results are the same. Please see below:

DSL synchronization status: Up
Connection status: Showtime
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 23158
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 70088
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 17.3
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 15.3
Line standard: Vdsl2_ANNEX_B
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 4.6
Upstream output power (dBm): -3.0
Downstream output power (dBm): 12.5
DSL up time: 0 day 0 hour 9 minutes 17 seconds

Until last week I was using a different router (TP Link ArcherAC1600) and the speed was the same and only swap it to talktalk hub following your recommendation. So there is no problem with the router itself. I think I'll keep using the Talktalk hub as the wifi range seems to be better.

Thank you
Highlighted
Sightseer
Sorry forgot to mention, telephone is fine, no noise on the line.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi John_Wayne

Thanks for the additional information.

Did you leave the router at the test socket for the full 48hrs? (without rebooting) I can see a number of re connections showing on the line.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer
Hi Debbie,

Sorry haven't been told to leave it for 48h. Only left it for 15-20 min and reverted back after posting router readings.
I plugged in today again in the test socket and I will leave it connected that way for full 48h. I'll report the readings back here after.
In the meantime, keep safe!
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi John_Wayne

Thanks for your reply.

We usually advise to allow 48hrs to give DLM time to monitor the connection and make changes to the profile. Apologies that you were not advised of this. If you post back here on Saturday then I can check the connection stats again to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed/profile.

Thank you, same to you too 🙂

Debbie